Football League proposes new five-league, 100-club system

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36335384

English football could be heading for its biggest shake-up since the creation of the Premier League in 1992.

The Football League wants to create an extra division with 20 teams in each from 2019-20.

It would mean England had 100 teams in five divisions, up from 92. Currently, there are 24 teams in the Championship, League One and League Two.

The Football League says the move would tackle fixture congestion and boost the finances of its members.

The Premier League and the FA have backed the proposal "in principle".

The current 72 Football League clubs will decide whether they support the move at their annual general meeting in June 2017.

"There are clear benefits for everyone," Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey told BBC Sport.

"It is about taking a step back to try to work out what is best for English football.

"We hope that the Football League taking this first step is the catalyst for future change."

Sounds interesting, dunno what to make of it myself.

I find this unfair on the smaller clubs though as they will get less fixtures at home therefore effecting their revenue. If they are happy with the current format then they should not change it. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I find this unfair on the smaller clubs though as they will get less fixtures at home therefore effecting their revenue. If they are happy with the current format then they should not change it. 

It says in the article the new format would boost everyone's finances, so I'm sure they've already thought of that.

Plus they get to vote on it, so if they're happy with the current format, they won't change it.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It says in the article the new format would boost everyone's finances, so I'm sure they've already thought of that.

Plus they get to vote on it, so if they're happy with the current format, they won't change it.

Yeah I think they are referring to less match day costs and not requiring as bigger squads not more in terms of TV money. I think the current formats good enough to be honest

If they do change it, the final season in the run up will be a doozy.  Half the clubs in league 2 getting relegated will be insane pressure.  And 7 from the championship.  Let's hope we're nothing to do with it by then.

Â