Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

We are spending a insane amount on wages given the income that will be coming in next season.  Players coming to Villa are getting x3/4 times more than there previous clubs. I am concerned about the financial footing of Villa if we do not get promoted next season. It could be a complete meltdown.

• Like 1

It is very concerning news on the wage bill, we have been here before and seen the fallout afterwards when it cannot be sustained. Ideally, I would like to have seen a more incentivised wages scheme, whereby big bonuses are paid on achieving promotion. I do wonder whether paying players way above what they have previously earned has taken the edge off their games, or maybe added additional pressures on them.

None of us know the ins and outs of the wage to income values so we shouldn't panic until the accounts are announced where it should all become clearer.

I feel sorry for Tony Xia because he seems like a genuine guy who wants our club to succeed but, there does seem like a lot of doubters out there - fans and critics alike - who seem to doubt him. I am willing to trust him until official statistics tell me not to.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I've literally no idea how Tony can be the focal point of any negativity. What more is he supposed to have done?

I don't think he should be the focal point. But let's not forget the massive issues caused by Lerner spending lots of money but making terrible decisions at the same time. 

There's more to being an owner than spending money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think he should be the focal point. But let's not forget the massive issues caused by Lerner spending lots of money but making terrible decisions at the same time. 

He's barely been here a year. We've been stung once but that doesn't mean everybody is going to be like Lerner.

Give the guy a chance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

He's barely been here a year. We've been stung once but that doesn't mean everybody is going to be like Lerner.

Give the guy a chance.

I think people are giving him a chance, but that doesn't mean we should all have blind faith. I think being cautious of how our club is ran is only a good thing, I wish more people did it during Lerner's ownership.

• Like 3

Just now, PieFacE said:

I think people are giving him a chance, but that doesn't mean we should all have blind faith. I think being cautious of how our club is ran is only a good thing, I wish more people did it during Lerner's ownership.

Caution is fine. I'm not sure what he's done so far though to make people question him. Maybe i've missed something?

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

agree, theres making money, lerner didnt, tony by the nature of what the chinese government is doing is making money from us already, if we become successful then he'll make more

theres still so much that we simply dont know about him, the chinese, his business plans, plans for birmingham, it could go one of several different ways but the article suggesting that he's waiting for us to get promoted, going to stick his company's name everywhere as they bid to go west, the chinese government gets involved and sticks other names everywhere, several chinese companies invest heavily in to the city, in to HS2, in to the enterprise zone thats on our doorstep, in to the commonwealth games bid and that aston villa are the catalyst for all of that to come possible...that article gets shot down as wishy washy, the one that says we're shit, hes a con and we're doomed is obviously gospel

at the very least owning us means he pays less tax in china, we have a value to him, that value is whatever the tax reduction is worth and then whatever his personal enjoyment of it all is, if the enjoyment goes the tax thing doesnt 

7 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Give the guy a chance.

I love the guy. I'm fully behind him. 

I'm just pointing out he will be judged on more than money spent. 

At the end of the day are we in our league position because of the money spent or his managerial decisions? 

He has my full support at the moment but his decision making has to match his ambition and willingness to invest. Otherwise we're **** again. 

I remember discussing ages ago (prior to Lerner leaving the club) what kind of owner people would like.  I was in the minority - wanting an owner who didn't just splash the cash but was committed to the cause.  The majority seemed to want what Man City have - an instant cash boost that the rest of the division can't match to push the team forwards.

If we don't get promoted next season, I think we'll be in trouble - trouble that the likes of Portsmouth simply have not recovered from.

To me, Tony Xia gets part of the blame if that is the case.  All well and good spending dolla, but it really, really needs to be sustainable.  The worst case scenario is always a possibility.

• Like 1

I still won't blame Tony if we don't go up next year.  It would really take staggering managerial incompetence to not achieve it by then.  He's done the right thing in trusting Bruce's record and giving him money, it's down to him now.  I don't think we will be splashing the cash in the summer anyway as we got our targets in early.  A mixture of new convenient Chinese deals and wiser spending should be enough to avoid too many problems.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still won't blame Tony if we don't go up next year.  It would really take staggering managerial incompetence to not achieve it by then.  He's done the right thing in trusting Bruce's record and giving him money, it's down to him now.  I don't think we will be splashing the cash in the summer anyway as we got our targets in early.  A mixture of new convenient Chinese deals and wiser spending should be enough to avoid too many problems.  

Image result for steve bruce

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

:trollface:

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, PieFacE said:

The plan from Tony's mouth is to be the biggest club in the world in 5 years....

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the plan (from Tony's mouth) to be the most well-known club in the world in China in 5 years?

ie: Out of the all the clubs in the world, the most well-known "in China" will be Aston Villa. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the plan (from Tony's mouth) to be the most well-known club in the world in China in 5 years?

ie: Out of the all the clubs in the world, the most well-known "in China" will be Aston Villa. 

But actually I want more than than that. I want it to be the best known football club in the world. And I believe that the name “Villa” can become the best known, first because it can become a big club in China, but also my plan involves other clubs, and they will also have Villa’s name.’

To be fair he said "In 5 years, or after five years" lol. This was in the beginning and I don't think he can be slated for it. Realistically we don't know his plans, and he didn't expect this level of noncery in management either!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3642596/New-Aston-Villa-owner-Tony-Xia-plans-make-club-biggest-world.html

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

But then whose hiring managers who are showing staggering levels of incompetence?

Lerner hiring McLeish and sticking with Lambert are decisions on him, not something that can be excused and placed just on the managers. 

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair he said "In 5 years, or after five years" lol. This was in the beginning and I don't think he can be slated for it. Realistically we don't know his plans, and he didn't expect this level of noncery in management either!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3642596/New-Aston-Villa-owner-Tony-Xia-plans-make-club-biggest-world.html

It doesn't exactly say what he expects in 5 years either.  Not quite sure if that relates to the other quotes in that article.

He also wants the name 'Villa' to be the best-known, but hints it might be from other clubs or business ventures with the "Villa" name. 

So i have no idea what that 5-year plan is.

• Like 1

What's really frustrating is that despite spending a lot of money on players and 2 different managers, on paper they made/make really good sense, (Di Matter possibly the odd one out but still not a wild appointment). Cb's who have been promoted from the division, Chester easily holding his own in the Prem. Strikers who have banged them in at this level, midfielders who have scored and assisted in this division (albeit arriving in January), a DM who Palace fans seemed disappointed about losing, a winger who helped get Boro promoted last season. A manager promoted 4 times from this division. GK has been a stumbling area but I'm not in the camp of thinking Johnstone is a complete liability, he wouldn't have been given a new deal at Utd if he was truly awful. 

Xia's/the club's  decisions make sense but at the moment there doesn't seem to be a unity and togetherness amongst the players and fans and the players themselves.

Bruce can't settle on a side, although injuries in key areas haven't helped but we have all the tools to push on. The Richards thing shows desperation, if we could all take a step back and relieve the tension a little, Bruce included then I think we could give a few teams a good hiding but as it is, Bruce is so concerned about losing that he's not focusing on how to win. The likes of Hourihane and Lansbury need to be closer to the opposition's Cb's rather than hours but such is the worry about losing we're miles of a forward thinking style. 

Bruce has to be brave and go at teams. At worst, we'll be caught in the break and lose but fans can accept losing giving it a good go rather than losing with a whimper. Come out swinging Bruce because you have the weapons to inflict damage to others otherwise we and you will get a kicking. 

More advanced CM/CM's linking up with the strikers rather than launching long balls for them to scrap off and by-passing the players who can do damage with the ball at their feet. Sometimes football can be complicated but it can also be simple if you make it so. 

Apologies for kinda going off topic but I started so I thought I'd finish, ooo-er. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

But then whose hiring managers who are showing staggering levels of incompetence?

Lerner hiring McLeish and sticking with Lambert are decisions on him, not something that can be excused and placed just on the managers. 

Whilst RDM was possibly more of a gamble, I think it's crazily harsh to criticise Xia for "staggering levels of incompetence" when it comes to hiring managers.

Football seems to be a bonkers world where everything happens backwards.  The people who influence results the most, the players, have such an easy ride.  The manager should be blamed for their failings which, in turn, means the owner should be blamed for hiring a manager who the players have failed.

• Like 1

Â