Insight to Villa’s take over by Tony Xia - How football as a business is run in China

Deisler123

So, when Aston Villa start their championship season will most chinese football supporters support their local team as well as Villa ? 

Here in Perth 99.9% of football supporters support their local/A-league team as well as an English team.

4 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

So, when Aston Villa start their championship season will most chinese football supporters support their local team as well as Villa ? 

Here in Perth 99.9% of football supporters support their local/A-league team as well as an English team.

won't be a lot if Villa stay in Championships. If they fight back to PL, 1 million at least i would say. If they play in Champions league, 3-5 millions. 

if Villa has a chinese player in the first team, or even first 11, 10million at least. 

And every single Villa game will be broadcasted live in China, no doubt about it.

But it all comes down to how good the Villa football is, which is down to how good the club management is

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

And every single Villa game will be broadcasted live in China, no doubt about it.

But it all comes down to how good the Villa football is, which is down to how good the club management is

Hey Deisler, thanks for the informative posts.

What are the chances of Villa games being shown in China this coming season with Villa being in the Championship, but owned by a Chinese national?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chewie said:

Hey Deisler, thanks for the informative posts.

What are the chances of Villa games being shown in China this coming season with Villa being in the Championship, but owned by a Chinese national?

I can only talk about Mainland China. The chance is 0, if none of the following happens:

1) A lot of PR happening by Recon in China (little effect, because Recon is not a big thing at all).

2) A player can play in the first 11 continously (70% chance)

3) A player can play in the first team (30% chance)

4) a few youth players (0 chance)

Just give you two things and you may find the relevance between them,

a) central TV channel bought Premier League rights for the first time in the history, last year

b. President visited UK last year, talked about football many times in his speech, and visited Man City.

:D

Edited by Deisler123
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

...corrupted with awful human rights record (I strongly disagree with that, although it often is claimed by some journalists working for CNN/BCC...

No wonder you said it was a controversial topic in the other thread.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

Thanks for your insight Deisler. I think we're all a bit twitchy with the lack of information/changing information, anything you can provide us with to help us understand how business works in China is a good thing. 

Ultimately though, all we can do is hypothesise, and hope for the best. Time will tell of course. 

Maybe Steve Hollis should have been given this insight - it could be that everything is ok, but this kind of information would have been invaluable during his negotiations. (Just my personal musings :) )

• Like 1

Ok another question what is the difference between Hong Kong now back with China and the mainland?

As you are probably aware our neighbours were bought by a HK hairdresser who is now in jail!  So they operate outside of Government control or they can pick and choose?

I guess what I am asking is, is it a safer to be owned by a mainland company?

51 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Ok another question what is the difference between Hong Kong now back with China and the mainland?

As you are probably aware our neighbours were bought by a HK hairdresser who is now in jail!  So they operate outside of Government control or they can pick and choose?

I guess what I am asking is, is it a safer to be owned by a mainland company?

HongKong is very different. The whole idea that China got it back from Thatcher is to have a different system running in Hongkong for 50 years at least. But you know things are not that straightforward.

HK is at the edge of a necessary change. In my opinion, a change that is required more in how local people think. 20 years ago, they are far more richer than mainland, so they feel good and superior (nothing wrong with it). 

But now, they are very dependent on mainland, in terms of resources, income, tourisms and everything. And mainlanders are much richer now, probably richer than HK (not in terms of the average of whole population ofc). So some of the local HKers think it is the government's fault, without realising that the world is changing now.

I guess no use to get into these political non-sense (i am interested in politics but have no interests in discussing it online...). HKers do not have full control over what they can pick and choose - Beijing picked a few candidates for them and then HKers vote for one of them. That was the reason why a lot of protests last year in HK. I always joke on that, and it is only a Joke so dont take it seriously - Since when British overlords gave their choice over who the next leader of HK will be when they were part of the UK in the last 100 years? And why would HKer get anything different than what mainlainders get in terms of political rights? I personally even need a permit to go to HK as a Chinese citizen, and british citizens don't, what the hell? (you see why the two groups of people have strong opinions on each other at the first place? Yes, In-Equality that is.) The government has to correct that, and they are working on that.

Regarding your question: 'I guess what I am asking is, is it a safer to be owned by a mainland company?' It is hardly that black and white. If Villa is owned (fully) by Wanda and Evergrande Group, congratulations, Villa will win Premier league within 5 years, and I am willing to bet on that. If Villa is owned by National Electricity Network (who owns Shandong Luneng atm in China - I will talk about this club and how it is run awfully in my next post), you'd better pray for staying in Championships (i say this quite seriously)! These owners all have the commonality - very RICH; It is their difference that makes the difference - how they manage the clubs.

Edited by Deisler123
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Good read so far.

The most important thing that I'm sure we'd all like to know is who is Tony, and does he have the financial clout to do what he says he is going to do? 

No one knows to be sure but you don't buy a football club and on the global news stage spout plans of football world domination if you don't have a lot of cash. Someone of modest wealth would come in and make modest claims of stability and hopeful success, not we'll win the Premier League is 5 years and be the biggest team in the world in 10 years that just doesn't happen. I mean we are in the Championship a league where the transfer record is like £10 million, most teams get promoted spending about £10 million in a transfer window. Xia basically said the equivalent of "we can spend £20, £30, £50 million or you know whatever the manager wants to spend". Even those in the media have said £30 million is absurd in the Championship and we could be spending £50 million+ so he has plans and money, not sure where the money is coming from but he has it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

No one knows to be sure but you don't buy a football club and on the global news stage spout plans of football world domination if you don't have a lot of cash. Someone of modest wealth would come in and make modest claims of stability and hopeful success, not we'll win the Premier League is 5 years and be the biggest team in the world in 10 years that just doesn't happen. I mean we are in the Championship a league where the transfer record is like £10 million, most teams get promoted spending about £10 million in a transfer window. Xia basically said the equivalent of "we can spend £20, £30, £50 million or you know whatever the manager wants to spend". Even those in the media have said £30 million is absurd in the Championship and we could be spending £50 million+ so he has plans and money, not sure where the money is coming from but he has it. 

This. If he has the money to invest then I'd much rather we had it than any body else. 

The worrying bit is how flippant he is about adding extra £10m's on to the budget in the interview. Smacks a bit like a new kid in a playground trying to impress everybody else. OR it could just be a translation/adaptation thing. Maybe he doesn't know how much a decent transfer budget is in the championship.

Anyway! Love the info in the thread Deisler! Definitely helps to understand things a bit better. 

13 minutes ago, Duck said:

The worrying bit is how flippant he is about adding extra £10m's on to the budget in the interview. Smacks a bit like a new kid in a playground trying to impress everybody else. OR it could just be a translation/adaptation thing. Maybe he doesn't know how much a decent transfer budget is in the championship.

That part seemed to be dependent on what the new manager deems necessary.

15 minutes ago, gaffmaster said:

That part seemed to be dependent on what the new manager deems necessary.

Yeah also may have been a bit of ass covering after he realised he likely shouldn't talk about funds in an interview every club can hear. Make it as vague as possible is likely the best idea there. 

22 minutes ago, villarocker said:

A great thread, Deisler and a very interesting read. 

Out of interest, do you have much knowledge of Xia? Is you gut feeling saying he will be good or bad for Villa? 

no. He is very little known to Chinese people. But in a few weeks we will know. Once he officially takes over the club, he will do a lot of things - this is my prediction- whether or not that will be good for villa, no one knows.

• Like 1

Â