Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

On 6/16/2016 at 22:05, TRO said:

Bill Shankly answering that accusation on our behalf said " any team that wins 26 games in a season deserves to win the league"....We won 3 more games than Ipswich (who were a fine side) with 14 players.. that will never be repeated.

Would Ipswich have won the European cup? .....maybe not.

Wasnt the point I was trying to get across.  I know all about the we deserved to win (Ron Saunders Scrap Book can be used as a source :) ) due to number of wins.

The point was Tony X has said he wants us in the Champs League and people were saying it wasnt possible.

Anyone at Chesterfield vs  Villa circa 1970 would never believed that 12 years later we would win the European Cup.

Shankly also spotted the potential Villa had in those early 70s.  Told Ian Ross a Liverpool reserve player to get himself down to Villa as something is happening down there, when we came calling wanting to sign him.

• Like 1

Talk of Tony buying up other clubs in the express today - actions not words showing us he does actually mean business - very exciting, I'm gonna buy a villa shirt for each and every new villa.

Incoming chief executive Keith Wyness has confirmed Tony Xia is in active discussions to buy other clubs as the new owner aims to make Villa a global force.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2016/06/20/chief-executive-keith-wyness-aston-villa-in-talks-to-buy-foreign-clubs/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Talk of Tony buying up other clubs in the express today - actions not words showing us he does actually mean business - very exciting, I'm gonna buy a villa shirt for each and every new villa.

Incoming chief executive Keith Wyness has confirmed Tony Xia is in active discussions to buy other clubs as the new owner aims to make Villa a global force.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2016/06/20/chief-executive-keith-wyness-aston-villa-in-talks-to-buy-foreign-clubs/

Not a man short of money hey?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think that's spin, didn't moyes reject us?!

Could quite easily be spin from Villa but on the other hand we supposedly didn't offer him the job, so Moyes might have realised he wasn't going to get it and avoided the publicity of being rejected and pulled out.

• Like 2

Hopefully they'll do what I asked General K to do in 2008:

As was standard for that ownership, they couldn't see further than their nose and rubbished the idea that the club should have anything to do with the local area

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/685-general-krulak-no-transfer-questions-allowed/?do=findComment&comment=672893

2. We recognize that there are areas around Villa park that need some "regeneration" but, in reality, we just can't go throwing money at things that really do not come within our remit. I would imagine that most fans would not appreciate their Club spending money on regeneration of parts of B'ham to the detriment of spending on their Club.

Going way back didn't we have some sort of partnership with a Danish club about 10 years ago?

I'm firmly of the opinion let's get our own side sorted first before we branch out to acquiring other clubs but yes ultimately franchising will happen eventually.

3 hours ago, NIVillan said:

Wasnt the point I was trying to get across.  I know all about the we deserved to win (Ron Saunders Scrap Book can be used as a source :) ) due to number of wins.

The point was Tony X has said he wants us in the Champs League and people were saying it wasnt possible.

Anyone at Chesterfield vs  Villa circa 1970 would never believed that 12 years later we would win the European Cup.

Shankly also spotted the potential Villa had in those early 70s.  Told Ian Ross a Liverpool reserve player to get himself down to Villa as something is happening down there, when we came calling wanting to sign him.

If your saying it is possible,i would agree.

but it would take a very focussed and determined approach from many of the management and playing staff to have even a chance of doing it.....lady luck also plays a big part

I also agree that we would not have envisaged years before 1982 that feat was possible, but just shows it can be done.

as the old saying goes " if you think you can,you can.....if you think you can't, you can't.

simples

• Like 1

I am wondering whether these two statement are contradictory?

“My ambition is to bring Villa to the top six in less than five years and I hope it can be [one of] the top three in the world – even the best well known in the world – in less than 10 years”

Xia said the team itself could be profitable if properly managed. "We believe sports teams can make profit and there are examples of that in the English Premier League already, that's why we bought Aston Villa - for its business potential, not as a personal indulgence"

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Going way back didn't we have some sort of partnership with a Danish club about 10 years ago?

I'm firmly of the opinion let's get our own side sorted first before we branch out to acquiring other clubs but yes ultimately franchising will happen eventually.

I think the plan is chris for these clubs to be a feeder for Villa....this guy looks like he will not let the "grass grow under his feet"...,,he appears to be an action man not a procrastination man.

If some of the huge plans he has can come to fruition, he needs to move fast.

it sounds like to me, that at last we have someone with a real blueprint.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Xia appears to be a man who wants to keep pushing forward. He will push forward and leave others to follow behind and take up the slack. That is not necessarily a problem - it works fine if the subordinates are carefully chosen and are capable.

21 minutes ago, ender4 said:

“My ambition is to bring Villa to the top six in less than five years and I hope it can be [one of] the top three in the world – even the best well known in the world – in less than 10 years”

Xia said the team itself could be profitable if properly managed. "We believe sports teams can make profit and there are examples of that in the English Premier League already, that's why we bought Aston Villa - for its business potential, not as a personal indulgence"

He does seem to say one thing one day - then appear to back track. He's recently said RDM has complete control of transfers, then indicated he would be involved in the discussions, then said RDM should sell the 'really bad' players. I think he is over excited at the miniute, which is good, but some of things he is saying look more like pie in the sky to me....

22 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think most clubs in the PL make a profit. He's put time windows around the first claim (which seems ambitious), but none around the second. He's not saying that we'll be profitable from day one. What makes you think that they are contradictory?

16 minutes ago, limpid said:

I think most clubs in the PL make a profit. He's put time windows around the first claim (which seems ambitious), but none around the second. He's not saying that we'll be profitable from day one. What makes you think that they are contradictory?

I didn't necessarily think they are contradictory.

My main thought was that to become a top 3 club (in 10 years) is probably going to need a spend of a couple of billion of pounds. I can't think that Villa would ever make this money back (even in another £10 years) to be profitable.

Of course, he could mean annually profitable discounting the big influx of starter funds, and then counting the £2billion spent against the eventual sale price. Even then it looks difficult to get to break-even.

Â