Berlin

chrisp65

On 11/21/2017 at 13:45, lapal_fan said:

Good time to go.  It'll be mid 20's C - take some shorts! :) 

I've sent you a big long message - let me know if you have anymore questions  :thumb: 

Can you forward it on to me? Off there on a stag next March, it'll be about 30 Irish lads so plenty of boozin' done.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well what a top city. Jumps to the top of city visits. We did rather knacker ourselves in the first couple of days walking all over the place but definitely coming back. So much to see. The Spy museum is great fun and well worth a visit amongst all the others.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nath182 said:

Only 6 weeks until I go! Can't wait. We booked our tickets for the Hertha Berlin match yesterday :D

You’d have been better off booking tickets for a match  in a round 6 weeks time :) 

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...

Off to Berlin in a couple of weeks with Mrs Trog. Anyone got any particular tips/suggestions?

We're looking at some of the usual historical stuff (Topography of Terror, Sachsenhausen, Berlin Story Bunker) and tourist sights (meal in the TV tower, Reichstag - although the dome is closed while we're there, possibly a museum or two) but if anyone has any suggestions or advice then it's more than welcome. We're off to a gig at the Columbiahalle while we're there but not party animals - just having three days away from the kids will be appreciated!

7 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Off to Berlin in a couple of weeks with Mrs Trog. Anyone got any particular tips/suggestions?

We're looking at some of the usual historical stuff (Topography of Terror, Sachsenhausen, Berlin Story Bunker) and tourist sights (meal in the TV tower, Reichstag - although the dome is closed while we're there, possibly a museum or two) but if anyone has any suggestions or advice then it's more than welcome. We're off to a gig at the Columbiahalle while we're there but not party animals - just having three days away from the kids will be appreciated!

Depends what you are up but you need to register for the Reichstag in advance. I recommend the Stasi Museum it doesnt make the maps of the city but its really good compared to the touristy DDR Museum in the centre. The underground bunkers are pretty good too. Mauerpark on a Sunday is quite cool for a stroll.

If want food/drink mainly avoid Alexanderplatz/Mitte and go to one of the other parts of town and will find better value and atmosphere

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

checkpoint charlie was my favourite museum there, from memory there was a couple of disappointing ones that didnt translate a lot and in general the life under the russians and cold war stuff is better than the life under the nazis WW2 stuff 

use the stamp thing on the ubahn, i got kicked off in berlin, only place I've ever had a problem with it

eat currywurst, avoid haxe, the best food is still schnitzel, if you go to a supermarket* buy the proper knoppers chocolate bars, the best german beer is hell but as the weather turns colder i like to drink weizen so try and get a proper one of them, a dunkel erdinger if you can

* as always with germany everything will be shut on sunday

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

checkpoint charlie was my favourite museum there, from memory there was a couple of disappointing ones that didnt translate a lot and in general the life under the russians and cold war stuff is better than the life under the nazis WW2 stuff 

use the stamp thing on the ubahn, i got kicked off in berlin, only place I've ever had a problem with it

eat currywurst, avoid haxe, the best food is still schnitzel, if you go to a supermarket* buy the proper knoppers chocolate bars, the best german beer is hell but as the weather turns colder i like to drink weizen so try and get a proper one of them, a dunkel erdinger if you can

* as always with germany everything will be shut on sunday

I am more of a Weizen in summer guy 😉 

Best to get day passes for transport, think it's 9.90 in the machine and dont have to stamp it and takes you everywhere.

i haven't drank them because they haven't got a chance around here but there's supposedly some new up and coming berlin breweries trying to break through that are good, dont be surprised if its a lot of bottles, the bottled beer market is huge

my other advice on beer would be never drink a stein and don't drink warsteiner, not a clue how that became so big as its one the worst beers here

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i haven't drank them because they haven't got a chance around here but there's supposedly some new up and coming berlin breweries trying to break through that are good, dont be surprised if its a lot of bottles, the bottled beer market is huge

my other advice on beer would be never drink a stein and don't drink warsteiner, not a clue how that became so big as its one the worst beers here

Brlo and Berliner Berg are in a lot of reataurants and some trendy bars now and both are good breweries im summer but if go to a kneipe then the classics Berliner Kindl/Pilsner and Schultheiss on tap

Thanks all! I'm not there over the weekend so don't have to worry about the Sunday closures... or Villa!

I'm a fan of Weißbier and general German beer anyway, so looking forward to that. If I end up drinking Warsteiner given the choice I anticipate will be available, then something will have gone very wrong.

I know a little German too so don't mind so much if things aren't translated in museums - I like the challenge! I visited on a school trip almost 20 years ago and seem to recall most people would prefer to speak English anyway when we're talking conversation rather than signs/info etc. - although that may be due to my atrocious schoolboy deutsch.

Appreciate all the advice. We are interested in the Nazi history side more than anything else (we're not fascists, I promise) but will give some of the other stuff a try. 

Anyone had a meal up the TV tower? Not sure if it'd be worth it as a treat or better just sticking to other places when eating. We're staying in Mitte just for ease, but will get a transport pass and mish round elsewhere too.

• 6 months later...
On 09/10/2022 at 00:06, Troglodyte said:

Thanks all! I'm not there over the weekend so don't have to worry about the Sunday closures... or Villa!

I'm a fan of Weißbier and general German beer anyway, so looking forward to that. If I end up drinking Warsteiner given the choice I anticipate will be available, then something will have gone very wrong.

I know a little German too so don't mind so much if things aren't translated in museums - I like the challenge! I visited on a school trip almost 20 years ago and seem to recall most people would prefer to speak English anyway when we're talking conversation rather than signs/info etc. - although that may be due to my atrocious schoolboy deutsch.

Appreciate all the advice. We are interested in the Nazi history side more than anything else (we're not fascists, I promise) but will give some of the other stuff a try. 

Anyone had a meal up the TV tower? Not sure if it'd be worth it as a treat or better just sticking to other places when eating. We're staying in Mitte just for ease, but will get a transport pass and mish round elsewhere too.

I Know A Little German Sprechen Sie Deutsch GIF - I Know A ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anyone got any tips for what to do and where to go in Berlin late May?

Going there with 3 friends who are all in their 40-50's so no clubs or dancing. Not been there since 2003 so don't remember much. Did most of the touristy stuff the first time I was there in 2000 the other guys have not been I think. We mostly like to chill, drink some beers and listen to guitar based music.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Anyone got any tips for what to do and where to go in Berlin late May?

Going there with 3 friends who are all in their 40-50's so no clubs or dancing. Not been there since 2003 so don't remember much. Did most of the touristy stuff the first time I was there in 2000 the other guys have not been I think. We mostly like to chill, drink some beers and listen to guitar based music.

Weather should be nice so start of the beer garden season, if need recommendations I have a few to recommend.  Avoid Alexanderplatz/Mitte areas and you will always find good places to drink for affordable prices with a good atmosphere. Not sure on the music as live music isnt as common in bars

Bring Cash as its still not very card friendly city

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Weather should be nice so start of the beer garden season, if need recommendations I have a few to recommend.  Avoid Alexanderplatz/Mitte areas and you will always find good places to drink for affordable prices with a good atmosphere. Not sure on the music as live music isnt as common in bars

Bring Cash as its still not very card friendly city

Thank's, had no idea about that.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Thank's, had no idea about that.

Is a lot of dodgy businesses who dont want card transactions popping up on the records so its annoying. If go touristy spots or hipster places you more than likely can pay by pay card but most pubs or restaurants its a No go

• Thanks 1

Â