Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I guess his shares will continue to be diluted to zero and it will be a none story when he disappears completely out of the picture .... haven’t nothing but contempt for him and his shady actions .....which are definitely true  as I was working at OUFC at the time and the owner warned me weeks into his Dr X ownership things weren’t right ( he is a bluenose who actually almost purchased SHA so I thought he was being a tad bitter...) I also heard other murmurings but just hearsay at the time ..... anyways he deserves all the criticism and more and he will be remembered as he the charlatan he proved to be...  I have more disdain towards him than Lerner ...

. I was a Randy supporter at times but he was ultimately awful owner of our football club no denying .... I do think extenuating circumstances with his divorce ... o’neil... citeh ... and his ultimate naivety/ stupidly were his failings..ending in relegation ...But  . Xia irresponsible wasted an golden opportunity to rebuild and lay down any lasting good ... he gambled ..He is a very astute bullshut artist who got lucky .... lost a lot of other peoples money (sic?🤔) got his 15 mins of fame at our expense and will continue his life no worries .... We will hopefully look back and thank his ineptitude in years to come to leading us to NSWE .... ! 

Spot on. Lerner was undoubtedly a fool who had his own simplistic plan, but at least he funded it himself. The problem with him was, as you’ve intimated above, was he just let O’Neil do what he liked, who when he didn’t get his own way, stomped off like the spoilt, self obsessed, ego maniac that he is.

I read an article, I can’t remember by who sorry, that said Graham Taylor had arranged a meeting with Lerner in the early days of his ownership, to offer his advice etc. Lerner pulled out at the last minute and sent someone else. How invaluable that could have been for us? Letting Steve Stride go was an equally, if not even bigger mistake. Basically he thought the club could run itself if he threw plenty of money at it. If he had made the money himself, perhaps he would have known the value of it and not wasted so much of it. He wasn’t a crook, just an incredibly poor businessman and owner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

He’s about as genuine as a nine bob note. He, Wyness and Samuelson had a very simplistic plan to use the parachute payments to get us back up quickly and then cash in. I think he waved a few quid about and conned a few Chinese investors into getting involved too, but whether he ever had any real money of his own is very doubtful. I would be more inclined to think of Lerner as a well intentioned mug, but Xia was less than honest in his dealings as were his close associates. 

I have it on good authority that he was prepared to pull the plug on the whole deal with NSWE if he didn’t get his Chairman title. He was backed into a corner and cared more about saving face than saving Aston Villa. 

That may well be the case so that means that Steve Hollis who was chairman at the time, was either a liar or incredibly naive. I remember at the time he was bigging up Xia saying he had  huge plans to redevelopment Villa Park and the surrounding area. Whoops.

49 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That may well be the case so that means that Steve Hollis who was chairman at the time, was either a liar or incredibly naive. I remember at the time he was bigging up Xia saying he had  huge plans to redevelopment Villa Park and the surrounding area. Whoops.

Well I think he’s pulled the wool over lots of peoples eyes, including Brian Little and Mervin King, neither of whom could be considered as people who have anything other than the very best intentions for the club. 

This is my theory, were not only Dr Fraudster but also China is at fault.

He was chosen by the Government to study in the US, came back and was backed to be a businessman. He had a couple of companies, where probably selling that glutamate goo what the main income. After Xi Jinping declared that China would invest to become a football world power the government set up investment funds via the state banks. Dr Fraudster took advantage of this and was supported via the investment funds. He created this story about himself and exaggerated everything from his background, wealth and companies to being a Villa supporter. Due to the Chinese system it wasn't possible to do any proper background checks on him, so he could continue to lie. His plan was to use the money from the investment funds and the incoming parachute payments to bankroll a bid to go up in the first two years, and then use the revenue from the Premier League as an income after that. The plan didn't work due to his own shortcomings and the one's of his advisors and the people he hired. After the excessive spending on football by some clubs in China and the crash on the stock market, the government cut off the investment funds for football. All fell apart and Dr Fraudster was exposed. He played roulette with our club and almost took us into administration. And the Chinese system made it possible. 

The reason I think the government was the providing the funds is that Hollis said that we shouldn't be surprised if high ranked officials would come to the games, that the government has a role in big foreign investments, it's a fact that Xi Jinping set out the world footbal power policy and that big government projects in Chine usually is carried out via investment funds. Also, he apparently didn't have enough money himself. 

Whatever is true it's a tasty story, I hope there are some journalists (or is that jerknalists?) who will go to the bottom of this whole tragedy and write about it.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes Hollis did get a lot of praise at the time, the spotlight should turn towards him, his role in it and what he really knew ot should have known.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skruff said:

Why exactly did we love him then hate him? Because he pretended he had a lot more money then he did and almost put our club into administration? 

As I recall, the love came because he (or someone working for him) knew hiw to include emojis in his tweets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Lerner couldn't be bothered with Villa, had to much going on elsewhere to even care, brought Villa thinking he could make money from it and once that didnt materialise, he stopped caring even more.

Xia I do believe he cared about Villa, did and in some ways still has a love for the club. It's just Xia made very ambitious mistakes of gambling all he had Into the club, it didn't pay off and fell on the wrong side of fans because of it.

I believe our new owners can achieve something here at Villa, if we get back to the premier,  I believe that a blank cheque will come out for Smith to make is own team.

I also think our current owners are not in it for the money, why would they be when they have so much of it. Over 9 billion between them, that's the difference between a millionaire and billionaire I think, a millionaire you still want to make money, a billionaire your finding ways to get rid of it. The hottest sport in the world is a way to  not only get rid of money but achieve great things if you plan right and Nas and Wes are good planners.

11 minutes ago, sne said:

He is/was to ownership what Tim Sherwood was to coaching.

Pretty much.

Someone above says why did people love him, it was just the passion and all those wierd tweets he used to do not any business or strategic decisions.

Part of me would've still been interested with the strategy if we'd gone up last season. We coulld've still crashed and burned but money in the short term wouldn't have been a problem at least.

To be honest I don't think we should be allowed any leeway or exempts from FFP breaches while he is still part of the club.

I hope we are, should it come to that. But while he is still (part) owner we shouldn't really get away with it.

Â