Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

I watched a youtube documentary recently on the recent Wrigley Field renovations that have taken place. It is fairly unusual in the states in the fact it is over 100 years old and the Cubs didn't flatten it and leave to a new ballpark. I did go a few years  back to the friendly confines and I was aware it been modernised but didn't realise how much. Like $575 million's worth!  They could have saved $100 million by playinng somewhere else for a year but that would have been 2016 when they actually won the world series which they had last won in 1908.

They built a underground new clubhouse for the players, crazy.  All the foundations had to be lowered as well.  Villa Park obviously a different sort of ground in the fact that all the stands are less than 50 years old but would be great if the owners could take a similar holistic view of total ground renovations. I don't expect them to spend half a billion on it to be fair though.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I watched a youtube documentary recently on the recent Wrigley Field renovations that have taken place. It is fairly unusual in the states in the fact it is over 100 years old and the Cubs didn't flatten it and leave to a new ballpark. I did go a few years  back to the friendly confines and I was aware it been modernised but didn't realise how much. Like $575 million's worth!  They could have saved $100 million by playinng somewhere else for a year but that would have been 2016 when they actually won the world series which they had last won in 1908.

They built a underground new clubhouse for the players, crazy.  All the foundations had to be lowered as well.  Villa Park obviously a different sort of ground in the fact that all the stands are less than 50 years old but would be great if the owners could take a similar holistic view of total ground renovations. I don't expect them to spend half a billion on it to be fair though.

Fenway Park home of the Boston Red Sox, is still recognisable as the same stadium from photos taken of it from 1912, when it was built. As you say, it’s unusual for any stadium in the USA not to have been flattened and rebuilt at least once in a timescale like that. Visited it and took a tour in 2007. Was shown around by a pretty old guy who’d been a fan since boyhood. He had some great tales of the old ground.

Edited by meregreen

On 13/10/2021 at 17:54, Stephen_Evans said:

I don't suppose you can post these in a higher resolution?  Do you know if these are Lerner plans or something from Xia's project?

Lerner plans. Don`t know how to post in A higher resolution.. A error message says I am not allowed to post.

3 different options.

image.jpeg.aa8a7bd2518efff38b949df13b31bdd8.jpeg

Edited by villa82
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Lerner plans. Don`t know how to post in A higher resolution.. A error message says I am not allowed to post.

3 different options.

image.jpeg.aa8a7bd2518efff38b949df13b31bdd8.jpeg

The join with the Trinity Road Stand looked interesting and I love the red brick.  I wonder if Lerner had any plans to give the Trinity itself an architectural facelift.

33 minutes ago, villa82 said:

FAD8D387-25EC-4222-97D0-4EF42698FB2C.png

Option 2 restricted wrap around for me simply because it looks better, with the external stairways and it is a compromise between full wrap and independent stands.  Hopefully NSWE have brushed the dust off these.  They will have their own ideas but a lot of preliminary work will still be useful.

Have to remember that those plans are well over 10 years old. So if anything did happen it could look a lot different to that.  I am not construction expert but I fear that prices could be increasing due to all the labour and material shortages post covid. Hope that doesn't stop the plans progressing.

It could be an age thing but I just love Villa Park and would hate it if we ever moved. The red brick facade, stained glass windows, the mosaic, the Holte Hotel etc. It’s a unique venue. Obviously, we’ve lost some of it’s beauty and character over the years with poorly thought out refurbishments and cheap materials (ie the exterior of the Trinity Road) but it can be changed/altered again with any expansion consideration.

The North stand will need to go completely but I would love the wrap around of three stands if possible, copying some of the Holte End look or at the very least consider the use of red brick and stained glass.  I want that Tim Burton feel and Victorian Gothic Splendour everywhere! 

Below are elements taken from other stadia, some of which are modern and we can copy possibly? I just don’t want to see steel and ugly plastic everywhere. I do trust our owners to get it right though.  

image.jpeg.c17c60721f4d0c232a11a7d69c73ae23.jpeg

image.jpeg.b9a9c2e4a798249f19ef5f50effdb400.jpeg

image.jpeg.733db908531cb6f30c2ceb2648c25353.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

It could be an age thing but I just love Villa Park and would hate it if we ever moved. The red brick facade, stained glass windows, the mosaic, the Holte Hotel etc. It’s a unique venue. Obviously, we’ve lost some of it’s beauty and character over the years with poorly thought out refurbishments and cheap materials (ie the exterior of the Trinity Road) but it can be changed/altered again with any expansion consideration.

The North stand will need to go completely but I would love the wrap around of three stands if possible, copying some of the Holte End look or at the very least consider the use of red brick and stained glass.  I want that Tim Burton feel and Victorian Gothic Splendour everywhere! 

Below are elements taken from other stadia, some of which are modern and we can copy possibly? I just don’t want to see steel and ugly plastic everywhere. I do trust our owners to get it right though.  

image.jpeg.c17c60721f4d0c232a11a7d69c73ae23.jpeg

image.jpeg.b9a9c2e4a798249f19ef5f50effdb400.jpeg

image.jpeg.733db908531cb6f30c2ceb2648c25353.jpeg

Couldn’t agree more. Perhaps it’s an age thing for me too but there’s something solid and permanent about bricks. It says this is Villa Park, the home of Aston Villa who’s chairman founded the first league in the world.

We’re not flash but we’ve been here for a long long time, our walls are built on the history of our forefathers and their glories seep out of the very fabric of the place. This is our home and this will always be our home. 

• Like 1

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â