Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

In our finest hour and a half in the History of our great club....We had arguably the worst chairman of all.....perhaps there is a parallel there somewhere.

In the cold light of day, we just want them to run the thing and pay the bills......and a tickle for the odd player, might come in handy.

I do not expect an owner to have to fund it....if he does something is clearly wrong....If Tony has been doing that he is culpable of having us on a life support machine

Agreed, I was going to say the best owner is one you don't see or hear but errrmmm Lerner haha!! First rule, don't promise what you can't deliver. Xia's first mistake. 

I don't care about a billionaire now. I've spent the past 10 years trying to live that dream. Give me someone affable, with excellent business and communication skills and the ability to surround himself with good people. As you say pay the bills, make sure our strategy is sound (which shouldn't be, hey let's do what the last guy did, even though he screwed up. Let's rip it all up and start again. Approach it like Norwich have this year. Let's say, no more over 27 yo, aimed to buy local to use and set up initiatives and links with Walsall and other local clubs where we can send our young kids and have first choice etc. Let's box clever for once and be pioneers like we were all those years and years ago. Surely it's not that hard. Get business fundamentals right and go from there. 

Now...... Where do we find this person? Hahaha 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Agreed, I was going to say the best owner is one you don't see or hear but errrmmm Lerner haha!! First rule, don't promise what you can't deliver. Xia's first mistake. 

I don't care about a billionaire now. I've spent the past 10 years trying to live that dream. Give me someone affable, with excellent business and communication skills and the ability to surround himself with good people. As you say pay the bills, make sure our strategy is sound (which shouldn't be, hey let's do what the last guy did, even though he screwed up. Let's rip it all up and start again. Approach it like Norwich have this year. Let's say, no more over 27 yo, aimed to buy local to use and set up initiatives and links with Walsall and other local clubs where we can send our young kids and have first choice etc. Let's box clever for once and be pioneers like we were all those years and years ago. Surely it's not that hard. Get business fundamentals right and go from there. 

Now...... Where do we find this person? Hahaha 

but some of the stuff is so fundamental its scary....what is Steve Round doing with policy.

These guys are steeped in academic qualifications.

We were having conversations about fundamentals and blue prints( the need of), 10 years ago ( head scratching)

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm sure it is not unheard of for clubs to manipulate financial facilities and come out of it successfully.

Clubs, yes.. Aston Villa - No... ?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

but some of the stuff is so fundamental its scary....what is Steve Round doing with policy.

These guys are steeped in academic qualifications.

We were having conversations about fundamentals and blue prints( the need of), 10 years ago ( head scratching)

So basic TRO it really is scary. The thing that blows my mind is this board had the exact formula not to follow laid out for them and talked of not repeating past mistakes and then did exactly that. Mind blown. Maybe with investment, a solid CEO (would Merv king come back as an advisor) Cortese is clicking his heels (he created the template at Southampton) and a few more football minded business men and maybe Xia will be OK. Next few days, weeks and months? Need to be navigated first though. Whilst bidders wait in the wings. 

2 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

So basic TRO it really is scary. The thing that blows my mind is this board had the exact formula not to follow laid out for them and talked of not repeating past mistakes and then did exactly that. Mind blown. Maybe with investment, a solid CEO (would Merv king come back as an advisor) Cortese is clicking his heels (he created the template at Southampton) and a few more football minded business men and maybe Xia will be OK. Next few days, weeks and months? Need to be navigated first though. Whilst bidders wait in the wings. 

The problem with financial pressures of this business, it attracts skullduggery, creative accountancy, manipulative presentations, false soundbites and downright deceitfullness.

The burning question is....not how intelligent are they, but WHO CAN YOU TRUST.

Steve Stride?....depending on age and availability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEgo said:

I agree. 

What are your thoughts on Xia? Naive? Unlucky? Bit dodgy? (as in has oversold and exaggerated) I think he's either known all about this and was hoping promotion would fix it or didn't know and has been very naive but screwed over by Wyness. I just can't decide which. Maybe it's somewhere in the middle? 

I think we need to see more facts and actual positive steps now if as the club said things are in place to move forward. A case of show me, don't tell me. 

I have a very measured approach, he brought proven players in his first summer and sacked the manager when it was clear it wasnt going to work out.

He then hired the most successful manager at this level.

We lost something like 15m in year 1 and apparently a similar loss will be posted this year.

I don't think we have spent extravagantly or have failed miserably.

I'm taking a wait and see approach as to what happens this summer but I expect the fringe players to go which is normal for any window, anyone unhappy if we turn a bid down from a club in the premiership and of course Jack.

This solves the loss we have made, satisfies FFP and makes us stable, it should even allow us to get a few loan or frees in.

If that doesn't happen then the proverbial will hit the fan 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEgo said:

I agree. 

What are your thoughts on Xia? Naive? Unlucky? Bit dodgy? (as in has oversold and exaggerated) I think he's either known all about this and was hoping promotion would fix it or didn't know and has been very naive but screwed over by Wyness. I just can't decide which. Maybe it's somewhere in the middle? 

I think we need to see more facts and actual positive steps now if as the club said things are in place to move forward. A case of show me, don't tell me. 

I had high hopes for Xia. I think he's a bright spark and a genuine man with his own style of integrity, by that I mean to say that I don't know how legitimate his business dealings are but I think he wants to serve the people at the club well as well as bringing himself success.

Definitely a bit over zealous, but I find that endearing and with the right guidance could be an asset rather than a hindrance.

I have no evidence, but I suspect that Di Matteo was appointed on the basis of being a champions league winner, rather than a comprehensive plan and analytical approach to bringing about success.

I believe that Bruce was appointed on the basis of being a proven promotion winner, again rather than for a detailed and inspired resurrection plan for the clubs football.

And that is where I think Xia has let himself down with over enthusiasm. If he could contain himself a little more he has the right intentions for the club and I wonder if with the right people around him if he might be able to take us to a European placing one day. Whether he can make those appointments and ensure the club is structured in a way that can cope with the challenges it faces is yet to be seen.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 3

Morning..

See I read these two posts above and find myself nodding my head at both views (lots of sense spoken in both) I can see why people think we could still be a success and why he's endearing. I tried to explain my stance and I couldn't come to a conclusive one, other than my trust is broken and the same for many I see and read on twitter and for that I think he should sell. That's right now though having spent a few days thinking the club may end up in administration (and we still might, we're far from out of the woods) ultimately I guess I need to know more about what's happened, whose done what and the intent. I've been doing what I always do when I hear any villa news that's significant and that is to read as much info as I can and try to puzzle together something that makes sense to me.

Right now I'm sceptical. I've spent the season wondering why the board haven't got rid of Bruce (I know I know a sensitive and well debated topic) to us then losing at Wembley to this. I do blame the board and that has affected my views on xia. I was dubious when he came in whilst being excited by the talk of one of the best in the world. All that whilst thinking and reading the rumours about his money (or lack of) but then as you guys say he's a likeable guy, excitable and contagious and I warmed to him. Whilst cringing at some of his tweets etc. I started to believe and have hope and hope my friends is the killer... So yeah I got sucked in whilst never quite being able to shake that odd feeling I had about him that others like @hippo have.

So when I this came out I very easily reverted to the 'I knew it' mind set. That he's a fraud (not in the criminal sense) just that not all is what it seems. What the hell has he been upto, how has he let this happen, type of thoughts. I've been mad on twitter where it's hard to articulate with such few characters. 

So essentially (I'm aware I'm waffling. I've not posted in more than 140 characters on villa in a few years ha) I'm now still thinking he's incompetent at best and many other things at worst. Negligent, derelict if duty, broke, not been telling the truth etc etc as for Wyness... I'll not start with him. Bottom line, I want him to prove the current me wrong. To fix this, to prove he's a decent guy and he's just been naive and trusted the wrong people. I'm just not sure it will happen. I think if we were a patient. We're still in critical condition and the next few days (needs to still pay 700k by today I believe to the HMRC) and another couple of million soon after. If we do that and pay the other bills due in 2 weeks then maybe we will be in intensive care, but stable. The jury is out for me though. Prove me wrong xia, as at the moment I think the only solution is a sale. 

Sorry for the essay!! 

• Like 3

I still don't see how taking out a 2 year loan is doing anything other than delaying the inevitable. It's putting more risk on the club. I can imagine Bruce and Xia are convincing themselves that it'll be fine as we will get promoted this season so it doesn't matter.

I just think it's all a bit shady.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheEgo said:

Morning..

See I read these two posts above and find myself nodding my head at both views (lots of sense spoken in both) I can see why people think we could still be a success and why he's endearing. I tried to explain my stance and I couldn't come to a conclusive one, other than my trust is broken and the same for many I see and read on twitter and for that I think he should sell. ....

Sorry for the essay!! 

I'm sorry for last night's barracking, it's entirely fair to be a bit confused at the moment - I'm grouchy because of the amount of subterfuge going on and all I want is some straight batting and at the moment we have all sorts attacking the club from all angles - welcome back to VT and stick around. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I still don't see how taking out a 2 year loan is doing anything other than delaying the inevitable. It's putting more risk on the club. I can imagine Bruce and Xia are convincing themselves that it'll be fine as we will get promoted this season so it doesn't matter.

Absolutely this....it’s putting a plaster over a gaping wound.

For me, the bottom line is he needs to sell up to someone who can give us the stability we need to move forward. I guess the big question is will he and is there anyone out there to take it on?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Its not ideal - the only good to come out of it - is that we don't need cash right now. So we can tell Spurs 'no' to £15m for Grealish  for example.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'm sorry for last night's barracking, it's entirely fair to be a bit confused at the moment - I'm grouchy because of the amount of subterfuge going on and all I want is some straight batting and at the moment we have all sorts attacking the club from all angles - welcome back to VT and stick around. 

Cheers and apology accepted. We are all a little fractious. As you can tell from my twitter posts. I'm like you though. I just want the truth and some straight talking and in the absence of that there is a huge vacuum to fill and my way to deal with that is to ask questions and try and make sense of whatever I can. I'm like this with anything in my life where I'm frustrated. It makes me feel less helpless if that makes sense. Having spoken to @Deisler123 last night his insight into Xia's China holdings make me feel a little bit more optimistic. Here's to all this getting sorted and if not via Xia then by someone else. Jeez I miss moaning about Bruce and whether the kit will be the right shade of Claret. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Absolutely this....it’s putting a plaster over a gaping wound.

For me, the bottom line is he needs to sell up to someone who can give us the stability we need to move forward. I guess the big question is will he and is there anyone out there to take it on?

If the loan or any other investment keeps us safe from administration for now then its all good. I do feel Xia and the club now have their work cut out to get fans back on side. A lot of trust has been broken and I think it's fair people question vague statements that they are putting out. 

As for a new owner. I believe we're still attractive to buyers. Let's face it you don't normally get into owning a club to make serious cash. So people will see us as something valuable to own be it in the championship or wherever. We're are a big part of UK culture and history in the sporting sense. An old institution, that still has appeal. Whoever owns us now, be it Xia or another. Need to rip up and start again. A real 5 to 10 year plan that doesn't repeat any of the glaring mistakes of the past 10 years or so. That is basic stuff. There are no quick fixes here now. 

I've heard there is interest, solid interest, but let's see huh?! I had that Matt Southall guy who was linked at the start of the week reply to a tweet. I'd asked him if he was interested and had he preciously tried to buy Newport and he said 'I wasn't after them, that's someone else' never said he wasn't interested though. He's the type of guy we don't want imo. Lots of different companies that have been disbanded etc no thanks. The American Guy Peter B Freund seems a solid choice, but then so did Lerner. We're due some good fortune right? Maybe the ideal plan would be for xia to get solid UK investment from outside of China and then appoint a really strong board. People like Merv King and Nicola Cortese

2 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Cheers and apology accepted. We are all a little fractious. As you can tell from my twitter posts. I'm like you though. I just want the truth and some straight talking and in the absence of that there is a huge vacuum to fill and my way to deal with that is to ask questions and try and make sense of whatever I can. I'm like this with anything in my life where I'm frustrated. It makes me feel less helpless if that makes sense. Having spoken to @Deisler123 last night his insight into Xia's China holdings make me feel a little bit more optimistic. Here's to all this getting sorted and if not via Xia then by someone else. Jeez I miss moaning about Bruce and whether the kit will be the right shade of Claret. 

I've been watching VT on and off since the news of Wyness and then the HMRC story first broke.  It's interesting to see how as fans we've gone from moaning about Bruce and his tactics (or lack of) to bricking ourselves silly regarding the club being around next week.  

I think we're lucky to have people like @Deisler123 to provide some financial insight and equally @hippo who have reminded us that we need to retain our suspicions at all times!.  It's interesting that MOMS have referred back to an article from 2016 too where all the questions about Xia and Recon were first raised but never truly addressed - they soon disappeared in a flurry of optimism as we attempted to buy the Championship.

My view (for what it's worth), is we are in the brown stuff but not so far in that we'll fold.  Xia is clearly suffering cashflow issues (in the same way Lerner got his by his divorce and the global financial crisis in 2007/08), we clearly don't have a robust Plan B either and that is where Xia is at fault.  Likewise, we don't really know if Wyness has been up to no good or simply raising the risk of going into Administration as he is obliged to do as a CEO.  I'm not defending him, just suggesting alternative possibilities..

Bottom line, we've suffered ugly football, the heartbreak of losing the play-off final, now the summer stress of wondering if our club will exist when the new season starts in less than 8 weeks.  We are clearly the most committed, resolute bunch of fans going and I think the best we can hope for now is a transfer of ownership and fresh start in the near future.  Thanks for the efforts Dr Tony but we've suffered enough these past 10 years and would really like our Villa back in one piece..(debt free and winning team would be preferable but not essential this coming season).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darth Villa said:

I've been watching VT on and off since the news of Wyness and then the HMRC story first broke.  It's interesting to see how as fans we've gone from moaning about Bruce and his tactics (or lack of) to bricking ourselves silly regarding the club being around next week.  

I think we're lucky to have people like @Deisler123 to provide some financial insight and equally @hippo who have reminded us that we need to retain our suspicions at all times!.  It's interesting that MOMS have referred back to an article from 2016 too where all the questions about Xia and Recon were first raised but never truly addressed - they soon disappeared in a flurry of optimism as we attempted to buy the Championship.

My view (for what it's worth), is we are in the brown stuff but not so far in that we'll fold.  Xia is clearly suffering cashflow issues (in the same way Lerner got his by his divorce and the global financial crisis in 2007/08), we clearly don't have a robust Plan B either and that is where Xia is at fault.  Likewise, we don't really know if Wyness has been up to no good or simply raising the risk of going into Administration as he is obliged to do as a CEO.  I'm not defending him, just suggesting alternative possibilities..

Bottom line, we've suffered ugly football, the heartbreak of losing the play-off final, now the summer stress of wondering if our club will exist when the new season starts in less than 8 weeks.  We are clearly the most committed, resolute bunch of fans going and I think the best we can hope for now is a transfer of ownership and fresh start in the near future.  Thanks for the efforts Dr Tony but we've suffered enough these past 10 years and would really like our Villa back in one piece..(debt free and winning team would be preferable but not essential this coming season).

Agree with much of that and think it's a fair summary. I think we've all been a bit shocked by this week's events. We get so used to 'Meltdowns' (a popular phrase on Twitter) that when an actual real shocking thing happens it's kinda surreal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

If the loan or any other investment keeps us safe from administration for now then its all good. I do feel Xia and the club now have their work cut out to get fans back on side. A lot of trust has been broken and I think it's fair people question vague statements that they are putting out. 

"Sit with the owner" is going to be interesting next season!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

"Sit with the owner" is going to be interesting next season!

Haha!! I thought it was odd at the time that Wyness wasn't sitting with Xia at Wembley, we now no why. 

8 hours ago, TRO said:

In our finest hour and a half in the History of our great club....We had arguably the worst chairman of all.....perhaps there is a parallel there somewhere.

In the cold light of day, we just want them to run the thing and pay the bills......and a tickle for the odd player, might come in handy.

I do not expect an owner to have to fund it,to keep it afloat, some liquidity for players to be paid back yeah,....if he does have to ,something is clearly wrong....If Tony has been doing that he is culpable of having us on a life support machine

Eh?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

Agree with much of this. We really do need to see a plan ‘b’ and fairly quickly. The longer we stumble on without a clear direction, the greater credibility attaches to the Wyness account of things (as briefed to nearly every national newspaper).

Â