Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

though...

Xia said the team itself could be profitable if properly managed. "We believe sports teams can make profit and there are examples of that in the English Premier League already, that's why we bought Aston Villa - for its business potential, not as a personal indulgence"

There was something in the news on Friday about 16 of the teams in the PL made a profit last year. Shows again just how badly run we have been that even after several years of austerity with our superior corporate entertainment and large support we somehow managed to make a £30m loss whilst being one of the worst teams ever whilst many smaller clubs with less resources have been putting out decent competitive squads whilst turning a profit. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

How's about Birmingham, Alabama?  Just buy a chunk of the city, call it Aston, bobs your uncle.  

Apparently there's a place called Alton just ten miles away, seems close enough to me. 

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Amazed this is all taking so long...do fit and proper tests for new owners at other clubs really take weeks on end to conduct?

It sounds like they are making a bit more effort nowadays, plus this is the first time a team has been taken over having been relegated from the Prem to the Championship which confuses things a bit as I think both have to do the checks. 

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

There was something in the news on Friday about 16 of the teams in the PL made a profit last year. Shows again just how badly run we have been that even after several years of austerity with our superior corporate entertainment and large support we somehow managed to make a £30m loss whilst being one of the worst teams ever whilst many smaller clubs with less resources have been putting out decent competitive squads whilst turning a profit. 

True, I have never understood it myself.

There is added complexity because we have changed leagues but not yet officially and there are deadlines upon submitting the test after we are officially members of the football league.  I believe the premier league also has more stringent rules particularly around identifying who is involved in controlling the club and where the money is coming from. The football league have no requirement for identifying all directors , I believe 

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

And people think Lerner lost so much money owning Vills, suspect substantial funds being siphoned off each year. Probably paid himself a massive wage, hence why wages so high.

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

No. the accounts show that is not the case. Outside players, the Highest paid person was Tom Fox, who for some unfathomable reason was on over a million quid a year. Randy Lerner didn't pay himself anything throughout the time he owned the club. He really did spend an absolute ton making a mess of the club.

Therein lies the real shame.

Having rid us of the former owner who only ever took out from the club, ran it like his own corner shop and wouldn't even spring for bug spray, Randy kept in the background and put in a great deal of his own dosh - only for us to be in a worse state than we were previously.

Go figure.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

No. the accounts show that is not the case. Outside players, the Highest paid person was Tom Fox, who for some unfathomable reason was on over a million quid a year. Randy Lerner didn't pay himself anything throughout the time he owned the club. He really did spend an absolute ton making a mess of the club.

I suspect the Randy Lerner/Aston Villa story is being honed as a (how to screw things up) case study on business management training courses even as we talk about this.

16 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I suspect the Randy Lerner/Aston Villa story is being honed as a (how to screw things up) case study on business management training courses even as we talk about this.

To be honest, I think what he did, and more importantly didn't do is pretty straightforward.  There are an awful lot of well meaning people who through lack of expertise or poor judgement and an unwillingness to listen to or employ wise people end up losing large amounts of money and screwing up in business.

As far as Dr T goes, I hope that he doesn't repeat similar failings.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

To be honest, I think what he did, and more importantly didn't do is pretty straightforward.  There are an awful lot of well meaning people who through lack of expertise or poor judgement and an unwillingness to listen to or employ wise people end up losing large amounts of money and screwing up in business.

As far as Dr T goes, I hope that he doesn't repeat similar failings.

I hope Dr T brings us success, whether he makes money or not doing so is not something I massively give a shit about to be honest. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I hope Dr T brings us success, whether he makes money or not doing so is not something I massively give a shit about to be honest. 

Success brings rewards and failure brings losses.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not always, Ambramovic has probably not made much, if anything, from his 'investment' in Chelsea.

True, but you are limiting "rewards" to money only.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not always, Ambramovic has probably not made much, if anything, from his 'investment' in Chelsea.

No, you're right he hasn't. He's about half a billion down, probably. Wonder how much he could sell Chelsea for though? And as krisagg75 says, he's got other benefits from his ownership. Same with the Man City owner, but as a general rule successful clubs make money and failing ones lose money.

To be clear, I'm not averse to Xia making money, I just don't care either way. 

Well, I suppose I hope he doesn't end up homeless or anything, that would suck, but within reasonable parameters I really don't care about his wealth, except in as much as it affects Villa.

• Like 3

Â