Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So just a fine then.  Would've been a drop in the ocean if they'd not got relegated.

A £40m fine. Given that Dr Tony had hinted at selling a company for £500m to fund Aston Villa  - and told us in the first window that we hadn't touched the parachute payments. I really don't think you can believe much he says . He is a another good businessman - but clueless when it comes to football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Rules have tightened since then - we are abiding by ffp and that’s it - do you really want xia to put the whole future of the club at stake by taking such a risk ? 

‘It’s not happening mate 

I would say his actions to date have put the whole future of the club at risk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

A £40m fine. Given that Dr Tony had hinted at selling a company for £500m to fund Aston Villa  - and told us in the first window that we hadn't touched the parachute payments. I really don't think you can believe much he says . He is a another good businessman - but clueless when it comes to football.

Hippo - do you think wyness is part of the problem too?

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I would say his actions to date have put the whole future of the club at risk.

I think his intentions were good - however he made huge mistakes in appointments - particularly Rdm 

15 hours ago, terrytini said:

Well I’m glad he agreed with those who thought it was a good time to speak. I don’t think that now he’s done it it would be fair for people to complain that it’s not what they want to hear !!

Its couched vaguely as one would expect but I think the key is he - correctly in my view - says the whole decade needs looking at.

Personally I take that to mean only one thing. A new Manager, a new set up, a new approach to systems, scouting, and player development. He has looked at Bournemouth, Southampton as was, Brentford, and other Clubs that have largely eschewed big money approaches, and decided Villa need to shake up. 

I agree. A full revamp is a sensible idea, we’ve been neither one thing or another for too long, and many hitherto ‘ smaller’ clubs have gone past us.

Should be fun, I’m looking forward to it.

Could be interesting. It does seem that if he was going to stick with Bruce he would have said so. It would have been the easiest thing to add and the omission can't be a coincidence. 

I'm not sure how I feel about it all. I like the idea of stability and think that Bruce has steered the club around through difficult times but I like the idea of us trying to play more entertaining football—I'm not sure how long it's been.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Hippo - do you think wyness is part of the problem too?

No - I think he is a ship steadier and a safe pair of hands. I think he might come into his own in the coming months \ years. I see him as a modern day Doug Ellis. I think he will get unpopular but thats the case for a lot of CEO 'S

Thats based on totally F all ! though.

I find his current silence a bit surprising if I am honest.

21 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Could be interesting. It does seem that if he was going to stick with Bruce he would have said so. It would have been the easiest thing to add and the omission can't be a coincidence. 

I'm not sure how I feel about it all. I like the idea of stability and think that Bruce has steered the club around through difficult times but I like the idea of us trying to play more entertaining football—I'm not sure how long it's been.

Probably awkward Legal territory as anything like that can be misconstrued and used against him if it went to Tribunal, a la O'Neill. This keeps his options open and wouldn't be surprised if Xia was just letting Bruce stew for a while as a sort of punishment. Fact remains that it would be expensive to get rid and Bruce explicitly mentioned in his post match that he wants to stay - anything other than that could be construed as a resignation and the LMA carefully advise Managers on what to say in those situations. 

Edited by Pimlico_Villa
typos

for me  it may take another year or 2 to get promotion after what Xia has said.  But now we are forced into using some of the under 23`s it won`t be a bad thing because i think we could have a few gems who need game time and better they play in this league now than 2 years time in prem

Edited by walesavfc

3 minutes ago, walesavfc said:

for me while it may take another year or 2 to get promotion but now we are forced into using some of the under 23`s it won`t be a bad thing because i think we could have a few gems who need game time and better they play in this league now than 2 years time in prem

Thats a massive assumption that the u23's are good enough. 

6 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

Agree with that. I don't think it is anywhere near clear cut. 

That’s why I think we need a better ‘coach’ than Steve Bruce.

Edited by thejoker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Yeh understand that, really hoping he sticks with us.

When you think about it though the team that was dismantled under Lerner was a lot better than the current team. Players like Young, Milner, Downing... then later Delph & Benteke, were irreplaceable and have never really been replaced. We now only have Grealish & Chester who are unlikely to be replaceable, most of our other players have their flaws (as do most players at this level). Cardiff have proved that you can find players that can perform in the Championship without spending a lot of money.

Possibly clutching at straws here but there is hope in there somewhere.

But Delph and Benteke were successful replacements for Young, Milner etc. so you can't say players are irreplaceable. If Chester and Grealish go they can be replaced - albeit it will be sore if Grealish goes as he's come through the ranks as one of our own. But the club will move on. I think we'll not let them go for nothing either. I hope that's where Wyness will be hard to deal with like Levy at Spurs.

13 minutes ago, walesavfc said:

thats the thing though unless we try them who knows, there are a few with potential though to kick on, If we don`t try them who is?

I know Bruce isn't flavour of the month at the moment - but he has been in the game well over 40 years - sees the players every day in training - and when they did get a run out against Peterborough in the cup they totally bombed. Reminds me when we all screamed at MON to use the u23's - He never did - when houllier was forced to we lost nearly every game.

Bruce give Keinan Davies a run out in earlier in the season - he obviously thought he was good enough - and for a short while he was. 

I don't think we are sitting on a talent goldmine in the u23's  

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

But Delph and Benteke were successful replacements for Young, Milner etc. so you can't say players are irreplaceable. 

Good players in their own right but I'm not sure about 'successful replacements'.  We went front finishing 6th to 17th.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

But Delph and Benteke were successful replacements for Young, Milner etc. so you can't say players are irreplaceable. If Chester and Grealish go they can be replaced - albeit it will be sore if Grealish goes as he's come through the ranks as one of our own. But the club will move on. I think we'll not let them go for nothing either. I hope that's where Wyness will be hard to deal with like Levy at Spurs.

I'd argue we never replaced Milner and that his sale was the beginning of the downfall of the club. Milner himself, when he moved into CM, was the replacement for Barry too. But when we lost Milner we lost so much energy in the middle of the park and about 11 assists and somewhere as many goals and we had nothing to compensate for that loss.

We also never replaced Benteke well and got relegated.

We also pretty much tried to replace Young with Albrighton, which didn't seem to work too well at the time. 

Ok maybe we try to replace our best players, but we do it badly pretty much all the time. The only trend is towards lesser and lesser quality.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

No - I think he is a ship steadier and a safe pair of hands. I think he might come into his own in the coming months \ years. I see him as a modern day Doug Ellis. I think he will get unpopular but thats the case for a lot of CEO 'S

Thats based on totally F all ! though.

I find his current silence a bit surprising if I am honest.

Disagree , he is the CEO and at the club on a daily basis he is also the one who signed Bruce. I imagine he signed off on all the transfers and wages too so there is no way he is blameless here and yes his silence is suprising as he usually as something to say on Twitter when Villa are mentioned ..I think his position must also be in trouble

• Like 1

The statement tells us nothing we did't already know and our fans are now going into meltdown as if this is the end of AVFC. Well its not.

We still have the nucleus of a good team. With a combination of what we have, including some of the kids, and some good wheeler dealing in the market we can still push on and give promotion a chance.

As as already been mentioned, look what Cardiff have done. How many of there players would we have wanted in the Villa team. They had Bennett playing for them ffs !!!!

Its all about everybody working as a team. Under Bruce we have had too many individuals. Yes he has made improvements but his short comings were there for everyone to see and have been gone over in spades.

And i for one think this is why he needs to be replaced with somebody who can get the best out of what we have. 

I do not think its all doom and gloom.....its a case of the 10/12 mill signings have gone by the wayside. With the right man in charge we can still compete.

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I'd argue we never replaced Milner and that his sale was the beginning of the downfall of the club. Milner himself, when he moved into CM, was the replacement for Barry too. But when we lost Milner we lost so much energy in the middle of the park and about 11 assists and somewhere as many goals and we had nothing to compensate for that loss.

We also never replaced Benteke well and got relegated.

We also pretty much tried to replace Young with Albrighton, which didn't seem to work too well at the time. 

Ok maybe we try to replace our best players, but we do it badly pretty much all the time. The only trend is towards lesser and lesser quality.  

Can't argue with any of that - I guess the point I was trying to make is that if Chester and Grealish leave, players will either step up or be signed that will give us something to be positive about. O'Hare might be as good as Grealish but will only get the opportunity to realise it if Jack leaves. Likewise Benteke was a £5m punt on a player no one had ever heard of - we could easily end up making another signing like that - more likely by chance not by design.

Â