Villa Park redevelopment

going OT - they stick the juvenile plants in a nursey outside letting them develop, attracting wildlife, then they upheave them all and stick them in the stadium for 7 weeks hoping to attract wildlife, then they upheave them back outside...

so they're **** about with the habitat of wildlife in order to tell people to stop **** about with the habitat of wildlife? 

it sounds like a badly thought out publicity stunt, inviting a load of birds in to a football stadium, what happens when the birds decide the rafters make a better home than the trees? how do any animals that aren't birds and insects actually get in? how do they know that the 7 weeks are up?

• Like 1

To get this a bit more back on topic I am sure there is more the club could do in terms of planting more trees and shrubs within the grounds, maybe turn over some of the acres of paving to grass, I mean it's not like they don't have any expertise in lawn care available to them.  Maybe put in some hanging baskets etc. Would help negate some of the carbon footprint and also make the grounds more attractive.  I don't think many clubs do much planting around their stadium do they? 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

To get this a bit more back on topic I am sure there is more the club could do in terms of planting more trees and shrubs within the grounds, maybe turn over some of the acres of paving to grass, I mean it's not like they don't have any expertise in lawn care available to them.  Maybe put in some hanging baskets etc. Would help negate some of the carbon footprint and also make the grounds more attractive.  I don't think many clubs do much planting around their stadium do they? 

Maintenance costs ;)

Not sure how many clubs can say they've got a park on the doorstep 

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to ask earlier.  Have we installed more floodlights at Villa Park? Against West Ham it struck me how much brighter everything looked then I noticed a second row of floodlights further back into the stands that I don't recall seeing before. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Forgot to ask earlier.  Have we installed more floodlights at Villa Park? Against West Ham it struck me how much brighter everything looked then I noticed a second row of floodlights further back into the stands that I don't recall seeing before. 

Probably cleaned them or put new bulbs in!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I believe the second row of floodlights on the Holte and North stand were added at the start of the 15/16 season because of new PL rules for a minimum brightness level for TV viewers, but it's possible that they have upgraded the lights since then as well.

2 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

I believe the second row of floodlights on the Holte and North stand were added at the start of the 15/16 season because of new PL rules for a minimum brightness level for TV viewers, but it's possible that they have upgraded the lights since then as well.

pretty sure in was to enable 4k coverage

• Thanks 1

'Swanky' Aston Villa's grand Villa Park plan one step closer

Aston Villa latest | Demolition to Villa Village and the former Stumps building has now been approved by Birmingham City Council in readiness for yet more development thanks to owners Wes Edens and Nassef Sawiris

Aston Villa's grand plans to knock down the ticket office, club shop and Academy building have been given the green light.

As reported in June, Villa's wealthy owners Wes Edens and Nassef Sawiris put plans forward to Birmingham City Council to redevelop Villa Park while particularly focusing on land at the rear of the North Stand .

The pair want the site cleared, according to the council, "in readiness to accommodate new development which could accommodate a super store, museum and a possible hotel".

Two months after lodging plans, the council has given Villa the go-ahead to start demolition work. It'll mean the former Stumps building - which is used as a Family Fun Zone on match days - will be bulldozed along with the ticket office and Villa store.

None of the existing buildings are locally or statutorily listed and are of little architectural merit. I therefore raise no objection to the principle of the demolition of these buildings," a council document read prior to demolition approval.

The briefing added: "Aston Villa Football Club is proposing to move the ticket office/merchandise store into temporary units elsewhere on site. It is intended that the footprint of this building will be used as excess capacity for car parking on match days. The Academy building football pitch will continue to be used in an outdoor capacity following its demolition.

"The site would be left in a tidy condition and enclosed with appropriate fencing to secure the site, pending its future redevelopment. This will ensure that the site has an acceptable appearance taking into account the residential nature of the surrounding area."

Villa's owners continue to plough cash into improving the club's infrastructure. BirminghamLive previously reported how Edens and Sawiris set aside another £100million over the next five years .

Vast improvements were made all around Villa Park and Bodymoor Heath in the summer while, last weekend, fans enjoyed the grand opening of The Gaslamp - a swanky new hospitality lounge situated in the North Stand.

Supporters enjoyed the new bar area, improved boxes, a welcome drink, food, a match day programme and a Q&A with Nigel Spink and Pat Heard.

As for the approved demolition plans, it's believed the owners have sought to obtain permission early and will wait for the Premier League season to finish before kick-starting their scheme for a new store, museum and, possibly, a Villa Park hotel.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-park-edens-owners-17024067

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

I'd rather they plan all this in with a new north stand in one area rather than continuing with having the club shop at the furthermost point of the ground. It could also mean that there will be no permanent shop for quite a while.

Isn't it always out of stock anyway?

• Like 1
On 03/10/2019 at 13:46, The Fun Factory said:

I'd rather they plan all this in with a new north stand in one area rather than continuing with having the club shop at the furthermost point of the ground. It could also mean that there will be no permanent shop for quite a while.

I presume there won't be one, given they've just splurged on fancy new hospitality facilities in it.

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I presume there won't be one, given they've just splurged on fancy new hospitality facilities in it.

They will build it. 

What they've spent on the new hospitality will be small beer in the scheme of things. 

If we stay up I expect to see plans put in place for the following season. That would have given the new suite 2 full seasons to generate dosh. 

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree with @sidcowThe refurb is no more than that. It’s a quick and relatively cheap fix to bring poor corporate facilities in the North Stand to a reasonable standard until a complete rebuild of the stand. Assuming we look secure in the PL after two or three seasons I assume the rebuild will get the go ahead for completion within 5 years from now.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, I hope you're both right.

We’ll be right at some point. There”s only so many refurbs the North Stand can take before it crumbles. I think I will see a new North Stand and I’ve only got around 30 years left.

On a serious note, it will be built when the economics make sense. Perhaps a little earlier if our new owners want to leave a stamp on the club.

21 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I doubt it would have cost too much to strip the old woodchip paper off and put on a new coat of paint ;)

But I agree that the time to expand is now.....we are on a massive upsurge at the moment with the best football we have seen in the last 20 years regualarly being showcased at VP and  belief that we are on the verge of something special in our life times as Villa fans.

A swanky new North Stand with built in facilities as described above would take our infrastructure to all new levels!!

Edited by New_Hope

I’m sure we have grand plans for the entire stadium, probably starting with the North Stand but that will be developed as part of an ongoing plan. These guys are ambitious and realise that the stadium can be an income generator on both match days and none match days. This income effects our ability to spend, with regards to FFP,  but the cost of the infrastructure doesn’t fall under FFP rules and so we can spend as much as we want. It therefore makes perfect economic sense and also allows our guys to show off a little with a big structural statement.

Hopefully they can do it in a way that keeps Villa Park unique and doesn’t lose that special feeling that our home has always had. 

• Like 1

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â