Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 hour ago, jim said:

Have absolutely no time for Stan.  Its unfortunate he didn't put as much effort into turning up for Villa when we we forked out the huge fee for him at the time.  

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Have absolutely no time for Stan.  Its unfortunate he didn't put as much effort into turning up for Villa when we we forked out the huge fee for him at the time.  

A mixture of booze, drugs and clinical depression will do that to you. Not sure what his playing career has to do with his opinions as a villa fan/radio presenter?

I don’t pay any attention to his opinions as I think he sensationalises everything all the time and mostly for his own gain but I won’t slander him based on his past.

24 minutes ago, vreitti said:

https://heartoftheholte.online/2018/06/07/a-glimmer-of-hope-my-guide-to-saving-avfc/

Don't know if this has already been posted, but thought it was a good read, and sheds some light on the amount of investment Tony actually has pumped into the club.

The one thing in Tony's favour is that surely no matter who owned the club, missing out on promotion in the first two seasons would financially cripple a club of our size.  The biggest failure has been on the pitch really.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The one thing in Tony's favour is that surely no matter who owned the club, missing out on promotion in the first two seasons would financially cripple a club of our size.  The biggest failure has been on the pitch really.  

Not entirely true, if this was going to be the result of not gaining promotion another way should have been followed.

It's a bit like re-mortaging your house for a day at the races as you've been given a decent tip. You still have 1 in 24 chance of that horse coming in and your life not being in financial ruin... you wouldn't do it.

Boy can they pick us.

Can't fathom how people with zero knowledge about football (business part nor the game) can be willing or interested in buying and owning a football team.

In Xia's case I gather it had partly to do with development in Birmingham?.

But still, it is wildly naive.

Just now, Zatman said:

He had the nerve to say Wolves were dodgy

Let's be fair to him.  Currently the facts are he has been bank rolling the club for millions per month, that's not being dodgy, just bad business sense. 

• Like 1

I think ultimately, we need to become fan owned. 

I know it would be incredibly difficult to do, but how many times do we (and other clubs) have to see some well-intentioned business man come, take the reigns and the first time they don't achieve what they require, the club takes a sharp down-turn in on the pitch/off the pitch fortunes - before we say "enough is enough". 

The fit and proper persons test only works for the first 2 seasons, after that, owners get cold feet because they aren't seeing the results they expect from their input.  We know football clubs haemorrhage money, I don't understand why it always seems so much of a surprise when it keeps happening.  And with Villa's luck, it's always 1 step forwards, 2 steps back. 

Not only are we not in the Prem (for the foreseeable?), but we're losing our best prospect, there is huge uncertainty, and due to that - we'll see our squad broken up and we'll be even further behind. 

I don't care if fan-ownership see's us in the "busy bee's under 6 league", we need the stability to ensure things like this do not happen again, and again, and again. 

I don't want a sugar daddy. I want Villa to be stable, with glory at the end, or not. 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

There are quite a few assumptions in that article but I do agree with the rough estimation of investment Xia has put in over the last 2 years (I think the actual net spending is slightly lower than that but not far off).

From many reports I have read, the core of all this is that Xia's business in China has been doing very badly since 2017, losing hundreds of millions of CNY. So he may not have the ability to continue the cash investment now without borrowing.

Worth noting, China stock market commission released 4 announcements on 5/June (the day when this saga emerged, interestingly on the same day Xia was having an executive boarding meeting near Shanghai) in related to Xia's company: (use google translate if you want: http://data.eastmoney.com/notices/stock/000662.html)

Most information is boring but one message is: the board approved a maximum of (approx.) 50m GBP loan from the banks over the next two years to be used for his 'satellite-company' for 'smart-city business'. 

If this is related to AVFC (quite possibly IMO, but we don't know yet), then this is probably what he will have to save his assets here. If he starts to make perfect decisions from now on, then 50m might be enough. But that is a big IF.

Cheers @Deisler123 - in all the fog I think it's pretty clear what you are saying here. Just got to get the right CEO next to make savings and spend that £50 mill wisely.

Just now, Jareth said:

Cheers @Deisler123 - in all the fog I think it's pretty clear what you are saying here. Just got to get the right CEO next to make savings and spend that £50 mill wisely.

Kyle walker?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I don't think CEO is the only problem here. Xia needs to take the blame too. It does not take my grandma more than 1 second to realise a company will not survive for too long if you pay employees rocket high salaries and make net loss every single month. And that is precisely what AVFC is doing right now. They gambled, and they lost. 

Next step is key - can we have a CEO (clearly Wyness will not become CEO anymore under Xia) who is able to slash the wage bill by 1-1.5 million per month (we have almost achieved half of that now) and make another 0.5 million saving from somewhere else. This will reduce the net monthly loss to a manageable position, with the help of transfer fee income (which must be in the region of 15m-20m to save us).

Edited by Deisler123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deisler123 said:

I don't think CEO is the only problem here. Xia needs to take the blame too. It does not take my grandma more than 1 second to realise a company will not survive for too long if you pay employees rocket high salaries and make net loss every single month. And that is precisely what AVFC is doing right now.

Next step is key - can we have a CEO (clearly Wyness will not become CEO anymore under Xia) who is able to slash the wage bill by 1-1.5 million per month (we have almost achieved half of that now) and make another 0.5 million saving from somewhere else. This will reduce the net monthly loss to a manageable position, with the help of transfer fee income (which must be in the region of 15m-20m to save us).

Simple, the new CEO should be your grandmother!

• Haha 4

For what its worth i dont think we are in as bad a place as some may lead us to believe. 

Yes alot of things are going to change regards having to play promote youth (which i always believed we should have been doing).  We will probably be in the bottom 3rd of the table for a year or two when we turn the ship around to be self sustaining.  In the long term it will stand to us.  No more of these short sighted purchases such as Jedinak and Whelan.

I also think Keith Wyness has going to have alot of talking to do.  I suspect he was up to no good.

12 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

I don't think CEO is the only problem here. Xia needs to take the blame too. It does not take my grandma more than 1 second to realise a company will not survive for too long if you pay employees rocket high salaries and make net loss every single month. And that is precisely what AVFC is doing right now. They gambled, and they lost. 

This makes it sound quite doable to be fair. 

I think that the Tony realises that selling is the best option but personal pride ( and national perception of his business image/acumen) are preventing him from cutting his losses. Deisler123 has provided some great info but I still feel the ONLY viable option is for a change of ownership.

• Like 1

There’s an article on Newsnow in which Professor Simon Chadwick talks about how it’s pretty much an excuse that Xia can’t get money out of China. 

However, expert Simon Chadwick believes Dr Xia CAN get cash across - because he is not that big a spender.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-xia-aston-villa-chinese-14749006

It‘s appears that he’s simply running out of money fast and his businesses at home are also struggling. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, eholm said:

I think that the Tony realises that selling is the best option but personal pride ( and national perception of his business image/acumen) are preventing him from cutting his losses. Deisler123 has provided some great info but I still feel the ONLY viable option is for a change of ownership.

Change of ownership could be good, but equally it could be bad. Now the club is a black hole sucking in tens of millions of pounds worth money every year. So even Xia sells the club for 1 pound, I don't think a lot of sensible businessmen would take that.

From Tony's point of view, selling Villa may get 10m-20m back to his pocket (optimistically), but that leads to almost 100m+ net loss in two years for his own wealth. If we are only talking about business decisions, then a sensible one for Xia now is to borrow 40-60m to keep the club running for the next two years to achieve a break-even. From evidence I am seeing now, that is precisely what he is doing now.

To me, if he sells club for a super cheap price (which is likely considering the debt we have), then that is a stupid decision. 

5 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

There’s an article on Newsnow in which Professor Simon Chadwick talks about how it’s pretty much an excuse that Xia can’t get money out of China. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-xia-aston-villa-chinese-14749006

It‘s appears that he’s simply running out of money fast and his businesses at home are also struggling. 

He also offsets that opinion by saying that there is often no rhyme or reason for cash restrictions imposed by the Chinese government. To be balanced.

Â