England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I think England, Germany, Croatia and Spain have been the best sides, although I missed the Itally game.

Conte masterclass. Would likely be disappointed they only got 2.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But better teams will give us more space to run into, players like Vardy will be an incredible asset then.

Both teams we have played so far have been so negative. It's been hard to break them down.  Better teams won't play like that imo. 

Italy are always a nightmare match up for England, give them nothing at the back or from set pieces although despite what they did v Belgium not sure there's a huge amount to worry in the final third.

Spain will keep the ball for eternity, we could be talking about 30 odd % possession in that although of course you can still get through despite that.

Portugal always seem to have the sign over England in tournaments although they've not met each other for a while tho.

Germany would be a fun match up, would like to see that tbh.

All those teams I've named, it's difficult to see them not scoring at least once v England.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I really don't think there are any stand out sides in this and with a little rub of the green we could go a long way.

Agreed. Of course there are issues with the defensive but i think all the usual suspects have issues. 

France have a very good midfield,but the link to the front line isn't always great and their defence is as bad as ours to be honest.

Spain are not the spain of old, they seem to be trying to evolve their system a little bit and I'm not a huge fan of their front line. There motivation for success after so much in recent history also seems to have dropped off a little.

Germany are the obvious favorites imo but they also have a few issues getting the right balance in attack, Gotze isn't working up front and Gomez wont petrify a half decent defender. Look, they are very strong and I'm maybe clutching at straws, but they aren't perfect and we did beat them in march. 

All in all whilst I dont think we will win it, its probably the weakest championship in a long time. Top the group, get a bit of luck with the draw and i don't think the semi's should be out of reach. Get there and anything can happen. 

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Italy are always a nightmare match up for England

Or anyone.

As Wales showed today, a back 3/5 is very difficult to play against, especially with a 3 in front. Italy keep 2 men up top as well so if you push your full backs on, you're risking a 2v2. I don't even know what you can do against a 3-5-2 to be honest. I'm surprised more teams don't do it in England, I suspect it's that not many teams employ it so there's a bit of a learning curve.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Or anyone.

As Wales showed today, a back 3/5 is very difficult to play against, especially with a 3 in front. Italy keep 2 men up top as well so if you push your full backs on, you're risking a 2v2. I don't even know what you can do against a 3-5-2 to be honest. I'm surprised more teams don't do it in England, I suspect it's that not many teams employ it so there's a bit of a learning curve.

Apart from New Zealand, Slovakia, Costa Rica and any other minnow they play in world cups. ;)

On 6/14/2016 at 12:56, chrissmith921 said:

Wales sit deep but compact - so the space is wide only - we have 4 big centre backs and a massive keeper - we want you to play cross after cross.

England lack the technical quality to 'Arsenal' it around our box with 8-9 one touch passes and open us up through the middle.

We didn't concede from open play in qualifying at all by the way - just so you know - we sit deep but you need to break us down - and then leave Bale against Chris Smalling 1 v 1.... hello!

hello!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

You obviously have to take the level of opposition into consideration but I think England have been excellent in both games. Hopefully if we can get a win on Monday that should be a real springboard going into the knock out stages. I really don't think there are any stand out sides in this and with a little rub of the green we could go a long way.

Yep I think we have dominated both games but the lack of scoring has been a problem, certainly from the start XI.  Playing Sterling and Lallana just doesn't look like scoring goals to me so if Kane isn't firing, for all the good play we just don't take advantage of it.  We've got genuine goalscorers in Vardy and Sturridge on the bench who can also play out wide if they have to, I'd rather one or both of them got a go from the start against Slovakia and beyond.

• Like 1

Good effort today.  Sterling should be gone now - offers nothing, Hart I'd drop too - that was a howler, but we really look like we've got options up front and if we can avoid letting in shit goals, we've got a chance to do something exciting here.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Big problem though will be England just can't keep clean sheets.

Look at these two games, barely given the opposition chances and still kept conceded twice.

That's the biggest concern from the two games. We've conceded two or three shots on target, but conceded 2 goals.

I'm not worried about our attack. I think it's actually very good.

Been impressed with Walker, Lallana and Dier especially, Rooney looks OK in midfield so far, Alli not at his best and I don't think he should start next game. Kane has looked poor in both games and Sterling is just a bit rubbish. Hart and the defence look shaky though, and we'll be punished by better teams. With a bit of fortune I think we could make SF though.

Thoroughly enjoyable tournament so far

for me, Rooney slows us up too much. We break away quickly, give him the ball and we grind to a halt.

he's not doing a bad job there but is bringing our attack to a standstill.

also he gave away the free kick that hart let in after miscontrolling the ball.

Dier is a central defender playing out of position for me. He's talented enough to play a simple defensive midfield role but when he is asked to create as well he comes up short because he just isn't that player. England could do with a Carrick type beside him to take the pressure off on that front.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Big problem though will be England just can't keep clean sheets.

Look at these two games, barely given the opposition chances and still kept conceded twice.

Joe Hart needs to stop shouting in the tunnel and remember his job is actually to dive properly and save the ball. As to this centre half combination...

I noticed Hart laughing just before the free kick, joking around with Bale as he had done earlier in the game. I thought when I saw that he's going to have egg on his face here, and wasn't wrong.

Someone said Oliver Khan criticised having a wall in the first place - I think he's right. Have one or two men in front of the ball and the rest of them standing around in the area, give yourself sight of the ball the whole way and give the defenders a chance to get in the way too. Certainly shouldn't have been stood so far to one side for a free kick that was virtually straight on at that distance.

29 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Dier is a central defender playing out of position for me. He's talented enough to play a simple defensive midfield role but when he is asked to create as well he comes up short because he just isn't that player. England could do with a Carrick type beside him to take the pressure off on that front.

Couldn't  disagree more. We have dominated both games and not gave too much away, largely down to the CM. Poch has unearthed a gem putting him there. Rooney and Lallana and Dier to an extent should be creative.

• Like 1