Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

Kind of, yeah. The difficulty I have with Wyness is that he is (was) the "expert" football administrator and CEO. His duty ws to guide and advise and inform the non-football owner of the right things to do and so on. So regardless of whether Wyness was acting selfishly in this latest thing, to wangle himself a job with a new owner, or whether he was acting in good faith trying to address pressing problems, I personally consider that the CEO of a football club that has got itself into a situation where it is unable to pay the bills, is laying people off and is at risk of Administration has failed in his role. 

This is right, too. The reduction of outgoings has to happen - the wage bill is completely unsustainable. That's the thing that needs to be changed. Selling players (or any assets) to survive is the road to ruin, a spiral that you really really don't want to get into.

The important thing isn't looking for ever richer owners to take over the mess left by the previous bloke, the important thing is to run the club properly, so that it can be the best it can be. It has not been run properly for a very, very long time.  The latest catastropork ought to act as the signal to mend our ways.

We cannot be dependent on the whims of a foreign nation's currency policy, naive gamblers, self serving administrators and charlatans.

This ^^ for me is what's changed my view.  I do think Xia is a decent bloke as like @Jareth highlighted his comments about our fans on that last day against NUFC show an inherent appreciation of how we feel and the support we bring but he's either been done by China Gov policy, ill-advised by Wyness or taken his eye off the ball due to other pressing matters across his business empire.

My belief is he's trying his best but it's touch and go now and whilst he's learning fast about running a club - we're in desperate need of a savvy owner today.  That's why I'm advocating a change in ownership to put us in the hands of someone like that (not just another billionaire) but if Xia can rebuild our finances and recruit a CEO who knows how to structure a club from youth and with a playing style (the Southampton model - not perfect but is our only real option now) that gets us out of the Championship (in the right direction of course!) then fair enough.  

He is still culpable for letting us get in this mess, I was prepared to wait to see his plan B but it seems lacking in detail and we're running out of time.  The season is 8 weeks away, come on Tony, get it sorted!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

From what I can see any loans are to keep the club afloat and won't be paid back. It's like the loan's Lerner gave us, he had to write them off in the end. 

Lets wait and see.

The problem now who comes in and takes us on with that debt ?  - Finance companies at a big rate of interest...

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Probably not for this thread. I wasn’t necessarily agreeing with TRO, assuming he was referring to Bendall, just remembering the chant.

He did manage to force Saunders out just before the European cup quarter finals (IIRC) so I suppose that elevates him up the rankings. On the other hand he did appoint Tony Barton who successfully steered us to the final.

Maybe TRO had some othrer issue/s in mind when he called him out as the worst? We need an explanation. FWIW, I would have thought whoever was in charge in 1967-8 has to count as possibly the worst we ever had. Can’t remember who it was though!

Doug dismantling the European cup winning team must be up there. I'd actually put Xia up there in my life time. I have never seen anybody be so wreckless whilst in charge. Lerner over spent but at least he paid the bills!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I had high hopes for Xia. I think he's a bright spark and a genuine man with his own style of integrity, by that I mean to say that I don't know how legitimate his business dealings are but I think he wants to serve the people at the club well as well as bringing himself success.

Definitely a bit over zealous, but I find that endearing and with the right guidance could be an asset rather than a hindrance.

I have no evidence, but I suspect that Di Matteo was appointed on the basis of being a champions league winner, rather than a comprehensive plan and analytical approach to bringing about success.

I believe that Bruce was appointed on the basis of being a proven promotion winner, again rather than for a detailed and inspired resurrection plan for the clubs football.

And that is where I think Xia has let himself down with over enthusiasm. If he could contain himself a little more he has the right intentions for the club and I wonder if with the right people around him if he might be able to take us to a European placing one day. Whether he can make those appointments and ensure the club is structured in a way that can cope with the challenges it faces is yet to be seen.

Spot on imo

but i do think the man is trying to do too much....and is just skimming over the surface.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

Doug dismantling the European cup winning team must be up there. I'd actually put Xia up there in my life time. I have never seen anybody be so wreckless whilst in charge. Lerner over spent but at least he paid the bills!

Doug took us from league/ european cup winners to division 2, easily the worst.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

“We won the league, we won the cup, and Ronnie Bendall **** it up”!!!

:lol:

It certainly wasn't down to him.....if you think it was I'll pass, thanks.

it was despite him.

and if he was any good, it would have been sustainable

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Eh?

What we acheived had little to do with him.....he didn't know what day it was....he was senile.

Edited by TRO

22 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Probably not for this thread. I wasn’t necessarily agreeing with TRO, assuming he was referring to Bendall, just remembering the chant.

He did manage to force Saunders out just before the European cup quarter finals (IIRC) so I suppose that elevates him up the rankings. On the other hand he did appoint Tony Barton who successfully steered us to the final.

Maybe TRO had some othrer issue/s in mind when he called him out as the worst? We need an explanation. FWIW, I would have thought whoever was in charge in 1967-8 has to count as possibly the worst we ever had. Can’t remember who it was though!

No....he was just senile.

had no effect on our achievement one way or the other.....don't really know what he did other than leave Ron Saunders alone....until the end.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

It certainly wasn't down to him.....if you think it was I'll pass, thanks.

it was despite him.

and if he was any good, it would have been sustainable

This really needs a separate thread - “worst chairman ever” - but it would be too depressing.

Think you may have misunderstood my post. That chant that I quoted was what I recall we sang in the aftershock of Saunders’s departure. I din’t think It was suggesting any credit to Ron Bendall!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

but i do think the man is trying to do too much....and is just skimming over the surface.

Absolutely. He's spinning too many plates. And we've now got no CEO on top of that.

21 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Think you may have misunderstood my post. That chant that I quoted was what I recall we sang in the aftershock of Saunders’s departure. I din’t think It was suggesting any credit to Ron Bendall!

Yes, this exactly. At home to Southampton on a wednesday night. Keegan scored for them, can't remember who scored for us. it was 1-1.

Er, what we most desperately need is someone who knows what the heck they're doing, in terms of guiding a club through all this.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Absolutely. He's spinning too many plates. And we've now got no CEO on top of that.

Could do worse than approach either Hollis or Merv King on a temporary basis until things are clearer. That said I have no idea what either are upto at the moment. This is where Xia's lack of UK contacts is a huge hindrance. I believe Luke Organ is currently working in conjunction with Ho. I find it hard to take and perhaps and indicator for the future that given our biggest crisis in decades, Xia still hasn't seen fit to come over and personally get a feel for what's happening. There is only so much you can achieve via Skype. I do get the feeling if it were Lerner, even he would have flew over. 

If Xia were to go, I want an owner who is able to be present more than he is not. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Could do worse than approach either Hollis or Merv King on a temporary basis until things are clearer. That said I have no idea what either are upto at the moment. This is where Xia's lack of UK contacts is a huge hindrance. I believe Luke Organ is currently working in conjunction with Ho. I find it hard to take and perhaps and indicator for the future that given our biggest crisis in decades, Xia still hasn't seen fit to come over and personally get a feel for what's happening. There is only so much you can achieve via Skype. I do get the feeling if it were Lerner, even he would have flew over. 

If Xia were to go, I want an owner who is able to be present more than he is not. 

Lerner fly over? No **** chance, the bloke hid away whilst the club crumbled, he was a disgrace of a man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

It's pretty clear from Dr T that he believes he has secured funds for the on going business side for at least two years. Given this, it is obvious he has no intention of either selling or allowing the club into administration. We have no idea whether he will have to sell everybody or nobody. Everyone is an expert of course ( I'm talking about the press of course) but in reality nobody knows anything. Xia is Chinese and proud and will not sucumb meekly. I think a lot of people will be suprised at the team put out for the first game and not in a bad way. I'm close to people from Villa's past who are in touch still, and I CAN say Dr. T is vehemently against selling Grealish & Chester but time will tell

i think you have every chance of being right.

but in reality, who knows.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

It's pretty clear from Dr T that he believes he has secured funds for the on going business side for at least two years. Given this, it is obvious he has no intention of either selling or allowing the club into administration. We have no idea whether he will have to sell everybody or nobody. Everyone is an expert of course ( I'm talking about the press of course) but in reality nobody knows anything. Xia is Chinese and proud and will not sucumb meekly. I think a lot of people will be suprised at the team put out for the first game and not in a bad way. I'm close to people from Villa's past who are in touch still, and I CAN say Dr. T is vehemently against selling Grealish & Chester but time will tell

This post has made my day, which I'm surprised about to be honest as it's not been a bad one otherwise.

The fact you are saying you have it on good word that Grealish's future may be in his own hands instead of forced by the clubs plight gives me hope for Xia yet.

Excellent, excellent news. I don't need to explain to anyone the significance of retaining talent like Jack's.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

That is the problem, he is completely delusional. In his own little "Tony Xia world"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

Oh, now that is good news, something I had entirely missed!

Can you point us to precisely where this has been made clear? He doesn't seem to have tweeted about it (his usual manner of communication), nor does there seem to be an official club statement, so can you let us know where this good news has been communicated publicly, openly and transparently, please?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

Secured funds how though? More debt on Villa? That is what I am worried about.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

That is the problem, he is completely delusional. In his own little "Tony Xia world"

You know that as a fact do you, have you met him, do you know how he thinks? If the answer to those questions is Yes, fair play to you, you know a lot more than I, if it's No then you know as much as those heralded journo's who just make things up!

• Like 2

Â