Other Football Transfer Talk Summer 2016

Genie

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Neven Subotic to Boro :blink: :(

Thought he was highly rated? I expected a big team to be in for him

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Pelle off to china

Effectively retiring from top level football. 

Still, his bank balance will look healthy 

His sale also follows the departures this summer of Victor Wanyama and Sadio Mane but the club have bought Nathan Redmond from Norwich City and had recruited Charlie Austin in January as a future Pelle replacement.

The plan, then, is not to seek a replacement for Pelle, with new manager Claude Puel believing he has enough striker options already at the club in Austin, Shane Long and Jay Rodriguez.

Southampton, however, are actively searching for a replacement in central midfield for Wanyama.

353DF35900000578-0-image-a-40_1465860800

The club were under the impression that Pelle wanted to leave in January, hence the decision to do the deal for Austin, and there would now appear to be little appetite on either side for Pelle to extend his deal.

Pelle has scored twice for Italy during Euro 2016 and also scored 30 goals over his two years under Ronald Koeman at Southampton.

As well as the £13 million fee, Sandong Luneng are ready to offer Pelle wages in excess of £100,000-a-week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/08/graziano-pelle-to-leave-southampton-for-china-in-13-million-deal/

Why the **** would a professional player  think of leaving for a tin-pot nouveau riche league in a year when he's been a regular for one of the major footballing nations of the world, I have no idea. It honestly beggars belief.

Sure he's entering his 30's now, but given that he's just had a pretty decent tournament, I would think that he would be pretty confident in his current ability and be willing to continue testing himself in top European leagues.

Edited by legov

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't get it. Yeah, yeah, money. But he wasn't playing for Southampton for free. Surely he must have been on a fair whack before? Or am I overestimating what Southampton were paying him?

I'm not sure he'd be on a huge amount. Didn't do a whole lot before he got to Feyenoord and don't see a team like Saints paying massive wages. But even if that were the case, you'd think a team in a decent league would've had him on a decent wage still.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't get it. Yeah, yeah, money. But he wasn't playing for Southampton for free. Surely he must have been on a fair whack before? Or am I overestimating what Southampton were paying him?

On the face of it it certainly is an odd move, but looking at Pelle's career this will be a salary like nothing he's seen before. One would imagine he'll be on around £40k per week at Southampton, perhaps his room to negotiate a better contract isn't great if they're planning to go with Austin, Rodriguez and Long next season? 

Having just turned 30, his manager has just left and it's questionable whether he'd get another 3 or 4 years of top flight English football you can see why a player could be tempted by such a move financially.

So having succeeded in England and represented his country, he gets to more than double his pay, play at an easier level for the next 3 or 4 years and nets himself £15/20m in the process. Plus the endorsements for being a big fish in a hugely populated pond must be huge. It makes sense for the retirement plan. Just not from the sporting challenge side.

• Like 1

also he was hardly playing at end of last season as Long was ahead of him so doubt he would have got a similar contract elsewhere. Dont know who Italy manager will be but I also doubt Pelle will be used again for national team

46 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

On the face of it it certainly is an odd move, but looking at Pelle's career this will be a salary like nothing he's seen before. One would imagine he'll be on around £40k per week at Southampton, perhaps his room to negotiate a better contract isn't great if they're planning to go with Austin, Rodriguez and Long next season? 

Having just turned 30, his manager has just left and it's questionable whether he'd get another 3 or 4 years of top flight English football you can see why a player could be tempted by such a move financially.

So having succeeded in England and represented his country, he gets to more than double his pay, play at an easier level for the next 3 or 4 years and nets himself £15/20m in the process. Plus the endorsements for being a big fish in a hugely populated pond must be huge. It makes sense for the retirement plan. Just not from the sporting challenge side.

You'd think 40k/week would be enough for his retirement plan.

59 minutes ago, legov said:

You'd think 40k/week would be enough for his retirement plan.

Sure, but I imagine it's different when you're actually given the option. Plus, the endorsements will be in the millions too. He's literally retired from top-flight football in exchange for a very handsome payday.

You'd want your sportsmen to want to push themselves for as long as they can, but more than doubling your pay for less physically challenging work is an understandable decision IMO. 

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Newcastle signed Gamez from Atletico Madrid....

Bit part player there but Benitez as manager gives you that pull as a club to attract players.

What like highly promising Italian keepekeepers? ;)