England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You can excuse people for not knowing about football, no big deal, but to think Argentina is next to Poland lol...

My misses came out with a classic the other day said... 

If we vote to leave Europe next week dose that mean we can't play in the Euro's anymore :crylaugh:

I had to quickly decide on a dead leg, Chinese burn or a head lock followed with a knuckle scalp! 

She won All 4 in the end!

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I've backed Roy so far. But I think that many changes tonight is definitely the wrong approach.

I concur.

We have played well, we have momentum. Go out and win the group. Winners don't get tired (cliche alert)

Just now, rodders0223 said:

I concur.

We have played well, we have momentum. Go out and win the group. Winners don't get tired (cliche alert)

Winning the group is a massive advantage. And yes, momentum. 

Why take Rooney out when he's surprising everyone and actually playing very well in that role?

It's not like we have a massively settled team. We could do with the extra game time together.

I still think we'll win the game with the expected team. I just don't think it's necessarily the right approach.

Rooney is not what I would call a very durable player though, 3 games in 8 days or so is probably a bit too much for him especially if want keep him for further on in competition

Yeah I think you make changes to rest the players most in need.  I think Rooney probably falls into that category.  Stop short of making wholesale changes, because of the momentum, but you do need to use your squad carefully if you want to win the competition, and game 3 is the best time to do it if you have that luxury.  Because from here on, it's win or bust.

I don't actually mind too much. I think dropping Rooney is certainly a big drop in quality to Wilshire/Henderson. But unlike other years, I don't think our squad players are a massive step down in quality. 

Quite surprised at 6 changes, would've thought 3-4 at most.

Vardy has to start...and also as central striker rather than being out wide. He's earnt that from his goal and will surely relish being the main man upfront like he is at Leicester.

Sturridge would be a cert aswell...but need to be careful he dosen't break down otherwise that would be his tournament over. Plenty of people didn't want him in the squad for those reasons.

Beyond that it amuses me Rooney being taken out. Other tournaments he's been hopeless yet been an automatic pick, this edition he starts off pretty well and will now be taken out...would rather rest Alli as he wasn't great the other day.

I suppose looking at FBs if you take out Walker you also need to take out Rose as the balance wouldn't quite be right then.

Rose/Walker both dynamic lung busting FBs v the more conservative nature of Clyne and Bertrand.

It's a bold move from Woy. England will qualify regardless but it's important not to puncture the momentum that a disjointed performance might.

Forster for Hart

Clyne and Bertrand for Walker and Rose

Vardy and Sturridge for Kane and Sterling

Wiltshire for Rooney

I think that would be OK and we should still win.

Personally I would give Alli a rest and play Barkley/Wiltshire in his role and keep Rooney in.

43 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

England could potentially drop to 3rd after this match. I hope Roy takes it seriously. 

This is true.  Don't need to be giving Slovakia a 2 goal win combined with a Welsh win or you come bottom of that little round robin head 2 head.  Not that I think for a second that this will happen.  Just something to bear in mind before making wholesale changes against a side who will most definitely be taking it very seriously.

36 minutes ago, BOF said:

This is true.  Don't need to be giving Slovakia a 2 goal win combined with a Welsh win or you come bottom of that little round robin head 2 head.  Not that I think for a second that this will happen.  Just something to bear in mind before making wholesale changes against a side who will most definitely be taking it very seriously.

Exactly. It's alright to rest some legs, but still gotta take this seriously. I think Wales will beat Russia so that'll put them on 6, and Slovakia is tougher than most give them credit for.