Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

So, I don't recall any other club buyout ever being subjected to this level of scrutiny from the press.

Why are we so deserving? Is it because finally something good is coming our way and they won't be able to ridicule us for much longer?

Words removed the lot of them!

Proper seems certain people in the game don't like us. lol. It's a Kalinic all over isn't it?

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

So, I don't recall any other club buyout ever being subjected to this level of scrutiny from the press.

Why are we so deserving? Is it because finally something good is coming our way and they won't be able to ridicule us for much longer?

Words removed the lot of them!

Clickbait, it's pretty quiet on the footballing front at the moment I think, beside the LVG/Mourinho switch so they have to fill up the columns somehow. I have very grim view of the so-called "journalists", especially in the british media, and it's easy to beat someone who's already down.

From what I've gathered, there's also a LOT of regional politics between London/Manchester/Liverpool vs. rest of the England, so that probably plays the part in this too.

I'm not certain about this, but since Tony Xia has made quite a big deal about knowing the Chinese President and suggested that he hopes one day he will even make a visit to the club, if having prompted those links in the press here, he then was found out to be a fraudster and not to have the funding in place for the purchase, then surely that could prove to be a very bad career move given how things are done in China.

I'm not certain that crossing the president of China would be a good move for anyone.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I would be disappointed if journalists weren't digging into this.

End of the season, Villa have a disastrous campaign, and note they're being sold to a Chinese buyer, which is unusual, who nobody knows anything about, which immediately should have inquiring minds want to get digging.

There's nothing special about us that's making journalists want to look deeper in this. It's the intrigue of what of actually happening.

An investigative journalist with the Daily Mail did "dig" and came out with the answers to the questions that were today, again, asked in the Telegraph. 

I've no problem with digging. The click bait sensationalism is certainly not to the benefit of Aston Villa Football Club however. In fact it is detrimental to our image moving forward. 

You raised an interesting point though. Is Chinese ownership in football abroad "unusual". Perhaps our new learned friend can answer that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

An investigative journalist with the Daily Mail did "dig" and came out with the answers to the questions that were today, again, asked in the Telegraph. 

I've no problem with digging. The click bait sensationalism is certainly not to the benefit of Aston Villa Football Club however. In fact it is detrimental to our image moving forward. 

You raised an interesting point though. Is Chinese ownership in football abroad "unusual". Perhaps our new learned friend can answer that. 

It's still not some conspiracy against Villa 'because they don't like us'. It's a story that they can fill pages with. Doesn't matter that the questions were answered elsewhere a day before, they will still run the story.

As for Chinese investment... I'm thinking more narrow than just 'abroad'. UK Chinese investment isn't a big deal, and we're the first even vaguely high profile name that has had that investment seemingly, so the story is interesting.

Edited by Chindie

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's still not some conspiracy against Villa 'because they don't like us'. It's a story that they can fill pages with. Doesn't matter that the questions were answered elsewhere a day before, they will still run the story.

As for Chinese investment... I'm thinking more narrow than just 'abroad'. UK Chinese investment isn't a big deal, and we're the first even vaguely high profile name that has had that investment seemingly, so the story is interesting.

Cool. I don't think there is a conspiracy by the way and I appreciate they will run the story regardless. I do think it's potentially damaging to our reputation if they persist without doing the most basic research before running these stories. 

At the same time I hope actual real life journalists continue to ask the questions we want the answers to. Dr T doesn't seem to mind answering them. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I would be disappointed if journalists weren't digging into this.

End of the season, Villa have a disastrous campaign, and note they're being sold to a Chinese buyer, which is unusual, who nobody knows anything about, which immediately should have inquiring minds want to get digging.

There's nothing special about us that's making journalists want to look deeper in this. It's the intrigue of what of actually happening.

This.

To further your point, it is also the silly season with a lull before the Euros. Aside from lying about transfers, LVG/Mourinho, they've actually got very little to go on at the moment. Digging is good, it's better we find turds now than later but I do of course hope and expect this to be a pretty standard take over. That it is Chinese I think (no pun intended) adds some spice to things. More of the unknown and very easy to be written about in a certain fashion. The Daily Heil and other bird cage lining rags won't actually come up with much rather than the salacious.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Cool. I don't think there is a conspiracy by the way and I appreciate they will run the story regardless. I do think it's potentially damaging to our reputation if they persist without doing the most basic research before running these stories. 

At the same time I hope actual real life journalists continue to ask the questions we want the answers to. Dr T doesn't seem to mind answering them. 

You've mentioned things being 'damaging to our reputation' or variants thereof a couple of times now.

Obviously it isn't the media's job to protect our reputation.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Then I don't know why you're mentioning it? 

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's coming across like you do think it's something they should consider.

Because it's unnecessary when the questions posed have already been dealt with, it's damaging to our reputation (IMO) and our reputation is important to me?

I didn't say there was anything I could do about it nor do I think it is that our reputation is their responsibility.

I'm expressing an opinion. I don't really understand what you're getting at?

I don't think it's of any consequence to our reputation. If it's true, then the truth would be the damaging thing. If it's not true then it will add to the long list of stuff the media have been wrong about and only damage the paper's reputation.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

What I am slightly concerned is that Hollis may think Dr Tony is what he says he is but in a country riddled with corruption and little transparency it could be fairly easy to fool someone who is out of town.

How easy could it really be to pull off a con, this high profile in 2016 though? lol

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

What I am slightly concerned is that Hollis may think Dr Tony is what he says he is but in a country riddled with corruption and little transparency it could be fairly easy to fool someone who is out of town.

I think the longer the lack of knowledge continues the more dodgy it seems. Whether it is Villa fan cynicism or media negativity that is causing that opinion I dont know. 

Â