Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

Xia reminding me of Tony Fernandes so far...who regularly tries to cheer lead on twitter to mask the mediocre results on the pitch.

I don't mind the odd message here and there but I think the abusive stuff about ex players isn't going to end well so happy he seems to have curtailed things for now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Papillon said:

That being said, Donald Trump has a 50% chance of becoming the most important person in the world - so I should probably rest my case.

And you know what, although he may spout alot of crap, his supporters love him because he doesn't mince words and is not PC! Sorry but I simply cannot bring myself to being pissed off about XIA being passionate about the club and losing his cool sometimes. He owns the club, as was discussed round and round in circles yesterday, it is mostly us who are doing backfllips about this tweet crap. I am almost certain at worst outsiders looking in will find it amusing. 

I will also once again point out that this is the sports industry, not a law firm or house of parliament, his twitter rants do nothing to impair his running of the club or intentions. Much worse goes on in other countries and there are no meltdowns.

Wyness is the CEO, Xia is the custodian. 

Alot of the things he says, most of us are actually thinking! 

AVFC have been to soft and PC almost to a fault for too long!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, useless said:

It's strange to me how people can be embarrassed by someone else being abusive towards people, but not embarrassed by themselves doing exactly the same thing.

Because most people don't own Aston Villa football club? I'm not seeing many being that abusive either, I see people who are concerned. Though, I may have missed something.

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I keep seeing this question "Would you rather have an owner who is remote and doesn't communicate with the fans?" Nobody seems to answer it. So I will. 

Yes. Yes, that is exactly what I want. His job is to communicate with the manager and the board. Not the fans, not the players, not the press, not the social media circus. 

This is an entirely separate issue from the current level of transfer activity, BTW. 

Quite. I much prefer the Randy Lerner approach. There's something I never thought I'd say :lol: 

Just now, useless said:

People are abusive towards the players all the time on here, just think it's a bit rich for them to be lecturing Xia over a couple of tweets. Regardless of who owns the club.

Do you honestly not see how the the role of the person makes comments affects how they're perceived?

• Like 1

"It seldom ends well for people who puts themselves in front of the club, it usually goes better for the ones who appoints people and let them do their job."  What - like Lerner? (Sorry I know you said usually!! :-) )

I have to say that when Lerner took over I thought he was going to be the best owner ever.  So I'm definitely in the "once bitten, twice shy" camp when it comes to our new owner.  However, I'm far happier about him tweeting away about the club (with the odd cringe here and there over some of the comments - although as someone who has just moved to a new country and who has used words incorrectly to the amusement of the locals it is often difficult to understand some of the hidden meaning of certain phrases) whilst already making good on promises to extend the reach of the club in India (first of many I think).  I think it is unfair to judge him based on what other owners have done - he seems to be very much his own man and from a new generation of businessmen.  I need more time and more action before I make a judgement but I'd rather have a owner who excelled with action and made the odd verbal **** up - than an owner who excels verbally and ****s up with their actions - or even someone who does nothing on either front.  We're yet to see which of those categories Xia falls into...

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, useless said:

People are abusive towards the players all the time on here, just think it's a bit rich for them to be lecturing Xia over a couple of tweets. Regardless of who owns the club.

We do not own the club or are responsible for communications from it

Amazed people cant see the difference

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Quite. I much prefer the Randy Lerner approach. There's something I never thought I'd say :lol: 

He sat back in America, totally lost interest in the club, and eventually managed to relegate us.

Xia is enthusiastic and outspoken, and gets annoyed when he sees others insulting the club and breaking their word to the manager. And he is only saying what many of us are thinking anyway. I am just sorry he withdrew the tweets.

• Like 2

There's an obvious difference, but I'd feel like a Phoenix if I complained about Xia abusing players online after, I called Delph a snake or whatever (I didn't just an example).

As long as he does his best to provide for the club and achieve what he has set out to do, he can tweet dick pics for all I care.

Just now, useless said:

There's an obvious difference, but I'd feel like a Phoenix if I complained about Xia abusing players online after, I called Delph a snake or whatever (I didn't just an example).

Why a phoenix?  Am a missing something as I always thought that feeling like a phoenix would be a good thing...

If he insists on tweeting regularly, I offer him olde briny's 2 golden rules for Twitter:

1. NEVER delete a Tweet. You actually can't effectively delete a Tweet because someone will have taken a shot of it and it will spread all over social media like wildfire once people are alerted to the fact it has been withdrawn. Trying to delete a Tweet only makes things worse;

2. Don't Tweet in anger. If you're reacting to something/someone that has annoyed you, save a draft of what you want to say, leave it for a couple of hours and have another look at it when you've cooled down. Reckon that will lead to decision not to publish in 95% of cases.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

My concern with Xia is, if someone like Taylor came out and criticised him imagine what he would tweet back? 

Predicting/comparing his reactions to a Villa "legend"/ambassador to his reaction towards ungreatful, want away players who deceived them, AND Ian Holloway.

Are you seeing the discrepancy here?

Â