Playstation 3

V01

I'm thinking about getting a PS3 to catch up on the exclusives I missed out on (Demon Souls, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Yakuza mainly possibly Disgaiea, Persona, Ni No Kuni and Heavenly sword too)

Are they going fairly cheap anywhere?

Is there a particular model I should get?

I'm planning on getting a PS4 eventually, is it worth saving Uncharted/The Last of Us for then?

I think, seeing as they're available on PS4 and more 'refined', yes you should wait for games like Uncharted that have been given an upgrade. There's also Valkyria Chronicles which is superb, and is also due a PS4 re-release soon.

There are plenty of things to play in the meantime, Ni No Kuni especially. I note Persona in your list though - Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 are PS2 games, with Persona 4 Golden being on Vita. They are, I believe, essential for gaming anime fans, which I recall you are.

There is a model of PS3 that plays PS2 games. Unlike the PS4 all PS3's play PS1 games, but for PS2 compatibility you need the 60GB PS3. I haven't researched it, but I assume that would mean this particular model is going to be more pricey than the others. Even then, the backwards compatibility isn't perfect, and unfortunately Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 are some of the rare examples of games that don't work perfectly.

If you're desperate to play those 2 games, just get a PS2.

To complicate things somewhat the PS4 does have the PS Now service, as well as the odd PS1, PS2 and PS3 game on PSN which work without any issues and have additional trophy and 1080p suppport. The list of games available so far isn't great though, and don't include any you've mentioned, I don't think.

So...that basically leaves Yakuza, Dark Souls, and Disgaea as the games listed as your reason for getting a PS3. Yakuza is great, but there's going to be PS4 versions soon enough. There's the latest Dark Souls on PS4 already, and Disgaea is a shadow of it's former self, the best games are still on PS2. I'm most tempted to tell you to skip straight to a PS4.

Edited by hogso

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, DK82 said:

Friend was doing a house clearance and has given me a PS3 (original) seems to be working ok... 

Can they have any type of spyware on?

Yes, it's a PC. Try this to reset it.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

How well do you know this friend?

It doesn't belong to my friend. He did a house clearance and asked if I wanted it, I have been looking for a PS3 for GT6 so jumped at the chance. The account belongs to some stranger. I've deleted it now.

Just now, DK82 said:

It doesn't belong to my friend. He did a house clearance and asked if I wanted it, I have been looking for a PS3 for GT6 so jumped at the chance. The account belongs to some stranger. I've deleted it now.

Sounds legit :mrgreen:

Sony must associate the physical box with an account. Worth remembering if you ever dispose of a PS device. I just checked and there is a section in your account to deactivate devices (account settings -> media and devices).

He's got a great business out of it tbf. Luckily he owes me a few favours so this was a nice one in return (I helped set up social media, set up a how-to guide for it all, good things to do etc) all free as a mate, so he deffo owed me this :D

Aha, I did delete but will check that too. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, DK82 said:

He's got a great business out of it tbf. Luckily he owes me a few favours so this was a nice one in return (I helped set up social media, set up a how-to guide for it all, good things to do etc) all free as a mate, so he deffo owed me this :D

Aha, I did delete but will check that too. Cheers.

I meant you need to delete the device when you sell it on, or replace it :)

Slight issue. I downloaded GT6 as it was on offer on the PS store. But I can't get the game to update as I am 358mb short of space (I know it needs double the game size to update) game size is 14gb, I have 16gb free. Is there any other way of doing an update?

Â