Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

18 hours ago, Jareth said:

This is a bit pithy - they were not Chinese press articles Google translated into English saying Us Chinese must save face over and above anything else - or did I miss that? In other words, Tony's a shite for being a money oriented prick, not for being stereotypically Chinese. In other words - he's probably got a lot in common with the next owner, regardless of nationality. 

It's pretty  presumptuous to tell me what I saw with my own eyes. I read two articles.....as I said by leading Chinese economists into Chinese sport and the Business culture surrounding it, so yes you missed it. It really isn't a big deal though. the rest, I'm not going to try and address. I'm not Chinese, I don't know what is and isn't common. Our fellow poster Chinese poster "too much was made of the optics etc" (or words to that effect before you go being pedantic about it) not that it was not 100% a factor, but as I said it's really not the point. The point is he's made a royal f**k up and needs to sell. 

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Mate, I've been following this club for my whole lifetime. I don't know much, but I do know it's not just around the corner from 'breaking even'. The time to sell is now. If he sells all the quality in the playing squad, the club will be relegated with enormous debts, and probably enter administration, but even so would be worth basically nothing from the point of view of a sale. If he doesn't sell most of the playing squad, the club will enter administration shortly as there is real doubt about our ability to pay bills on a weekly basis. 

He needs to sell ASAP; on this at least, his interests and ours are aligned. 

His debts here at Villa equal the reported debts in Teamax which @Deisler123 described as HUGE, so he's kinda f**king up here and there. Some might argue he's really not a good businessman after all. 

6 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I don't know that your 47% 'red or black' analogy is fair. I might be wrong, but I think it's much more than half of the clubs that put money in like we have that get promoted.

If we're as close to administration (or the technical term 'we're f***ed*) as many people are saying, then of course what Tony has done is negligent and reckless, but many other teams have made these types of gambles to get promoted previously. Clubs have been into administration and recovered, clubs have sold assets and recovered, and a number of clubs have made these gambles and have gotten promoted, with the issues never to come to light. Brighton and Newcastle being the most recent examples, whose ratio of wage bill/turnover was similar to ours, IIRC. I'm sure I read that Leicester and Bournemouth did the same. Some of these teams have been fined because of their overspending. Had they failed at promotion as Xia, Bruce and Villa have done, then they'd be in similar positions to us, if not worse, who knows. On the flip side, if we'd achieved promotion then all of this would have been avoided, and we would have hit the jackpot. (I don't buy this talk that if we'd gotten promoted, that Xia would have still bankrupted us somehow by overspending the Premier League money).

I don't think @Jareth's 'It has been a good experiment' comment is the right wording, but it's a similar 'experiment' (gamble) to what many clubs have done before, so you can see why Xia and any other decision-makers at the club took that approach: Bring in some of the best players available, bring in proven managers and hope that they all come good.

The biggest error on their parts is taking the spending that bit too far that it's not left us with enough to tick over.

Fools and their money are soon parted and all that......I dread to think what might have happened if we'd of gone up with our serious cash flow issues. We'll never know, i thing that is becoming clear is he's not made a very good job of his time at Villa, to the point where I'd take administration to get rid and clear the debts etc and start again and IF he stays it will happen sooner rather than later for sure (without fresh money) A terrible owner. Time will tell whether it was malicious in intent, I suspect he was just pretty dumb at Football/UK Business and was also showing off at first as opposed to being an outright fraud. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

I'm not disagreeing on the spending, I am just saying that we didn't do it in the right way. We have purchased championship players for high fees/wages, with no real chance of a sell on value. The second season we have purchased experienced players who are nearing the end of their careers on high wages. There was no coherent strategy and no plan B. That is the failure. Spending our way out of the league was not necessarily a bad plan, it was the execution of it that was. I've talked about it before but we have bought players who all fit different teams and different ways of playing. Teams like Fulham, Wolves, Cardiff and even Newcastle go in players that fitted what they were trying to do. Just look at us signing Kodjia and McCormack in the same window or Hogan in the Jan window. No strategy. 

And 2 of the 3 responsible for that strategy are still here. Round and Bruce......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Sorry for a late follow up to this, but are you sure CS failed the owners and directors test (the fit and proper person test?), I mean if it is a rumour or a fact that can be verified? It's quite interesting if he actually was supposed to be a director. Two years ago there was quite much discussion here on the forum regarding the role of CS, if he was merely a middle man who helped and facilitated Xia to buy the club, or if he was meant to have a bigger role. Before the take over there were pictures from the dressing room where Villa shirts with names on were displayed and you could see the names of Wyness and Samuelsson etc. After the takeover CS was present at an event in India where he spoke about the clubs ambition to have partner clubs in India etc, and as you said he was also put up and then removed as a director (which has been explained by being a normal practise when facilitating a aquisition). If I remember correctly Xia then said in a tweet that CS had nothing to do with the club more than helping out with the aquisition.

I had bought the version that CS only helpt Xia to buy the club. But if it is so that he actually was meant to be a director and failed the owner and directors test it comes in a new light and it looks as if he was meant to have a bigger role. It makes the whole aquisition become more dodgy. As question marks now start to re-emerge regarding Xia and how he funded the aquisition, it would be quite interesting to know what role CS actually was meant to have (especially in light of the rumours about CS other affairs). It also sippers down to the role of Hollis and what he knew.

(I don't intend to reopen the whole CS discussion here ? just interested if he actually failed the owners and directors test to get some more info on what Xias was thinking when he bought us).  

Yes he did fail the test, I know this to be a fact and I'll try and back it up with a reputable news source. I already provided proof he was appointed Vice/Deputy Chairman, but here you go, oh and a report saying they were to be on the board once they passed the test.

Aston Villa have updated their website with an all new 'Who's Who' page.

In are Dr Tony Xia, Roberto Di Matteo and new members of his coaching staff.

The club's new board members, Chris Samuelson Jamie Banfill, and Keith Wyness are not confirmed as yet.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-whos-who-page-11492540

The former Reading director knows his way around the football world and has been acting as an advisor for Xia. He is expected to come in as vice-chairman.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-meet-men-who-11469507

The new Villa vice-chairman is Chris Samuelson, an international financier who has been involved in a failed takeover at fellow Championship club Reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36522094

Interestingly the link I posted last week listed Samuelson on the actual AVFC OS is now throwing up a 404 error......Funny that. 

To help you sleep at night Samuelson is STILL advising Xia *allegedly and no I sadly can't prove that on a public forum. The fact he was the mastermind behind the whole Xia purchase should tell us plenty.  

• Thanks 1

Haven't seen this posted anywhere so...

http://kwese.espn.com/football/club/ac-milan/103/blog/post/3549065/ac-milans-european-expulsionownership-fiasco-understanding-the-mess-in-milan

Q: Li Yonghong isn't the billionaire people thought he was?

A: There has been plenty of debate about that. But what we know for certain is that when he bought the club for some $800 million (including $250 million of debt) he borrowed some $350 million from a hedge fund, Elliott Management, at hefty interest rates. He needs to repay that by October, otherwise Elliott take over. UEFA felt that the risk of a default was too high to enter into an SA, which is supposed to be a binding medium-term agreement. And actually, the way things are going, Li could default even earlier.

It's eerily similar to our situation, especially the stuff about wealth and borrowing.  Sooner he sells up the better for everyone, including him  

8 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I don't know that your 47% 'red or black' analogy is fair. I might be wrong, but I think it's much more than half of the clubs that put money in like we have that get promoted.

If we're as close to administration (or the technical term 'we're f***ed*) as many people are saying, then of course what Tony has done is negligent and reckless, 1) but many other teams have made these types of gambles to get promoted previously. Clubs have been into administration and recovered, clubs have sold assets and recovered, and a number of clubs have made these gambles and have gotten promoted, with the issues never to come to light. Brighton and Newcastle being the most recent examples, whose ratio of wage bill/turnover was similar to ours, IIRC. I'm sure I read that Leicester and Bournemouth did the same. Some of these teams have been fined because of their overspending. Had they failed at promotion as Xia, Bruce and Villa have done, then they'd be in similar positions to us, if not worse, who knows. 2) On the flip side, if we'd achieved promotion then all of this would have been avoided, and we would have hit the jackpot. (I don't buy this talk that if we'd gotten promoted, that Xia would have still bankrupted us somehow by overspending the Premier League money).

I don't think @Jareth's 'It has been a good experiment' comment is the right wording, but it's a similar 'experiment' (gamble) to what many clubs have done before, so you can see why Xia and any other decision-makers at the club took that approach: 3) Bring in some of the best players available, bring in proven managers and hope that they all come good.

The biggest error on their parts is taking the spending that bit too far that it's not left us with enough to tick over.

1) I remember clubs gambling with FFP. Could you point out the clubs that failed to pay a tax bill, while accepting less money on incoming transfer payments so they could have them weeks earlier?

2) That's fine. I don't buy the idea that a liar and an owner of several failing business ventures would start making brilliant decisions because of promotion.

3) Haven't got much of an issue with that, although hindsight shows sticking with bruce was wrong. But we are in a complete mess with FFP and how the club is run. I don't think that can be shrugged off as a good experiment. 

43 minutes ago, paul1984 said:

Has anything interesting happened yet?

The Birmingham Mail have written an excessive amount of articles regarding potential new owners which don’t actually really have any information or journalistic content. Otherwise, no.

im looking forward to the Birmingham Mail’s exclusive tomorrow which outlines what fans think the new owners should wear at any press conference.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

The Birmingham Mail have written an excessive amount of articles regarding potential new owners which don’t actually really have any information or journalistic content. Otherwise, no.

im looking forward to the Birmingham Mail’s exclusive tomorrow which outlines what fans think the new owners should wear at any press conference.

It gets views mate, which is what the game is all about. Just avoid them, if they report anything of note then someone will post it here anyways. 

39 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I hear you, the headlines they use are extremely frustrating though when scrolling through NewsNow or alike.

Newsnow is just a breeding ground for clickbait, I personally only click ones that have the fact in the title. I.e "John Terry leaves Villa" rather than "you will never guess which former England captain has told his manager to **** off whilst on holiday in Magaluf". 

• Like 2

https://villaleaks.com/china-xia-publicly-rebuked/

China: Xia Publicly Rebuked

While the problems continue to mount up for Tony Xia in B6, he has suffered further humiliation in China after being public censured by the Shanghai Stock Exchange. Problems surrounding his company Lotus Health and a transfer of shares in a subsidiary have caused the Shanghai Stock Exchange to make public their displeasure and to inform the local government of their decision.

Not sure how reliable. If it is, he continues to look like a liar and untrustworthy. 

Just a good experiment though. Poor Tony.

Edited by DCJonah

Â