1987/88 Season: How close were we to a Hillsborough situation?

Corleone

I seem to remember going to a number of away matches during our last visit to the 2nd tier of english football and there were times when the away ends were so packed that you would just get swept away by the masses of people but it was considered the norm back then.

Bradford away springs to mind when we won 4-2 and then the season after at Old Trafford when we drew 1-1 (cowans)

Im sure there were a number of games during those couple of seasons especially 1987/88  where we could easily have been involved in a similar scenario.

Swindon away was pretty scary, lots of fans turned up without tickets (including me). The main gate to the away end was forced open and a stampede ensued with the police in the end cramming as many supporters into the away end rather than have hundreds of Villa supporters roaming about outside.

Probably the most scariest thing i have seen at a football match

Anybody who went to football in those days would've been involved in a surge that crushed them to a degree. It didn't matter what division you was in so find it very morbid drawing similarities. 

Was talking about this with a mate at work the other day. West Ham away for a midweek cup match in the late 80s. Way too many in the away end and loads of fans watched the game from the track running around the pitch. I was a teenager and went with my Dad. It was the closest I witnessed to a crush at a Villa game. 

Anyone also remember Villa v Arsenal at Villa Park when the netting that separated the Holte from the Witton Lane stand was set alight? That was a scary moment too. 

Remember going to the sty in league cup...the 2-0 of the 2 legs (5-0 @ villa park :-) 

That was pretty bad, shoved up against a police horse getting in, pay at turnstiles no tickets & could only view from the very back of the stand....although i think this was a million miles from the horrors at Hillsborough.

Â