Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I guess if they had based their opinion of him on that article they would never have appointed him.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting a board should decide an appointment on the basis of a newspaper article.  I'm saying that the article referenced a series of things which turn out to be accurate and relevant criticisms of him as a manager, and which will have been known within the game.  The article is just the thing that points them out in an accessible way for a wider audience.  Professional advisers should have known all that, whether the article was ever written or not.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, peterms said:

To be clear, I'm not suggesting a board should decide an appointment on the basis of a newspaper article.  I'm saying that the article referenced a series of things which turn out to be accurate and relevant criticisms of him as a manager, and which will have been known within the game.  The article is just the thing that points them out in an accessible way for a wider audience.  Professional advisers should have known all that, whether the article was ever written or not.

Who is to say they didn't know all that? but weighted it against the things he was good at, all the other opinions, and the overall evidence based on his record, and decided that in terms of gaining promotion Bruce seemed a good choice and came out above others they considered who also had their pros and cons.

We are a Championship club. We don't have the pick of the litter in terms of managers. Any manager we go for is likely to have those that rate him within the game and those that have doubts about them. Overall though I can see why the club went for Bruce even if 11 months down the line it currently appears to have been the wrong choice.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Who is to say they didn't know all that? but weighted it against the things he was good at, all the other opinions, and the overall evidence based on his record, and decided that in terms of gaining promotion Bruce seemed a good choice and came out above others they considered who also had their pros and cons.

We are a Championship club. We don't have the pick of the litter in terms of managers. Any manager we go for is likely to have those that rate him within the game and those that have doubts about them. Overall though I can see why the club went for Bruce even if 11 months down the line it currently appears to have been the wrong choice.

Yes there are many of us who are now anti Bruce but felt at the time it was a decent choice - it's not xias  fault for appointing him but I do blame him for sticking with him so long .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, peterms said:

I think you could mirror those comments about Martin O'Neill too......another desired option, who you could build 2 cases against for and against.

some of the successful managers  in football have been near misses.

Owners don't have an easy task.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Hindsight is an exact science....just what you allude to Mark.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Oh really? Shit, hadn't noticed.

Or me, must have been blurred by the dodgy streams I had been watching :)

• Haha 1

one day, there will be an interview with Tony on a premier league programme, and anyone used to that league (as we were) will think ohh ho who is this new guy, typical monied chinese and all their wealth, and what they just will not understand is that this guy has been with us during the worst period in modern times of our existence, and he was in it because he could see how passionate villa fans were in that game against NUFC as we were relegated and thought that this is a club worth investing in. I repeat, it is because of our fans, and our passion - and our history that Tony felt it worth a go. I do not care how long it takes, but Tony will get there, if carlsberg did owners. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, bristol City I think was the first game I saw it.

I was at the game, Didn't notice it but I was at the back of the stand. Didn't bother watching the Boro highlights so definitely missed it then.

Edited by sexbelowsound

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, bristol City I think was the first game I saw it.

It wasn't on for the Bristol game. Brentford at home was the first game. Rongtian confirmed on Twitter on the 29th of August that all match kit will be Recon branded from the next game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

It wasn't on for the Bristol game. Brentford at home was the first game. Rongtian confirmed on Twitter on the 29th of August that all match kit will be Recon branded from the next game.

Ah, fair enough. I knew I'd seen it there before today and I thought it was on the black shirts I'd seen it, so assumed it must have been that game.

• Like 1

I'm a little bit surprised there's been no reaction at all to yesterday's win on his twitter. 

Maybe he's waiting to see how we get on in our next few games before he makes any celebratory comments.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I'm a little bit surprised there's been no reaction at all to yesterday's win on his twitter. 

Maybe he's waiting to see how we get on in our next few games before he makes any celebratory comments.

Don't worry his manager is celebrating like we've just been promoted :P

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yes, he would look a little silly if he celebrated today's win then sacks Bruce next week after another poor performance. Best just keep schtum and see how the next few go. 

• Like 3

Â