Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

46 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Only problem with filling the corners in is.... It prevents wind blowing into the stadium and on the grass.

Good point,  it is something easily overlooked.  Under the wrong wind conditions someone with a big flat mush like Gary Gardner needed to tack his way all the way over to the corner flag like a small boat.  55 miles he did (Nautically measured) in one game.

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Only problem with filling the corners in is.... It prevents wind blowing into the stadium and on the grass. I think that's been a contributing factor as to why we have one of the best pitch's in the UK. All these modern stadiums don't have the same air flow. 

Edit - also more daylight 

We have a huge set of UV, I assume, lights that are moved around the pitch at night, to compensate for the light reduction from the stands. I’m pretty sure it’s pretty common at big stadiums. In fact if seen a load at Twickenham when working there. 

Not sure what we could do about the airflow. I’m sure there’s a solution somewhere. Answers on a postcard to Mr C Purslow. 

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

What sort of megalomaniac owns a football club and names a stand after themselves? What a grade A plonker Ellis was.

He didn’t know about the name, it was a complete surprise you know......

To be honest it leaves us with a problem. The board won’t want to change the name out of respect. Sod him I hear a lot of people shout, but we need to show some class here, no matter what we think he’s been around for a long time and the media will pick up any stick to beat us. I think the answer will come with sponsorship deals to name all the stands, perhaps with the exception of the Holte. 

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

He didn’t know about the name, it was a complete surprise you know......

To be honest it leaves us with a problem. The board won’t want to change the name out of respect. Sod him I hear a lot of people shout, but we need to show some class here, no matter what we think he’s been around for a long time and the media will pick up any stick to beat us. I think the answer will come with sponsorship deals to name all the stands, perhaps with the exception of the Holte. 

Perhaps we could soften the blow if we named a bicycle stand outside the stadium after him?

You know because he invented...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Doug Ellis Stand is alright, but it’s a bit behind the times now. When built, it was the fashion to have a double tier side stand. It still looks alright, but very cramped. There’s not a lot of room to do anything with it though, and tbf it would be a waste of time and money doing anything with it.

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We move stadium the club is finished for me personally. Can never see it happening  but I suppose you never know.

Wow,  I sincerely hope we never leave Villa Park.

Don't think we will, for most of the reasons mentioned in this thread, but could see it going the same way.  Move closer to an up market area,  with shopping centres around it... atmosphere gone. Intimidation factor, gone. History might be limited to the name, and the record books,  but the stadium is a huge part of that too.

On 23/06/2019 at 08:15, thabucks said:

Something akin to this but as described by OBE ....  

historical exterior modern interior .... 

Am I the only one who finds this stadium hideous?

The Mercedez Benz Arena hands down over that.

Don't know why so many of you prefer the old dated look over the fabulous modern stadiums, I get not wanting an exact replica  of an existing stadium.

I understand Villa Park is an old stadium from an old era which has a bit of romance about it, so any new stand would need to be in the same mould for continuity.. But if we had a fresh location and a blank canvas why would you choose to make it look like its from the 13th century?

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Am I the only one who finds this stadium hideous?

The Mercedez Benz Arena hands down over that.

Don't know why so many of you prefer the old dated look over the fabulous modern stadiums, I get not wanting an exact replica  of an existing stadium.

I understand Villa Park is an old stadium from an old era which has a bit of romance about it, so any new stand would need to be in the same mould for continuity.. But if we had a fresh location and a blank canvas why would you choose to make it look like its from the 13th century?

I was proposing Lucas Oil as a template for a redeveloped Villa Park.... if we were to ever move them I’d be all for something like MBS or vikings stadium .... Alas just a pipe dream as we won’t be leaving VP. 

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I was proposing Lucas Oil as a template for a redeveloped Villa Park.... if we were to ever move them I’d be all for something like MBS or vikings stadium .... Alas just a pipe dream as we won’t be leaving VP. 

I see, still find that Lucas Oil stadium ugly though. Rather have 4 ends like the the Holte but that would mean getting some kind of permission to do away with roads Witton Lane and Trinity road, or push them back. Just to clarify I mean the actual roads where the cars drive not the stands.

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The Doug Ellis Stand is alright, but it’s a bit behind the times now. When built, it was the fashion to have a double tier side stand. It still looks alright, but very cramped. There’s not a lot of room to do anything with it though, and tbf it would be a waste of time and money doing anything with it.

I remember it looking alright back in May '95 as it was the 2nd newest stand at VP at that time, New Holte had not been long finished.

However, it's now the 2nd oldest behind the North stand and does need redeveloped.

They managed to keep the road under the Trinity after it's redevelopment.. surely they could do the same across at Witton.

I think if the stand is flattened and a new build done then the name being changed wouldn't look so drastic or be frowned upon as much.

Besides, bollocks to Ellis anyway, he only held the club back during his ownership anyway. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

They managed to keep the road under the Trinity after it's redevelopment.. surely they could do the same across at Witton.

I’d like to think so, but I think as someone has mentioned, the right to light for the houses on the Witton Lane side might be an issue.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’d like to think so, but I think as someone has mentioned, the right to light for the houses on the Witton Lane side might be an issue.

Yes. We had to buy all of the houses on Witton Lane and move the road over to build existing Stand. The walkway and basketball court adjacent to Witton Lane would have been their back garden. Would probably have to buy the next row of houses on Holte Rd to go bigger and move the road and parkland walkway back again. 

Would cost a lot more now with the price of housing. 

Mind you, could the cost be offset somewhat by building some new homes with existing light access on the remaining space? 

Â