Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

No interpretation required there. A clear message.

So is he saying it is, or isn't the worst performing bit of Recon?  I really can't tell.  It's expressed ambiguously, and having to guess if he's interpreted the nuance of a foreign language correctly doesn't help.

Of course, having our club's performance measured on the metric of a comparison with the financial returns of some random collection of overseas businesses is not where we expected to end up, a few short years ago...

18 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Probably but the cup has turned into a joke.  We are better out of it and let us concentrate on getting promoted. Thats all that matters to me and what Dr T should concern himself with.

It's quite sad that the cup has turned into a joke, even as a swede i always thought it was something magic about the FA cup.

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere and apologies if it has but can we can combine it with Fry's grovelling apology in the Birmingham Mail?

'As usual I got the wrong end of the stick' Barry Fry's grovelling apology to Aston Villa owner Tony Xia

Fry has changed his tune - and said sorry to the AVFC chief

Former Birmingham City boss Barry Fry has issued a grovelling apology to Tony Xia after accusing Aston Villa's owner of lacking ambition.

"As usual I got the wrong end of the stick" said Fry, who is Peterborough United's director of football.

Ahead of Posh's 3-1 FA Cup victory over Villa at Villa Park on Saturday afternoon he questioned Xia's ambition.

But Fry has today given an interview to the Peterborough website saying sorry for his misguided comments.

It took Villa boss Steve Bruce to set him straight before the League One club's shock third round win.

"First and foremost I must apologise to Tony Xia, the owner of Aston Villa Football Club for questioning his ambition last week without knowing the full facts," said Fry.

"Before the game on Saturday, I spent 30 minutes in the company of Steve Bruce who explained that his owner had put in £80 million in last two years at Villa.

"As usual, I got the wrong end of the stick and I apologise to Mr Xia.

"I had read an article a few weeks ago where Steve Bruce was quoted as saying he wouldn’t have any funds in the transfer window and that he had to beg, steal and borrow from his mates in the Premier League.

"Steve explained that was down to the Financial Fair Play rules, which we all have to abide by.

"I wrongly took that as the Villa owner and board were not backing Steve.

"Anybody that puts £80 million into a football club and who signs the best captain in the land in John Terry, has certainly got the ambition followed by his passion and commitment. I should have got my facts right and I am sorry."

Fry, who managed Villa's rivals Blues in the mid-1990s, also paid tribute to the Villa Park faithful.

"I thank the Aston Villa supporters too for their sportsmanship in clapping our players off the pitch and the wonderful comments we received after the game.

"Now, I urge all of the Villa fans to stay united and get behind Steve and the players and I am sure you will reach your goal of Premier League football.

"It was a marvellous occasion for us and it was great to meet my old mate Doug Ellis in the boardroom. He is 94 years-old now but he was still there supporting his beloved Villa.

"It was also great to catch up with Brian Little and I wish Mr Xia, Steve and his team, all the best in their attempt to return to the Premier League."

Fry also had words of praise for Posh boss Grant McCann and his players for their performance at Villa Park.

"In conclusion, I would like to thank our manager Grant McCann, who went to Villa Park, as I suggested he would, and played attacking football and he should be very proud of each and every one of his players," he said.

"I would also like to thank the magnificent Posh fans, nearly 5,000 of them, who cheered the team on from start to finish – they certainly responded and did you all proud."

One powerful cup of tea..

21 minutes ago, peterms said:

So is he saying it is, or isn't the worst performing bit of Recon?  I really can't tell.  It's expressed ambiguously, and having to guess if he's interpreted the nuance of a foreign language correctly doesn't help.

Of course, having our club's performance measured on the metric of a comparison with the financial returns of some random collection of overseas businesses is not where we expected to end up, a few short years ago...

Having a master degree in Xiaology, I interpret it as he is saying that it is the worst performing part of Recon. The message is that we must work harder and that he is not satisfied. It wouldn't make sense for him to end the tweet by saying that other parts of Recon are doing worse.

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Still, what I get from the Dr's Tweet that he is perhaps referring to 'US' being the part of Recon that is behind we ars not achieving anywhere what we should be and going out the FA Cup has pissed him off perhaps?

I think that is exactly it.

I don't think Xia likes talking about us publicly as a part of the RECON portfolio that needs to pull its weight, but I also think he's tired of playing off that everything is okay every time we succumb to expectation.

Now does this mean Xia is running out of patience? I don't think so, I just think he's making it very apparent that Villa should be in a far better position given prior investments.

I am also sure he has said the same to Bruce albeit in a meeting and was likely a lot more upfront, stern and clear about his meaning. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Having a master degree in Xiaology, I interpret it as he is saying that it is the worst performing part of Recon. The message is that we must work harder and that he is not satisfied. It wouldn't make sense for him to end the tweet by saying that other parts of Recon are doing worse.

Sounds plausible.

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I think that is exactly it.

I don't think Xia likes talking about us publicly as a part of the RECON portfolio that needs to pull its weight, but I also think he's tired of playing off that everything is okay every time we succumb to expectation.

Now does this mean Xia is running out of patience? I don't think so, I just think he's making it very apparent that Villa should be in a far better position given prior investments.

I am also sure he has said the same to Bruce albeit in a meeting and was likely a lot more upfront, stern and clear about his meaning. 

If that be the case then I agree we are not matching his arriving ambition when he got here.

Stevie needs a win Saturday... for sure.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, peterms said:

I didn't realize how good this part of your post was at first, it's hilarious actually! So you mean that our performance can't be measured with that glutamate goo Recon is selling? :D:D

27 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I didn't realize how good this part of your post was at first, it's hilarious actually! So you mean that our performance can't be measured with that glutamate goo Recon is selling? :D:D

I have an image of Wor Steve attending a  monthly corporate review, having lots of keen young corporate types stand up and talk about market share, market penetration and product development, and Steve discussing the hysteria of the customers, to the evident bafflement of all.

Though why our club should be part of the portfolio of some shadowy corporate figure in the first place, is a question with no sensible answer.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, peterms said:

I don't think he is comparing his various ventures.

What he is saying is that it is the most disappointing of his ventures.

To me that is a 'must do better' comment, probably aimed at both levels of management at the club. I think Wyness, not just Bruce, are being given a warning shot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't think he is comparing his various ventures.

What he is saying is that it is the most disappointing of his ventures.

To me that is a 'must do better' comment, probably aimed at both levels of management at the club. I think Wyness, not just Bruce, are being given a warning shot.

It makes you wonder if 'harder' questions are needing asked?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Dr Xia's comments do seem to be aimed at the board as well as Bruce and his team.

The FA Cup might not mean much to the average fan nowadays but if you watch it back in China and dream of being the owner of the team that lifts the cup one day, I suppose it could really piss you off to see your team so easily surrender your chance of fulfilling that dream.

Seems possible that our owner has more ambition than some others associated with the club.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Dr Xia's comments do seem to be aimed at the board as well as Bruce and his team.

The FA Cup might not mean much to the average fan nowadays but if you watch it back in China and dream of being the owner of the team that lifts the cup one day, I suppose it could really piss you off to see your team so easily surrender your chance of fulfilling that dream.

Seems possible that our owner has more ambition than some others associated with the club.

Correct.

Especially the amount money also outlayed too. 

He does not strike me as someone that would go for someone like Dean Smith as manager either really.

I would imagine with going along with his amibition that his sights are a lot lot higher.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would imagine with going along with his ambition that his sights are a lot lot higher.

Diego Simeone? Thomas Tuchel? 

It doesn't really matter what Dr. X's ambitions are, someone like Dean Smith or Gary Rowett is as good as we can do until we get into the premier league.

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Diego Simeone? Thomas Tuchel? 

It doesn't really matter what Dr. X's ambitions are, someone like Dean Smith or Gary Rowett is as good as we can do until we get into the premier league.

The next manager we appoint should able to also help us kick on once we are promoted.

If the scenario where to arise where we happen to change our manager this season it has to be a long term appointment and not a mediocre esq for the sake of getting us out this league and then firing again come May?.. more expensive payoffs incurred too.

Â