England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

Russia are an old man team, I just find it bizarre they have so many old 30 + players when they're hosting the world cup in two years time.

Bad signs England ceased up against them late on, they should've been much fitter and fresher even in closing stages.

I don't think it was a fitness thing, just an error of judgement. If you look at 80-85, we just played the ball around and Russia had no energy to close down. Unfortunately we sat back after that.

We probably only need two more draws to go through as one of the best placed third anyway, so theres no way we shouldn't make the last 16. If we did it would be then I would class that as the lowest moment ever in English football. 

• Like 1

England have yet to figure out their first XI, which isn't good when you've had a whole qualification process to sort it out. Wales are settled and have the best player. I think that will become apparent during the match, but the result really depends on the team England puts out. If they find a good balance then they should win because they have a better squad, but it will be close.

If I was Engerland I'd go for

Hart

Walker
Smalling
Cahill
Rose

Dier
Henderson
Alli
Sterling

Kane
Vardy

with a midfield diamond, sterling at the tip.

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think a draw Stevo and we'll beat Slovakia when Hodgson decides its time to go with Kane and Vardy. 

I'm not convinced that is the way to go anymore.

We have always performed better in a 4-2-3-1 in recent years. We reverted to that on the weekend and it worked. No we didn't win the game, but we looked good. The system was fine.

I genuinely think we should start Thursday's game with the same lineup as Saturday.

I think Vardy starts, if only because he got no minutes against Russia and as a reaction to the fact Kane flattered to deceive.  Squad game 'n all that.  Whether it's the right thing to do is another matter.  I just think that's what he'll do.

I'm sure we will start with the same line-up on thursday but I thought going into this competition our main strength was our forwards with Kane and Vardy getting nearly 50 goals between them in the Premier League last season, I just dont think we are going to get very far with Sterling and Lallana. and I thought Lallana in particular had a very good game against Russia.

Edited by PaulC

Just now, BOF said:

I think Vardy starts, if only because he got no minutes against Russia and as a reaction to the fact Kane flattered to deceive.  Squad game 'n all that.  Whether it's the right thing to do is another matter.  I just think that's what he'll do.

Maybe.

I think the best thing to do would be to show faith in Kane, and then replace him with Vardy if Kane doesn't improve.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I'm sure we will start with the same line-up on thursday but I thought going into this competition our main strength was our forwards with Kane and Vardy getting nearly 50 goals between them in the Premier League last season, I just dont think we are going to get very far with Sterling and Lallana. 

Lallana was excellent on Saturday.

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

No space behind Wales' backline for Vardy to run into - Wales sit deep and compact - what England should do is go wide to pin our fullbacks (always our out ball under Coleman, Speed) in so we can't get bodies up to support Ramsey Bale and HRK.

If you try to play through Wales - you wont do it. If you go wide, you'll have more joy. But hey ho.

• Like 1

If Wales sit deep that would be great. Russia, unfortunately, wouldn't do that and it caused a lot of our quick passing around and then in to the box to result in an offside decision. If Wales sit deeper, we'll get more chances in the box which is fine by me.

Wales sit deep but compact - so the space is wide only - we have 4 big centre backs and a massive keeper - we want you to play cross after cross.

England lack the technical quality to 'Arsenal' it around our box with 8-9 one touch passes and open us up through the middle.

We didn't concede from open play in qualifying at all by the way - just so you know - we sit deep but you need to break us down - and then leave Bale against Chris Smalling 1 v 1.... hello!

10 minutes ago, chrissmith921 said:

England lack the technical quality to 'Arsenal' it around our box with 8-9 one touch passes and open us up through the middle.

Slovkia scored and had one cleared off the line without doing any kind of real passing, they literally ran through the Welsh defence.

32 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Slovkia scored and had one cleared off the line without doing any kind of real passing, they literally ran through the Welsh defence.

Weiss and Hamsik are both better players than what England possess. Hamsik in particular would walk into either of our national teams, quite comfortably.

Just now, chrissmith921 said:

Weiss and Hamsik are both better players than what England possess. Hamsik in particular would walk into either of our national teams, quite comfortably.

Good attempt at trolling. Weiss isn't good enough for Villa.