Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

But seriously, what did we actually have?

I understood we employed scouts both here and abroad, in about the proportion you would expect of a Premiership club.  Is that not the case?

Ian Atkins is over scouting, worked with Round at Everton and Bruce at Sunderland. Has done nothing to inspire confidence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterms said:

I've seen this comment a few times just lately.

I thought we had one of the better training facilities, a developed scouting network, an academy that was good enough to win competitions.

What exactly is the utter lack of infrastructure that leaves us struggling to compete with the likes of Cardiff, Bristol City,  Middlesbrough and others?

We didn’t have any people with football knowledge above first team manager. There were loads of positions that well run clubs have that we didn’t. We had no scouts at under 10 level and our European scout lived in Australia. The physical infrastructure was good, BMH and Villa Park etc, but generally Lerner had given his neck. 

So Xia, knowing little about football, did what he thought was the right thing and got an experienced CEO in to sort everything out. To be fair to him, that was probably not a bad idea. What we need now is the next phase. There are clubs moving forward very differently than the way things were done in the past. Southampton are a pretty good example. Our CEO and our manager are past their sell by date  

I’m not having a dig at Xia or particularly praising him up, but I think what he does next is important. The reason we are struggling to compete with the teams you list above is Steve Bruce. We need to replace him and not with another Dinosaur. 

• Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The only positive thing in the summer is that the wage bill should come down with the likes of Gabby, Terry, Snodgrass and Hutton all likely to be on big money. Assuming that is around £180-200k a week that should be enough to build a competitive championship 1st 11 on if there were some clever free transfers/small money signings made. We have to wait another 18 months to get rid of Richards, Elphick, Jedinak and Whelan.

That is very depressing

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The only positive thing in the summer is that the wage bill should come down with the likes of Gabby, Terry, Snodgrass and Hutton all likely to be on big money. Assuming that is around £180-200k a week that should be enough to build a competitive championship 1st 11 on if there were some clever free transfers/small money signings made. We have to wait another 18 months to get rid of Richards, Elphick, Jedinak and Whelan.

Agree with the point about the wages coming down, and that is good...however, I don’t think we’ll be able to reinvest the c£200k per week. Because of the FFP tests and the losses we will have accumulated by then, our expenditure will need to be less next year, not the same. 

Demonstrates the need, even more, for some genuinely good management (of the club and team), to get the best out of the playing resources we will have.  

And you’re right, still sadly stuck with some high earners with little / no resale value.  Big mess, again 

5 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Ian Atkins is over scouting, worked with Round at Everton and Bruce at Sunderland. Has done nothing to inspire confidence.

Old pals act running through the  club run by wyness and his Everton cronies to Bruce and his backroom team of cack

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

We didn’t have any people with football knowledge above first team manager. There were loads of positions that well run clubs have that we didn’t. We had no scouts at under 10 level and our European scout lived in Australia. The physical infrastructure was good, BMH and Villa Park etc, but generally Lerner had given his neck. 

So Xia, knowing little about football, did what he thought was the right thing and got an experienced CEO in to sort everything out. To be fair to him, that was probably not a bad idea. What we need now is the next phase. There are clubs moving forward very differently than the way things were done in the past. Southampton are a pretty good example. Our CEO and our manager are past their sell by date  

I’m not having a dig at Xia or particularly praising him up, but I think what he does next is important. The reason we are struggling to compete with the teams you list above is Steve Bruce. We need to replace him and not with another Dinosaur. 

Wyness had been out of football for years before xia appointed him - take a look at Everton forums and you will see wyness was as popular at Goodison as kenny dalglish is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Suprised protests have not been suggested yet.

Other teams do something about being shit, it appears most of our fans are that used to it now that it appears they enjoy it and it has become the 'Villa way'.

COMPLETE F**K!NG JOKE OF A CLUB!!

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Suprised protests have not been suggested yet.

Other teams do something about being shit, it appears most of our fans are that used to it now that it appears they enjoy it and it has become the 'Villa way'.

COMPLETE F**K!NG JOKE OF A CLUB!!

I would imagine something will be done if we dont win boro or bristol city game

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would imagine something will be done if we dont win boro or bristol city game

We have been hearing this same Bruce saving excuse for over a year.

It needs done NOW!!!

Why wait till we get **** by Boro to go round and round again, which is what will happen!

- Just sack this useless geordie clearing in the woods!

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

We have been hearing this same Bruce saving excuse for over a year.

It needs done NOW!!!

Yes even now i am starting to agree bruce positioning needs to be looked at. The recent results are very very poor. Bristol city for example have had injuries yet are getting wins.

Im fed up the way we imploded at sheff united unforgiveable

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I believe our scouting network was some kid with a copy of football manager tbf.

And now it’s just somebody who looks at the player stats column for Championship players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last night we looked like a non league football team.

What a complete joke we have become!

In all my 36 years of being a Villa fan this has got to have been the worst ever performance and our lowest ebb of a football club.

The clueless idiot running this club needs to do something and quick.. Instead of worrying about how he will Sim City Birmingham instead.

It appears no one above the players level has a **** clue about football at this club anymore. 

Ladys and gentleman...  It appears we're well and truelly f**ked!

Edited by AvfcRigo82

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

A chorus of “You don’t know what your doing” last night. If the away boys turn the writing’s on the wall. Whether Xia heard it or Bruce/Wyness care, is another matter. 

Now we just need the whole of Villa Park to sing along now too!..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

Old pals act running through the  club run by wyness and his Everton cronies to Bruce and his backroom team of cack

All with no particular Villa connections. 

I'm not saying we need all Villa men in charge but a few behind the scenes that have the club at heart would be nice. 

When Bruce gets sacked it will be interesting to see whether Xia goes for someone already in a job or someone who is available. His first two appointments have been available and not worked.

Actually, who was the last manager we actually took from another club? Bruce, Di Matteo, Garde, Sherwood were all available and each have been failures. Maybe the fact they were out of work was a sign of their quality? 

Am I right in thinking Lambert was our last manager that we took from another club? Looking back at his time here, although he seemed like a failure at the time he was with us, you could argue he was actually a success because we really probably should have been relegated during his time at the club after the funding was well and truly pulled on him. Having to buy the likes of Bowery and Stevens from out of nowhere just to get a big enough squad really left him out to dry. So, you could argue he was a success in that he sustained our Premier League survival. 

Dr Xia, next time can we make sure we get someone in to manage us that is not a dinosaur or unwanted. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, villarocker said:

When Bruce gets sacked it will be interesting to see whether Xia goes for someone already in a job or someone who is available. His first two appointments have been available and not worked.

Actually, who was the last manager we actually took from another club? Bruce, Di Matteo, Garde, Sherwood were all available and each have been failures. Maybe the fact they were out of work was a sign of their quality? 

Am I right in thinking Lambert was our last manager that we took from another club? Looking back at his time here, although he seemed like a failure at the time he was with us, you could argue he was actually a success because we really probably should have been relegated during his time at the club after the funding was well and truly pulled on him. Having to buy the likes of Bowery and Stevens from out of nowhere just to get a big enough squad really left him out to dry. So, you could argue he was a success in that he sustained our Premier League survival. 

Dr Xia, next time can we make sure we get someone in to manage us that is not a dinosaur or unwanted. 

I guess depends on how much the new man and his backroom team would cost as we would still have to pay off Bruce and his cronies - with ffp being so tight it may take what little cash we have left to spend - worth it though to get rid of Bruce .

20 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Great post, personally think Lambert and Garde in particular were both hung out to dry and the others were not in work for a reason.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

With the exception of Richards, who hasn't looked like a footballer for more than 5 minutes in the time he's been here, the other three may well be perfectly fine under a different manager. In the same way that people wanted us to sell Clark and Baker when we got relegated, these players are the type that have been good in the past, and Elphick, Jedinak and Whelan could all still play a part in getting us promoted, if we had a manager that actually set the team up to play football and to the strengths of the players we have at our disposal.

If we do somehow sell Elphick, Jedinak and Whelan, then all we're going to be doing is looking for a few 'experienced heads' to put in the team, because like it or lump it, we do need a bit of leadership in the squad, even if they're not looking much like leaders right now under Bruce.

• Like 1

Â