Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

27 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

I’d like to see them use the North Stand, and the space behind it as a primarily corporate section. I know this won’t be a popular opinion, but it’s the best way to maximise profits. I know corporate areas are usually at the side of the pitch, but imagine being able to look across at the Holte in full voice? It would be quite unique, and an attractive proposition. I don’t think we need to go too much higher in terms of capacity, 50k should be maximum at the moment. We’re currently selling out every game, but only a few years ago we were getting 20-25k attendances. Let’s walk before we run. 

Additionally, I’d like to see them use that land at the back of the North Stand to create a pre and post match place for drinking and eating, etc. As much as people enjoy a deggy burger or pie, we also have a new generation of fans who would pay £15 for a more gourmet style food with a drink. This would see us increase revenue massively, too. As great as it is going to a pub before the game, I’d sooner give my cash to the Villa than a pub. There’s enough space at the back to create our own kind of Boxpark, and I’d love to see us do it. 

What about car parking space? Meh, no idea to be fair. A problem for another day. 

We never averaged 25-26 even in the Championship. It was more like 32,000 and as soon as Smith arrived it went up to about 35,000. We have a huge area behind the stadium in which any owner(s) can stamp their ideas and vision across but as yet we are still waiting!

1 hour ago, Rich192 said:

I’d like to see them use the North Stand, and the space behind it as a primarily corporate section. I know this won’t be a popular opinion, but it’s the best way to maximise profits. I know corporate areas are usually at the side of the pitch, but imagine being able to look across at the Holte in full voice? It would be quite unique, and an attractive proposition. I don’t think we need to go too much higher in terms of capacity, 50k should be maximum at the moment. We’re currently selling out every game, but only a few years ago we were getting 20-25k attendances. Let’s walk before we run. 

Additionally, I’d like to see them use that land at the back of the North Stand to create a pre and post match place for drinking and eating, etc. As much as people enjoy a deggy burger or pie, we also have a new generation of fans who would pay £15 for a more gourmet style food with a drink. This would see us increase revenue massively, too. As great as it is going to a pub before the game, I’d sooner give my cash to the Villa than a pub. There’s enough space at the back to create our own kind of Boxpark, and I’d love to see us do it. 

What about car parking space? Meh, no idea to be fair. A problem for another day. 

The first part of this - a nearly silent, often largely empty stand behind one of the goals - would both be a complete atmosphere-killer and an embarrassment for the club as it would look empty on TV highlights packages. The second part, of a 'fan park' style area with street food and seating and so on, sounds great and I would love it though I don't know how it works with matchday policing.

16 hours ago, hippo said:

Have we heard anything beyond "there are no immediate plans for villa park redevelopment" ?

Think this from the June FCG Meeting was the last we've heard on it? Guess there must be another meeting due soon if June was the last one?

On 29/06/2021 at 21:34, OutByEaster? said:

Apologies for the slight delay, here are the notes from this week's meeting:

Item 2

With a growing season ticket waiting list and development with our stated ambition of competing at the top end of the league in mind:

Are there any updates on the plans for expanding the capacity at Villa Park?

We all know we have a unique stadium, four stands built at the turn of or before the 21st century.  The first step of development is to understand our limitations and see what we can do to develop and improve.  The waiting list is a key tool in assessing the need to increase capacity.  The time scale for improvements would likely be between two and ten years with several stages to this process.

Is there a perceived period of ‘on the pitch’ success to trigger such stadium plans?

We have gone from mid-table Championship to mid-table Premier League in three years, which has led to our first waiting list for season tickets.  Our fans have clearly bought in to our on-going improvement.  Once the aftermath of Covid has settled down it is likely we will need a bigger stadium, and as stated, this would require a long-term strategic development involving three or four key stages along the way.

How big is the season ticket waiting list?

The waiting list currently sits at over 13,000.  A well-run commercial operation will ensure that we cleanse the data on our waiting list to ensure the demand for season tickets remains genuine.

And how quickly does the club anticipate being able to meet demand?  The club is encouraging people to join it, but some of our members have asked if there is any point and how long the wait is likely to be?

It is too early for us to be able to predict how long it will take to meet demand.  We are at the very early stages of dealing with a waiting list, but we would urge anyone who is interested in becoming a season ticket holder to join.  We will ensure we engage directly with those fans who are unsuccessful this season ensuring we remain in touch and offer other opportunities where we can along the way.   

19 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Has there been any updates to the inner city academy as the club received planning permission earlier this year?

I don't know anything but would guess that depending on the procurement route they'd need a few weeks to put together a tender pack, say 3 months tender, a month to review and negotiate meaning that they should nearing the end of the negotiations now, appoint a contractor, give them a month lead in (they won't...) break ground around early December 

But that can change if they were to go traditional or the tenders came in over budget etc 

It'll be a £3 to 4m project at a guess depending on spec so the appointment of the contractor won't even make construction media news, brum mail or live might pick up on it 

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't know anything but would guess that depending on the procurement route they'd need a few weeks to put together a tender pack, say 3 months tender, a month to review and negotiate meaning that they should nearing the end of the negotiations now, appoint a contractor, give them a month lead in (they won't...) break ground around early December 

But that can change if they were to go traditional or the tenders came in over budget etc 

It'll be a £3 to 4m project at a guess depending on spec so the appointment of the contractor won't even make construction media news, brum mail or live might pick up on it 

It would be  worthwhile investment. I mean that is about what we paid Chelsea to loan Barkley to us for a season.

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It would be  worthwhile investment. I mean that is about what we paid Chelsea to loan Barkley to us for a season.

Definitely

Part of the sale pitch too, give it a couple of years and we'll expand beyond West brom and start taking these kids from everywhere 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Think this from the June FCG Meeting was the last we've heard on it? Guess there must be another meeting due soon if June was the last one?

Thanks - so between 2 and 10 years. So probably nothing imminent 

I watched a youtube documentary recently on the recent Wrigley Field renovations that have taken place. It is fairly unusual in the states in the fact it is over 100 years old and the Cubs didn't flatten it and leave to a new ballpark. I did go a few years  back to the friendly confines and I was aware it been modernised but didn't realise how much. Like $575 million's worth!  They could have saved $100 million by playinng somewhere else for a year but that would have been 2016 when they actually won the world series which they had last won in 1908.

They built a underground new clubhouse for the players, crazy.  All the foundations had to be lowered as well.  Villa Park obviously a different sort of ground in the fact that all the stands are less than 50 years old but would be great if the owners could take a similar holistic view of total ground renovations. I don't expect them to spend half a billion on it to be fair though.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I watched a youtube documentary recently on the recent Wrigley Field renovations that have taken place. It is fairly unusual in the states in the fact it is over 100 years old and the Cubs didn't flatten it and leave to a new ballpark. I did go a few years  back to the friendly confines and I was aware it been modernised but didn't realise how much. Like $575 million's worth!  They could have saved $100 million by playinng somewhere else for a year but that would have been 2016 when they actually won the world series which they had last won in 1908.

They built a underground new clubhouse for the players, crazy.  All the foundations had to be lowered as well.  Villa Park obviously a different sort of ground in the fact that all the stands are less than 50 years old but would be great if the owners could take a similar holistic view of total ground renovations. I don't expect them to spend half a billion on it to be fair though.

Fenway Park home of the Boston Red Sox, is still recognisable as the same stadium from photos taken of it from 1912, when it was built. As you say, it’s unusual for any stadium in the USA not to have been flattened and rebuilt at least once in a timescale like that. Visited it and took a tour in 2007. Was shown around by a pretty old guy who’d been a fan since boyhood. He had some great tales of the old ground.

Edited by meregreen

On 13/10/2021 at 17:54, Stephen_Evans said:

I don't suppose you can post these in a higher resolution?  Do you know if these are Lerner plans or something from Xia's project?

Lerner plans. Don`t know how to post in A higher resolution.. A error message says I am not allowed to post.

3 different options.

image.jpeg.aa8a7bd2518efff38b949df13b31bdd8.jpeg

Edited by villa82
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Lerner plans. Don`t know how to post in A higher resolution.. A error message says I am not allowed to post.

3 different options.

image.jpeg.aa8a7bd2518efff38b949df13b31bdd8.jpeg

The join with the Trinity Road Stand looked interesting and I love the red brick.  I wonder if Lerner had any plans to give the Trinity itself an architectural facelift.

Â