Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Xia is a fraud of a man IMO.

Gambled everything on getting promoted in two years and failed big time.

That is a distinct possibility and in many ways he is not much different to Lerner. There are always two major points of interest for people looking to buy these clubs. The first is the notion that TV rights may change and or keep accelerating madly. Secondly, in villa's case, there is always interest in the club's landholding and the idea of expanding a leisure operation towards the A38M — Xia was/is certainly interested in this as were previous consortia who looked at buy-in the Villa. Realistically, there are no 'good owners' out there but people looking for business opportunities. Xia gambled in the same way Bruce gambled with older and experienced players. If Xia can add stability then fair enough but it is a long haul back for us now and the club has to build for the future and accept this is a medium term project.

Edited by AndyHowell

1 hour ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Saw in the comment section in today’s Financial Times that Xia has sold his stakes in Recon Group and is basically now a wealthy individual as opposed to acting through a corporation. This explains the difficulties he is having getting money out of China as an individual.

Unless he wants to do some time in a chinese jail then his money is stuck in China, which is what I'm sure he knew would happen. That means that he doesn't have to spend anymore money on Villa and can just sell us off. It's clear he was just gambling with the club and now that his gamble failed he's protecting his assets. If we got promoted he would have just pocketed the TV money and tried to sell us off.

• Like 1

I thought he had close connections with some individuals in the Chinese government, of their family members. Can he not just have a quiet word in their ear to let him take his £180m to England? :D

5 minutes ago, AndyHowell said:

That is a distinct possibility and in many ways he is not much different to Lerner. There are always two major points of interest for people looking to buy these clubs. The first is the notion that TV rights may change and or keep accelerating madly. Secondly, in villa's case, there is always interest in the club's landholding and the idea of expanding a leisure operation towards the A38M — Xia was/is certainly interested in this as were previous consortia who looked at buy-in the Villa.

I think the difference was Lerner definitely had money. - He got bored made half cocked decisions  - Xia I could never see where the funding was coming from - I wouldn't be surprised if he has no real wealth. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I thought he had close connections with some individuals in the Chinese government, of their family members. Can he not just have a quiet word in their ear to let him take his £180m to England? :D

To be fair he always denied the chinese govt were involved.

Sadly some refused to believe this and kept trotting out that line. 

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Didn't he claim to be a billionaire? Looks like £180m and a football club worth ~£75m is all he has. 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

To be fair he always denied the chinese govt were involved.

Sadly some refused to believe this and kept trotting out that line. 

I'm not saying the Chinese government are involved. But I'm sure I read that he previously worked closely, in some capacity in one of his businesses, with a now member of the Chinese government, or close relative to them.

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Didn't he claim to be a billionaire? Looks like £180m and a football club worth ~£75m is all he has. 

No-one knows, so lets not jump to conclusions about how rich or poor he may be. I was just talking about £180m potentially being available to move across to sort out our short-term issues and fund the club for a few years. I'm sure he has much more than £180m, but it's probably the value of his assets, in the form of companies and shares.

2 hours ago, KHV said:

Xia is a fraud of a man IMO.

Gambled everything on getting promoted in two years and failed big time.

This is basically it. We all knew this was the strategy, some of us consistently pointed out that failure to gain promotion this season would ruin us as a football club. This is why we should have sacked Bruce when it was clear he wasn't going to deliver.

Xia has come in and made horrific decisions from top to bottom. Horrific strategy, horrific board level appointments and horrific managerial appointments. And now it's clear that for all practical purposes our side, the guy is completely illiquid. What an utter disaster for an owner he has been. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think the difference was Lerner definitely had money. - He got bored made half cocked decisions  - Xia I could never see where the funding was coming from - I wouldn't be surprised if he has no real wealth. 

This is what I think. Very little has ever been known about xia or recon, and he got away with this with a lot of fans because he wasnt randy lerner. The  'anything but randy lerner' mindset gave him a very long honeymoon period.

• Like 3

Now starting to think if we had been promoted it might have only delayed the inevitable and we might eventually have been in an even bigger hole.

Probably better that everything is shaken to it's core now so we can start from scratch.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's clear he was just gambling with the club and now that his gamble failed he's protecting his assets. If we got promoted he would have just pocketed the TV money and tried to sell us off.

It's not clear at all, you're just making assumptions based on the (very) little we actually know. Look we're all worried, but Xia deserves the benefit of the doubt until we know for certain what his intentions were (IMHO).

It's always been tough supporting the Villa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Unless he wants to do some time in a chinese jail

I believe it’s very nice at this time of year Tony. Now cough up you owe us. 

It would seem like his ambitions are greater than his means.

I too, could see us climbing out of our rut, and  joining European competition.

With the right guidance this club certainly has the potential for it. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

I actually thought we had a winner in Tony Xia. His enthusiasm whilst over zealous and borderline unrealistic was the kind belonging to someone who may take the time to get to know the club, it's people, problems and help build a new atmosphere and culture of success. I think I mistook his outspoken confidence as a sign of genuine competency with the situation at hand.

Now it's looking like Di Matteo was Tony's idea for Champions League success

37 minutes ago, vreitti said:

It's not clear at all, you're just making assumptions based on the (very) little we actually know. Look we're all worried, but Xia deserves the benefit of the doubt until we know for certain what his intentions were (IMHO).

It's always been tough supporting the Villa.

How can you give the benefit of the doubt to a man who has consistently lied to us. 

• Confused 3

Â