How Would You Describe Your Extended Family?

maqroll

Unfortunately on my Dad's side I know very few, as my Dad died when I was very young and until recently it was really just my Grandad. Although when going through his house after he passed I found a family bible going back about 5 generations plus seperately a family tree just on my dads side going back about 10 generations.

My mum is Irish and all her family are a little crazy, and have a legend of a great great uncle who we call the machine as he just keeps going, despite being 90, various health problems, living on a farm on his own very isolated in Co Donegal.

My step Dad is pretty much why I'm Villa, however a lot of his family are blues, which makes the occasional family get together interesting as there a couple you can only tolerate so much.

my mums side is a mixed bag. my grandad is good in ways but pisses me off in ways, my gran god bless her soul was one of the greatest and toughest women ever to live and was the rock of the family. we were very very close too. my mums sister is a bit of a scumbag along with most of her kids, and my mums brother is sound enough but does not have much to do with the family as hes all his wifes family. my dads side,well if anyone knows anything be sure to let us know because hes never had anything to do with me and walked once he knew my mum was pregnant. now my gran has gone we are all pretty distant with each other and if im honest it suits me fine. my missus and her family have a strong family bond but mine is nothing like that.

The nuts and bolts of it for my family:

My mother's maternal family are a bunch of weirdos... they're my English blood. Smart people on the whole, and very middle class, either by aspiration or demonstration. Very Episcopalian Northeast kind of ethic with the older generation on that side. A few real characters, most of whom are gone now. They were hustlers in their way. My rich great uncle made his fortune in trash removal. Middle class people who have always acted like they were some kind of royalty. 

My mother's paternal family are my Irish blood. My granddad grew up in Quincy, Mass. where they carved out a life amongst the hordes of Irish who poured into Boston at the turn of the century. I only knew my great Uncle Jack from that family. They didn't accept that my Irish Catholic grandfather married an English Protestant girl in the 1920's in Boston, so he was always the outcast from his family after that. 

My father is of Italian and Dutch stock. Salt of the earth people who make family events enjoyable.

Edited by maqroll

Â