Other Football Transfer Talk Summer 2016

Genie

Mikhtiyran is a brilliant signing. Scored something like 25 goals and 30 assists last year in Bundesliga. Remarkable. Sold for 20 odd million?

Mane... haha. average signing. Liverpool never learn. I guess they cant attract top class players anymore. 

Palace spending 30 million on one player? Yes he is worth it.. but geez... shows how far we have fallen. 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Crystal Palace paying £31.6m for Batshuayi. That's your new money right there.

With the money the Premier League has, it won't be long before just about every top player is in.

Palace offering almost 50% of what it cost to buy Villa. Just shows how far we've fallen and damaging being out of the PL will be.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Crystal Palace paying £31.6m for Batshuayi. That's your new money right there.

With the money the Premier League has, it won't be long before just about every top player is in.

People will still want to live in Madrid, Barcelona, Paris and Munich, The lifestyle, climate and well those teams are half decent. 

The prem will continue signing players below that top bracket (Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Bale, Lewandowski, Kroos etc) and claim just because they cost 30-50m they're world class.

Batshuayi is nowhere near world class but that's the sort who'll come to the prem imo rather than the elite.

• Like 2

There are a small handful of teams in Europe who can compete - but this deal means that Palace can outspend all but maybe half a dozen clubs in the world outside of England. That's its power. It's the reality of our relegation.

I think players coming over to mediocre clubs for fortunes will also come over without a work ethic.  They'll know the likes of Palace probably won't win anything, so they'll saunter around picking up their enormous wages and add very little to the league.  It's like the Premier League has become an MLS for players who aren't of retirement age yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just goes to show how big a **** up getting relegated was.

not really, £100m extra in the coffers means you can buy players for £32m and pay them £100k a week plus signing bonuses and agents fees thats probably around £40-45m of it gone

or they could have signed him from leige 2 years ago for about £6m

it just means we need a proper / better scouting set up

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just goes to show how big a **** up getting relegated was.

Except, assuming we come back up within the next two years (big assumption I know), we will be the famous Aston Villa with a 'winning' squad, reduced outgoings and the same income as the likes of Palace to play with. So potentially even more bunse to burn. 

In theory, of course. Relegation COULD still be a good thing for us given the state we were in. 

While it has all clearly gone bonkers, I don't see Sadio Mané as being a particularly egregious example of that.  I think he's a very solid £25m player and in this market I don't think the extra is that mad.  There'll be far worse examples than him.  At 24 y/o and alongside Firmino, Coutinho and whoever else they bring in, I think he'll be very good for Liverpool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

not really, £100m extra in the coffers means you can buy players for £32m and pay them £100k a week plus signing bonuses and agents fees thats probably around £40-45m of it gone

or they could have signed him from leige 2 years ago for about £6m

it just means we need a proper / better scouting set up

But now Crystal Palace can afford a better one of those too. I'm sure they'd rather have paid £6 million for him. And all a scouting set up does is increase your chances of uncovering a gem - unless you're Chelsea who have just bought up every bit of available talent. You'll still have to shell out for proven talent, which Palace can do. And teams who aren't in the PL currently probably can't. 

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

While it has all clearly gone bonkers, I don't see Sadio Mané as being a particularly egregious example of that.  I think he's a very solid £25m player and in this market I don't think the extra is that mad.  There'll be far worse examples than him.  At 24 y/o and alongside Firmino, Coutinho and whoever else they bring in, I think he'll be very good for Liverpool.

In this new market who knows what Saido Mane is really worth. It's still finding its feet. 

In the 'old' market I'd have him down as a £20m player and so £25m is not a ridiculous leap. He's still a bit raw and inconsistent, but in a good set up with a manager like Klopp I can see him excelling.  

Different type of player of course but is he a million miles away from Benteke in terms of overall ability?

Chelsea signing Batshauyi for 30m.

Think they're in for a shock if they think they're signing the next Drogba given he's coming from Marseille. I've said it plenty of times but his hold up play needs a lot of work for the  premier league.

Not sure he's that much better than Loic Remy really.