Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, I will never forgive him. This magnificent institution lasted 144 years through good years and bad years but whatever dark days there have been through that 144 years no one ever took this club to the very brink of extinction.  Tony did within just 2 years of his tenure through catastrophic negligence. That he was good intentioned and didn't mean it just doesn't wash. 

He had his eyes open the whole time and deliberately caused the scenario we found ourselves in.  He was like a gambling addict at the table throwing in the deeds to his house on the last hand. 

And "nice" Tony also bare faced lied to the fans by saying they had planned for failing to get promoted and also insulted in a quite vile manner those who called him out who had actually rumbled him for what he was. 

I will never look on him fondly and cannot understand any sentiment for the man who deliberately took reckless action which nearly destroyed this club. 

Sorry but I still feel this notion that we were seconds away from administration is melodramatic hyper sensationalism.

I said at the time that no way ASTON VILLA would just be folding, no matter how good of a story it was for the Tabloids.

I also said at the time, people turn into Hindsighticians (Made up word obviously) afterwards talking about him risking the future of the club on promotion etc.

However the same people would have been throwing a strop if he decided to be sensible and publicly announce a "slow, sustainable build" which could take years.

Management is as liable for the gross failure, as they put all their trust in Bruce and gave him ALL the tools required.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry but I still feel this notion that we were seconds away from administration is melodramatic hyper sensationalism.

It really isn't and if you don't believe we were right up against it you are very naive. 

He was remortgaging semi detached houses in Erdington and going to corporate equivalent of payday lenders. 

We wouldn't have lasted another month. 

7 hours ago, dukes said:

The board of 1968 says Hi

That was one of the dark days to which I was referring but even then I don't think they were flogging off the car parks to pay bills. 

You normally get a pretty good idea how bad things are when when HMRC start issuing winding up orders. 

That wasn't some flight of fantasy dreamed up by James Nursey at the Mirror. 

For one thing these are different times and fans DEMAND instant success, what was Xia supposed to come in and say ? "We just expect to stay in the Championship as that's about our level"

Maybe not.  But perhaps don't over-egg the thing by talking about being one of the top 2/3 teams in world football within three years either. 

Edited by HolteExile

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

That was one of the dark days to which I was referring but even then I don't think they were flogging off the car parks to pay bills. 

Although they did sell the training ground.  On the old official history video in 1988, Charlie Aitken talks about how they would beg, steal and borrow places to train.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

...all to get HIS hands on the PL money. Cannot believe people still fall for his act. He's a genius in a way.

Not meant as any kind of defence, but he lost money. As far as the club was concerned, his outgoings were more than he received. The idea that the "PL money" was in some way something he benefited from is a bit of a farce.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

apparently xia's stake in our club has now dropped to 25% the birminghammail.co.uk reports and Nas and Wes are closing in on compete domination lol...

On 21/09/2018 at 14:13, dukes said:

For real ? Villa's lowest ebb, Division 3 football, and bankrupt. 

For one thing these are different times and fans DEMAND instant success, what was Xia supposed to come in and say ? "We just expect to stay in the Championship as that's about our level" ? New owners come into big clubs and make big claims. I'm sure Xia regrets his wild claims of Champions League football, but I suspect he had been badly guided and believed it was possible at the time.

Nobody really knows what would have happened had we got promoted in that first season. It doesn't matter whose money it was, we spent enough for us all to rightfully expect promotion at the first attempt. If he'd got it right perhaps he'd have bet again. Xia gambled, and lost. At the end of the day whether by luck or by judgement he secured new owners (who on the face of it seem to be serious) at the right time rather than pursue the line that would have seen us bankrupt with a point deduction, and facing extinction.

I'm no fan of his, this isn't a defence of him, Xia was a fool for sure, but not our worst owner by a long way.

When an owner makes a claim like he did about Villa's future.....its inevitable that the doubts creep in.

its hard enough to just get out of this league, never mind delusions of grandeur.

It was naive.

On 21/09/2018 at 23:29, limpid said:

Not meant as any kind of defence, but he lost money. As far as the club was concerned, his outgoings were more than he received. The idea that the "PL money" was in some way something he benefited from is a bit of a farce.

I took that to mean the PL money we'd have received if we'd achieved promotion.

I do find some of the hate towards the dude at times as silly as his tweets. Every owner in history has talked about ambition, doing this and that to elevate the club from the position they sit in. Sure the guy was/is a media twit and ultimately failed in getting the club back to the premier league and nearly sent the club into admin...…🤔….Burn him, I've changed my mind!!

Seriously though. He came in and tried to do all the right things in order to be accepted into the Villa community. His bad decisions were in trusting those he employed to make the right decisions. Especially the so called professional football people who had an apparent wealth of knowledge in the game. Although it hasn't worked out for him I believe he was genuine in wanting to be the guy that got us back up and successful again. He also pulled the plug when he realised shit was becoming serious and then got investment/new owners that can most definitely put the club back on the map. Not will, but can. I cant dislike the guy for that, but definitely glad he has had to relinquished his position. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I do find some of the hate towards the dude at times as silly as his tweets. Every owner in history has talked about ambition, doing this and that to elevate the club from the position they sit in. Sure the guy was/is a media twit and ultimately failed in getting the club back to the premier league and nearly sent the club into admin...…🤔….Burn him, I've changed my mind!!

Seriously though. He came in and tried to do all the right things in order to be accepted into the Villa community. His bad decisions were in trusting those he employed to make the right decisions. Especially the so called professional football people who had an apparent wealth of knowledge in the game. Although it hasn't worked out for him I believe he was genuine in wanting to be the guy that got us back up and successful again. He also pulled the plug when he realised shit was becoming serious and then got investment/new owners that can most definitely put the club back on the map. Not will, but can. I cant dislike the guy for that, but definitely glad he has had to relinquished his position. 

He’s about as genuine as a nine bob note. He, Wyness and Samuelson had a very simplistic plan to use the parachute payments to get us back up quickly and then cash in. I think he waved a few quid about and conned a few Chinese investors into getting involved too, but whether he ever had any real money of his own is very doubtful. I would be more inclined to think of Lerner as a well intentioned mug, but Xia was less than honest in his dealings as were his close associates. 

I have it on good authority that he was prepared to pull the plug on the whole deal with NSWE if he didn’t get his Chairman title. He was backed into a corner and cared more about saving face than saving Aston Villa. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

He’s about as genuine as a nine bob note. He, Wyness and Samuelson had a very simplistic plan to use the parachute payments to get us back up quickly and then cash in. I think he waved a few quid about and conned a few Chinese investors into getting involved too, but whether he ever had any real money of his own is very doubtful. I would be more inclined to think of Lerner as a well intentioned mug, but Xia was less than honest in his dealings as were his close associates. 

I have it on good authority that he was prepared to pull the plug on the whole deal with NSWE if he didn’t get his Chairman title. He was backed into a corner and cared more about saving face than saving Aston Villa. 

Then you know a little more about him than I do Dave. I stand corrected.

I guess his shares will continue to be diluted to zero and it will be a none story when he disappears completely out of the picture .... haven’t nothing but contempt for him and his shady actions .....which are definitely true  as I was working at OUFC at the time and the owner warned me weeks into his Dr X ownership things weren’t right ( he is a bluenose who actually almost purchased SHA so I thought he was being a tad bitter...) I also heard other murmurings but just hearsay at the time ..... anyways he deserves all the criticism and more and he will be remembered as he the charlatan he proved to be...  I have more disdain towards him than Lerner ...

. I was a Randy supporter at times but he was ultimately awful owner of our football club no denying .... I do think extenuating circumstances with his divorce ... o’neil... citeh ... and his ultimate naivety/ stupidly were his failings..ending in relegation ...But  . Xia irresponsible wasted an golden opportunity to rebuild and lay down any lasting good ... he gambled ..He is a very astute bullshut artist who got lucky .... lost a lot of other peoples money (sic?🤔) got his 15 mins of fame at our expense and will continue his life no worries .... We will hopefully look back and thank his ineptitude in years to come to leading us to NSWE .... ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Then you know a little more about him than I do Dave. I stand corrected.

He’s not unique in the long list of people who have contributed to our tragic mismanagement over the years. Hopefully we have finally fell on our feet. 

Â