England v Australia

andykeenan

15 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

No, 1 goal in 4 years was a typo on my part. You said 1 goal 4 years ago which is just incorrect. But fine. I agree he hasn't scored as much as I'd have liked, but that doesn't change the fact we have a better chance with him than Rashford, Carroll, Defoe and whatever other fringe players would take his place

England can't even win a friendly with Rooney scoring without both England and Rooney being criticised. It's ridiculous. Can't win either way.

I was quoting you when you said : "Pretty sure he scored at the last one."  - Meaning he scored at the last tournament - so I agreed with you - that he had scored 1 goal in 4 years (at tournaments.)

I then pointed out that was his 2nd goal in 12 years (at tournaments.)

------

Whether or not he is the best option compared to Rashford etc. is just opinions which is part of the reason we love football.

---------

I do admit to generally disliking the England/FA team/money making machine. 

My general distain for England started with the 'Golden generation' and all modern footballers who see England caps as a way of increasing their revenue streams and personal brands/cache. Rooney, Gerrard/Sterling can all do one.

I can remember when it was the height of someones career to pull on the England shirt and money couldn't buy that feeling. Now it seems that the players focus on getting the best contracts they can, rather than being the best that they can.
Secretly I would love to support England with the same passion I used to support them as a kid, but sadly I just get the feeling that the players don't give a f*ck.

31 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Jedinak, Mooy, Rogic, Luongo.

That' our midfield sorted. Get them in, Dr Xia. :-)

Would take any of them over the current bunch. Particularly Rogic. Mooy is brilliant too. 

11 hours ago, penguin said:

One of the biggest myths in football.

Scores and assists a goal in a 2-1 win over Bosnia.

Scores brilliant injury time goal to beat Iran 1-0.

Scores 2 in a 3-2 win over Nigeria.

Assists goal against Switzerland in 1-0 second round win.

Involved in goal in 1-0 win over Belgium in the quarters.

Scores in shootout against Holland. 

So yeah, fair to say that without him they wouldn't have even got out the group stage let a lone the final.

Messi was good at the start but really didn't influence much in the knock out games, like actually scoring a goal himself. He missed a very good chance in the final btw which people seem to have forgotten compared to the one Higuain missed.

Didn't see any of the game last night due to being at a very good friend's wedding all day yesterday. Pretty worrying another game where there wasn't a clean sheet, did Australia have more chances aside from the own goal.

One positive would be though....if fit....Kane, Vardy, Rooney, Rashford (he has to go surely) and Sturridge. Does any other team in the tournament have a set of strikers as good as that. Of course you need to get the ball to them  which may be an issue but look at their goalscoring...Sturridge if he can walk goes as he'd be a major threat off the bench and rather take him than another wide player who dribbles down blind alleys.

When I look at other contenders France have a lot of quality but they tend to be wide players, their central strikers are Giroud and Gignac,  Italy have little upfront and Spain have decent strikers but their most prolific one is Aduriz who is 35 now and has little tournament experience himself.

Could say Germany but again are Reus and Mueller strikers or midfielders? Still got Mario Gomez in the squad....

England and Belgium  have best striker options in tournament but of course you need to get the right balance....

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Scores and assists a goal in a 2-1 win over Bosnia.

Scores brilliant injury time goal to beat Iran 1-0.

Scores 2 in a 3-2 win over Nigeria.

Assists goal against Switzerland in 1-0 second round win.

Involved in goal in 1-0 win over Belgium in the quarters.

Scores in shootout against Holland. 

So yeah, fair to say that without him they wouldn't have even got out the group stage let a lone the final.

Of course they would have, their group was piss poor. Outside the group, in the finals, they were one of the most insipid sides I've ever seen, attacking wise. Scoring just one goal in normal time, they scrapped through on the strength of their defence, primarily Mascherano, and their GK. Conceding zero goals until Gotze, their GK making numerous excellent saves and two in the penalty shoot out. To say an attacker 'dragged' them to the final wouldn't even have been a thought I it wasn't people desperate to big up Messi.

Edited by penguin

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

they got 2 goals in 4 knockout games and 3 went to extra time, Messi was woeful in knockout rounds

Mascherano was Argentina's best player at the last world cup by a mile, remember that last ditch tackle on Robben in the semi final.

Â