Champions League Final 2016

coda

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Poor Athletico. They are never going to win it are they? The betters side for most of it but should have gone all out for the winner in normal time. 3 finals, 3 defeats-sounds depressingly familiar.

true but they were a tad lucky to go through on pens against PSV earlier in the tournament. 

Pepe is a disgrace and Ronaldo was absent during the game. Build the team around Bale and watch him go. 

Simeone has done a fantastic job and the average age of the squad has dropped significantly, will be sad to see Griezeman go which I think he will but at east they can replace him with Vietto, Correa or Borja Baston. They've probably got a few other youth teamers or young South Americans on loan as well. The future is bright for them as long as they don't let the vultures pick them apart. 

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

What was the tournament where Portugal missed every or majority of penalties and went out? Ronaldo never took one.

I always feel you put your best penalty takers first.

The 2012 Euros, he was due to take the fifth penalty apparently. If he thinks there's a chance of ending up on the front page with his shirt off, he'll do it (without getting booked for doing so no doubt....I'm onto you Cristiano...).

I don't want to get onto the Ronaldo hate train, he's a wonderful player, one of the best ever and deserves his success. 

But his ego is too much sometimes. Look at tonight, after he scored, did he turn straight around to celebrate with his team mates? Nope, ran off on his own, shirt off, look at me, I've done it again, blah blah blah. And the commentators pleasuring themselves over him don't help (admittedly I can't blame him for that).

Anyway, the penalty shootout order. I remember seeing a theory that you should have your best penalty takers taking the last one because they're more likely to be more intense.

However, I'm not sure this makes practical sense because if your poor penalty takers have already missed, then your good penalty takers may not get chance to take one at all.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

the amazing thing is the vultures have picked them apart and yet simeone has somehow got probably the most exciting young complete squad in europe

oblak, oliver, saul, koke, lucas, gimenez...thats a core of a team for the next ten years, if they can get vietto, kranvitter and correa to fulfill their potential too they should be winning and competing for la liga and the CL for the next decade

27 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Ronaldo always steps up 4th or 5th...because he wants to be the man. The cock.

Ridiculous comment. Ronaldo is an amazing talent he is not a cock at all. His determination and dedication to be where he is is second to none. He has everything you could ever want and need in life but he still puts in so much effort into his training and what he does on the pitch he deserves all the success he gets. Call him a cock all you like but of our players had put in half the effort he puts in day in day out then we would still be in the premier league. As dedicated athletes and professionals go he is right at the top of the tree. He is a genius and he is one of the greatest footballers of all time.I feel I have been lucky to see him in my lifetime. Brilliant player, utterly brilliant. Joy to watch, end of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Ridiculous comment. Ronaldo is an amazing talent he is not a cock at all. His determination and dedication to be where he is is second to none. He has everything you could ever want and need in life but he still puts in so much effort into his training and what he does on the pitch he deserves all the success he gets. Call him a cock all you like but of our players had put in half the effort he puts in day in day out then we would still be in the premier league. As dedicated athletes and professionals go he is right at the top of the tree. He is a genius and he is one of the greatest footballers of all time.I feel I have been lucky to see him in my lifetime. Brilliant player, utterly brilliant. Joy to watch, end of.

While I agree. Do you need some tissues?

• Like 1

The 2012 Euros, he was due to take the fifth penalty apparently. If he thinks there's a chance of ending up on the front page with his shirt off, he'll do it (without getting booked for doing so no doubt....I'm onto you Cristiano...).

I don't want to get onto the Ronaldo hate train, he's a wonderful player, one of the best ever and deserves his success. 

But his ego is too much sometimes. Look at tonight, after he scored, did he turn straight around to celebrate with his team mates? Nope, ran off on his own, shirt off, look at me, I've done it again, blah blah blah. And the commentators pleasuring themselves over him don't help (admittedly I can't blame him for that).

Anyway, the penalty shootout order. I remember seeing a theory that you should have your best penalty takers taking the last one because they're more likely to be more intense.

However, I'm not sure this makes practical sense because if your poor penalty takers have already missed, then your good penalty takers may not get chance to take one at all.

There's a human element though. Some players don't want that pressure. You also don't want your last takers being shit and having to handle the pressure, ideally.

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

agree with all of it apart from the highlighted

i get no joy from ronaldo, he just seems sterile, almost mechanical, he's a goalscoring machine and a statto's wet dream, i get nothing from that though, give me messi, the proper ronaldo or ronaldinho over him any day of the week

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and then spent the remainder of the shootout crying IIRC

Yep, I actually can't recall who scored the winning penalty.

I remember terry missed, I remember ronaldo missed, no idea who scored the winner.

Â