Past Players Playing Premier League Football Next Year

punkiller1981

This type of thread my already have been done so if it has i apologise but this is just a couple of thoughts i have been having over the last few weeks. So next season we are going to be playing championship football and it occurred to me that next season there will be a number of players that have come through the Villa youth system that somebody within the mess that is the management set-up of villa decided were not good enough to play for the club. just to clarify i am not talking about the likes of James Milner or Benteke. 

Craig Gardner - Not the greatest of players to ever pull the villa shirt on but none the less a steady solid player that i think would have added something to the shambles of our midfield over that last few years, plus could have filled in at full back if needed. If i am getting given a choice of Gardner or Bacuna who has filled a similar role over that time i know who i would rather have had. I am not 100% on his contract situation but i am assuming he will still be at WBA next season. 

Steven Davis - I am pretty sure he was voted as player of the season one of the season he played for us and i am almost certain would have had a far more positive impact on our joke of a squad than the likes of westwood and bacuna. Next season probably playing regularly for a top 8 team in Southampton and will be going to the Euro's with  Northern Ireland.

Gary Cahill - Since being deemed not good enough for a place in the Villa team by Martin O'Neill he has gone on to a big money move to Chelsea and a regular place in the England Squad. So next year when we are probably playing Walsall in a local derby Cahill can look forward to derby games against Arsenal, West Ham etc.

Marc Albrighton - the most recent of the academy players i can think of deemed not good enough for Villa and then going off to play regulary in the premier league. In my view this one sums up Villa in a nutshell. the player not good enough for the might Villa plays a sigifigant part in winning the Premier League with Leicester City while the team he wasn't good enough to get in are being relegated with the most pathetic points total in the history of the premier league with the most pathetic bunch of people in any squad in the history of the premier league. (just a note here as well that refer to the players as people not as footballers because i think the is something intrinsically wrong with the playing staff as human beings not just as footballers. I think a lot of our players have issue's with there character that runs deeper than football).

so there is just a couple of thoughts, i am sure people will highlight that Cahill wanted to leave and i would say yes perhaps he did but thats because he knew he was good enoigh to be playing week in and week out and its the reason we are left with garbage like Clarke as our academy graduate centre back.

Boaz Myhill is another.

But these arguments are often over simplified, the players developed differently as a result of leaving Villa. Cahill in particular wouldn't be the player he is if he hadn't gone to Bolton and played regularly. You never know, had someone like Clark gone to the right club at the right time, he could be enjoying Cahill's success right now. There are so many variables in a footballers developments that it's rather pointless to look at players that left young and went on to achieve more or less. 

Curtis Davies and Matt Lowton didn't come through the system but fair point in that they were both deemed surplus to requirements. 

and i do agree that players develop at different levels but Cahill was clearly ready for first team football and Martin O'Neill wanted CB that could just clear there lines rather than footballing centre backs. Steven Davis was progressing well with Villa. and Marc Albrighton has won the premier league within 2 years of leaving. so i do agree that players develop at different levels but i am talking about players that were right in front of our faces and clealy good enoiugh to contribute. 

I am not trying to suggest i thought it was obvious that Cahill was a future £30 million defender and future England vice captain or that it was clear that Albrighton was going to go on and play a leading role in winning the premier league but my point is it was quite easy to see these players could have offered a significant contribution and would also have cost us a lot less in transfer fee's and probably wages then the lot we are left with now. It may look like i am saying this in hindsight but i was saying this when these players left Villa. the day Cahill left i was fuming, when i realised we were messing around in getting albrighton's contract sorted i thought it was mad. I was surpirsed we let Davis go. I will admit that i was less concerned about Gardner however i would happily have him back in our squad now. 

Clark might have developed at another club but the reason why he never go the chance was because no other clubs thought he was good enough so never tried to buy him.

Cahill wasn't good enough to be first choice at the time. That's why he went to Bolton, not straight to Chelsea. We didn't want to sell, but he wanted to go.
Albrighton bugs me though... always seemed to have something about him.

I was having this conversation with someone recently but we were talking about players who basically weren't good enough for Villa at the time of their departure. 

James Collins, Stephen Ireland, Phil Bardsley (I know it was a loan but he was awful), Shay Given, Steve Sidwell, Wayne Routledge and Peter Crouch are Premier League footballers, and most of them will be next season I'd imagine. 

Myhill/Given

Gardner, Cahill, Collins, Bardsley 

Albrighton, Sidwell, Ireland, Davis, Routledge 

Crouch 

I saw Sidwell couldnt get in Brighton team the other day, think he wont be near the pitch next season

the Routledge one was a shocker too, Maloney could be back in top flight next season as well or Bannan or the 4 shit ex-villa players at Derby :o 

3 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Cahill wasn't good enough to be first choice at the time.

He was. MON paid £4.5m for Zat Knight who played plenty and then Cahill left when he realised he wasn't going to get a look in because IIRC he was 4th choice. MON didn't need to sign Knight (and give him the MON special massive contract), he should have played Cahill and integrated a good young player into the first team.

• Like 2

Just now, villa89 said:

He was. MON paid £4.5m for Zat Knight who played plenty and then Cahill left when he realised he wasn't going to get a look in because IIRC he was 4th choice. MON didn't need to sign Knight (and give him the MON special massive contract), he should have played Cahill and integrated a good young player into the first team.

Then O'Neill wouldn't have earned another bung...

6 hours ago, Ooh-Ah said:

I was having this conversation with someone recently but we were talking about players who basically weren't good enough for Villa at the time of their departure. 

James Collins, Stephen Ireland, Phil Bardsley (I know it was a loan but he was awful), Shay Given, Steve Sidwell, Wayne Routledge and Peter Crouch are Premier League footballers, and most of them will be next season I'd imagine. 

Myhill/Given

Gardner, Cahill, Collins, Bardsley 

Albrighton, Sidwell, Ireland, Davis, Routledge 

Crouch 

Big one for me in recent times would be Bertrand.

Looked alright in the first few games, then rapidly deteriorated as all our left backs do and goes to Southampton and becomes a very good left back.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Looked alright in the first few games, then rapidly deteriorated as all our left backs do and goes to Southampton and becomes a very good left back.

after he was Lambertised, Bertrand looked dreadful but think was definite potential in him

13 hours ago, villa89 said:

absolute shocker and for me no denying it. MON signed Davies, Knight and then Cuellar(combined for nearly 25 million) who were nowhere near the level of Cahill talent or potential

• Like 1

Probably the biggest clanger Oneill made at Villa was selling Cahill. He would have actually made a decent striker. The way he took that goal against Spurs.

Edited by PaulC

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I see what you're saying but I would leave him out on the basis that, although he was inconsistent during his time here, I think we would have all liked to keep him

Â