Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

3 hours ago, dounavilla said:

1 billion, he's practically a peasant.

Yes, I've seen that figure a few times.  Once printed, it gets reprinted.

I haven't seen anything explaining it.  Does it mean net personal worth?  The total assets of the company?  Or is it like Trump's claims, wildly exaggerated, or the claim that Xia was responsible for the Birds Nest Stadium, which turned out to be false?

I have no idea.  But if you have access to verifiable information, rather than endlessly reprinted assertions, it would be great if you could share the links.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

A question for debate,

lets turn the clock back to Tony‘s takeover.

If you as a VT member would have been told

2 seasons later still not promoted Millions spent on player transfers & wages going into a 3rd season with ffp influencing the sales of our best players thus limiting us with player aquisitions and in search of a new manager.

Would you say that the board had made the right or wrong decisions?

It's a very convoluted question.

You want us to pretend to go back in time and be asked a question that is not only hypothetical at the time, but hypothetical even now.

I would say some of the board's decisions were probably flawed to not go up after 2 seasons with the money we've spent.

But then if you told me we'd sacked Di Matteo early in his reign and appointed a manager with one of the best reputations in this division. And showed me the players we'd signed. And the people Xia had employed. I'd be saying "well those sound like completely the right decisions to make".

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. And like I said, your question is still hypothetical now. It's entirely possible we will go up this season and then your question is entirely different.

Ultimately I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying we shouldn't have sold the club to Xia? Because the alternative could be rather horrifying.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why are people concerned about his Wealth? He has spent every penny allowed by FFP. 

I guess the concern could be levelled that he's largely spent the parachute payments plus maybe a bit of his own cash. 

I personally think the concern stems solely from the thought that we have a Lerner MK.II here, but we won't know fully until we're in the top league matching the top teams in transfer money.

Either way he's our owner and whether he has £10 or £100 billion we're stuck with him until he gets bored. I don't know where I sit on the Xia money situation really.. I hope he's ultra rich, but who knows. 

41 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I guess the concern could be levelled that he's largely spent the parachute payments plus maybe a bit of his own cash. 

I personally think the concern stems solely from the thought that we have a Lerner MK.II here, but we won't know fully until we're in the top league matching the top teams in transfer money.

Either way he's our owner and whether he has £10 or £100 billion we're stuck with him until he gets bored. I don't know where I sit on the Xia money situation really.. I hope he's ultra rich, but who knows. 

Having the money is one thing......knowing how to spend it, is another.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why are people concerned about his Wealth? He has spent every penny allowed by FFP. 

For me, it's not the money, in the sense of demanding more like a spoilt brat wanting more sweets.  It's more that the story doesn't work for me.

I don't know who he is, where his money comes from, whether he is doing this for domestic commercial purposes, whether he is fronting something on behalf of others, why he chose to get involved with the dodgy people he did during the takeover, why he lied about their involvement on the board, and therefore what he wants, how long he will be here for,  and how dependable he will be.  The internet furnishes me with no reliable answers to any of this, and I've spent a few hours searching.

I'm deeply unimpressed by the yawning chasm between the PR bollocks about top five in the world, and appointing a manager and signing a squad which have mid-table-second-division written all over them.

The lack of transparency about money isn't the problem, it's more a symptom, an illustration of the problem that we don't have a scooby about what is going on here.

I mist declare a prejudice.  I really, really don't like the way the game has become a plaything for rich kids to mess about with a real life version of a computer game, and I hate to see us becoming part of the problem.

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was thinking similar.

I think personal wealth matters a lot less in these FFP days.

18 hours ago, peterms said:

For me, it's not the money, in the sense of demanding more like a spoilt brat wanting more sweets.  It's more that the story doesn't work for me.

I don't know who he is, where his money comes from, whether he is doing this for domestic commercial purposes, whether he is fronting something on behalf of others, why he chose to get involved with the dodgy people he did during the takeover, why he lied about their involvement on the board, and therefore what he wants, how long he will be here for,  and how dependable he will be.  The internet furnishes me with no reliable answers to any of this, and I've spent a few hours searching.

I'm deeply unimpressed by the yawning chasm between the PR bollocks about top five in the world, and appointing a manager and signing a squad which have mid-table-second-division written all over them.

The lack of transparency about money isn't the problem, it's more a symptom, an illustration of the problem that we don't have a scooby about what is going on here.

I mist declare a prejudice.  I really, really don't like the way the game has become a plaything for rich kids to mess about with a real life version of a computer game, and I hate to see us becoming part of the problem.

The bit I struggle with is the claim of world domination......and I'm just waiting to see 'em trap a ball.

This years video will be "Villa's best 10 throw ins".....is where we are at.

I am kind of playing around with the notion that they must think we are daft.

I would be frightened to visit a training session at BMH

29 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I read before that he owns like 15 companies, and he sold one for $430 million which he's put in the bank account marked villa and used that to buy and find the club. 

Wrong. Chris Samuelson secretly owns us and has been asset stripping before our very eyes, and I know this cos my mate supports reading.

• Haha 1

If news of this Newcastle takeover is true, that will be another stinking rich club in the English Leagues.

Rumored that Rafa will have a 500 mill transfer kitty.

One of the reasons it was so important to try our best to go up last season, and imperative we do this one.

It could get to the point where, If we go up, Tony just might need to get additional investment from some sort of multi billion pound consortium.

It is also, why it is absolutely crucial that we keep and retain our best young talent, as well as have an almost impeccable, youth, coaching and tactical system in place and so on.

At this rate, cracking the Top 10 will become like certain clubs Premier League Title.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If news of this Newcastle takeover is true, that will be another stinking rich club in the English Leagues.

Rumored that Rafa will have a 500 mill transfer kitty.

One of the reasons it was so important to try our best to go up last season, and imperative we do this one.

It could get to the point where, If we go up, Tony just might need to get additional investment from some sort of multi billion pound consortium.

It is also, why it is absolutely crucial that we keep and retain our best young talent, as well as have an almost impeccable, youth, coaching and tactical system in place and so on.

At this rate, cracking the Top 10 will become like certain clubs Premier League Title.

I don't think it matters myself.

There are some very gifted players, then there are some very good ones, then a host of OK ones. 

I don't think there has been a time- in my lifetime -  we expected to get those in the first Category, although we have had the odd one accidentally (God springs to mind), several when they begin the downward slope of their career, and a few who by luck we have spotted first (Platt, Yorke etc)............we still will get these.

We get a few from the Second Category, always have, always will, and then, like most sides, the rest from the 3rd Category (and, sadly in the last few years, lower than that).

I dont think loads of extra money will make much difference - some, especially in foreign imports - but not much.  

I think the bit in bold IS crucial, and always has been for us.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/10/2017 at 10:20, Jareth said:

Wrong. Chris Samuelson secretly owns us and has been asset stripping before our very eyes, and I know this cos my mate supports reading.

I support Reading too, and Riting and Rithmatic! :P

• Like 2

On 22/10/2017 at 10:20, Jareth said:

and I know this cos my mate supports reading.

Your mate is wise, so do I. I find it to be a great help when surveying the assault and battery charges I am facing, or when I find myself in the local library perusing the 'newspapers', but then again, I do also try to remember not to blindly believe everything Im reading simply because I know some naughty people deliberately tell lies, or make things up, or worse still, say stuff they believe which is born from ignorant, sheltered, agenda driven cognitive biases.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2017 at 16:51, TRO said:

The bit I struggle with is the claim of world domination......and I'm just waiting to see 'em trap a ball.

This years video will be "Villa's best 10 throw ins".....is where we are at.

I am kind of playing around with the notion that they must think we are daft.

I would be frightened to visit a training session at BMH

Maybe he didn't do his research, knew nothing about football and honestly thought he could turn up, throw some money around and take over the world. Ask him the same questions again and I bet the ambitious has changed. 

Â