Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Lerner had various modelling connecting the stands. I think part of the Trinity would have to be demolished and rebuilt to do the corners. I know some oppose it but it would improve the atmosphere and make Villa Park less cold in the winter!

I guess stand alone isn't the right description, it would be simple enough to follow the lines of tiering from the Trinity Road Stand around, but the complete wrap to join the Doug Ellis wouldn't be possible.

If you have a look at the model below, you can see what I mean - in this case, there's a sensible but still slightly awkward solution to joining the stands up - a straight run all the way across, linking both stands like in the seat plan that's been doing the rounds lately just isn't possible.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/4e05a6c27f706e74c3edfd0fc64d8d90/Villa-Park-Expansion?hl=fr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's more than possible that he did, but I don't think we've ever actually seen any modelling by Lerner. We've seen lots and lots of things made by fans, but in terms of actual Lerner plans, it's all just rumour isn't it?

There were these from the 2018 World Cup bid

I don't know Tom and I'm sure he's a lovely fella, but we don't know where those plans are from; they could be a project by a student, designs submitted on spec by populous, the imaginings of a fan or genuine plans commissioned by Randy Lerner - certainly the club have never released anything and there's nothing from Tom saying how he might have come across those plans.

24 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

There were these from the 2018 World Cup bid

Interesting, I haven't seen these ones before. The other ones shown on this thread were more angular and have a less curved new NS.  They must have been a older perhaps when Lerner had just taken over Villa. If you look at the images it quotes a potential new capacity of 47,300 which is barely 5,000 more than what we have already got. It states the Doug Ellis stand is 8,000 capacity I am sure it is nearer to 10K? Surely if we are ever to do something we would look at more than a 5K uplift in capacity given the huge amount of cost, effort, and disruption this would take?

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't know Tom and I'm sure he's a lovely fella, but we don't know where those plans are from; they could be a project by a student, designs submitted on spec by populous, the imaginings of a fan or genuine plans commissioned by Randy Lerner - certainly the club have never released anything and there's nothing from Tom saying how he might have come across those plans.

Reasonable assumption that PS referred to bottom right of page could be this guy? Bio mentions working with Villa. Also a Villa fan. Maybe he's on VT and could confirm... 😀

Also don't know Tom but follow him on twitter, seems he's works on local projects in some capacity including the Commonwealth Games, so doesn't seem completely crazy that he might come across some kind of genuine bid prospectus for the 2018 World Cup bid.

They are certainly more legit than that picture doing the rounds this week, or anything else I think we've seen previously.

Edited by tomsky_11
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't know Tom and I'm sure he's a lovely fella, but we don't know where those plans are from; they could be a project by a student, designs submitted on spec by populous, the imaginings of a fan or genuine plans commissioned by Randy Lerner - certainly the club have never released anything and there's nothing from Tom saying how he might have come across those plans

populous designed spurs new stadium so they've got pedigree, although its probably their use of brickwork at Kyle Field that would appeal to most villa fans, the most interesting thing about them is that they were also the architect who designed the bucks new stadium which WE oversaw

it says on them "conceptual" which i would put at RIBA stage 2, which is pre planning, cost plan stuff like a feasibility study

my understanding is that they'd submit for planning somewhere between stages 3 and 4 so a fair few months worth of detailing to be added before these could have gone anywhere and its unlikely that if this came round again it would look the same, different architect let alone different firm would lead to completely different work

To be fair the modest increase in capacity might not be their main priority.  The biggest revenue boost would likely come from increased corporate and non matchday income that better facilities could generate.  The North Stand is very very dated internally and extremely cramped.

The difference between that and The Trinity is like night and day.   

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've heard that Newcastle are now aiming for a 250,000 stadium to fit in EVERY resident of the city.

I think they would need to force people into their stadium at gunpoint to attract that sort of gate, they wouldn't do that would they... or is that part of their plan? :D

Back to our ground. Safe standing in the lower tiers of the Witton & Holte Ends and we will have a 50,000-60,000 capacity once again. I would think that once the tests have been carried out, that could get the go-ahead. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

To be fair the modest increase in capacity might not be their main priority.  The biggest revenue boost would likely come from increased corporate and non matchday income that better facilities could generate.  The North Stand is very very dated internally and extremely cramped.

The difference between that and The Trinity is like night and day.   

They did refurbish the corporate facilities in the North Stand a couple of years didn't they?  I guess they can never charge top dollar even if it has been smartened up a bit due to the age of the structure.

24 minutes ago, John said:

I think they would need to force people into their stadium at gunpoint to attract that sort of gate, they wouldn't do that would they... or is that part of their plan? :D

They've got form. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Interesting, I haven't seen these ones before. The other ones shown on this thread were more angular and have a less curved new NS.  They must have been a older perhaps when Lerner had just taken over Villa. If you look at the images it quotes a potential new capacity of 47,300 which is barely 5,000 more than what we have already got. It states the Doug Ellis stand is 8,000 capacity I am sure it is nearer to 10K? Surely if we are ever to do something we would look at more than a 5K uplift in capacity given the huge amount of cost, effort, and disruption this would take?

You can see the date on the images.. 9/8/10 .

Looks pretty legit, but assume any new plans would be very different.

I’d like to see them use the North Stand, and the space behind it as a primarily corporate section. I know this won’t be a popular opinion, but it’s the best way to maximise profits. I know corporate areas are usually at the side of the pitch, but imagine being able to look across at the Holte in full voice? It would be quite unique, and an attractive proposition. I don’t think we need to go too much higher in terms of capacity, 50k should be maximum at the moment. We’re currently selling out every game, but only a few years ago we were getting 20-25k attendances. Let’s walk before we run. 

Additionally, I’d like to see them use that land at the back of the North Stand to create a pre and post match place for drinking and eating, etc. As much as people enjoy a deggy burger or pie, we also have a new generation of fans who would pay £15 for a more gourmet style food with a drink. This would see us increase revenue massively, too. As great as it is going to a pub before the game, I’d sooner give my cash to the Villa than a pub. There’s enough space at the back to create our own kind of Boxpark, and I’d love to see us do it. 

What about car parking space? Meh, no idea to be fair. A problem for another day. 

Â