Relegation thread 2016/17

GingerCollins29

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I've seen you mention the metal aspect a few times. What possible mental problem can there be when the owner, chairman, manager and players have all been swapped out? Mental problems aren't contagious which can be caught when a player walks through the doors of BMH.  The only mental problems I can see is a team who have no idea how they should be playing. This comes from the manager.

I get the whole "we're a big club and there's pressure" argument, not that I necessarily agree with it, but the manager needs to deal with that and make sure the players are up to it. As far as I can see i'm not sure even the manager is up to it. You don't see Rafa having trouble managing Newcastle, or their players having this huge mental problem which we seem to have, even though they were shite last season too. 

For me the problem stems from the manager, his negative tactics breeds negativity. The way he's unsure on how we're supposed to play will make the players unsure. We need a manager to come in and say "this is how we're going to play, we're going to do it til you get it right" and work on it. Not keep chopping and changing when we can't get the basics right and have no identity whatsoever.

Never expected Rafa to have trouble managing Newcastle - big difference being Newcastle probably the smallest club Rafa has managed whereas villa are the biggest club Bruce has managed and he's struggled to cope .

maybe he is so afraid of failure that he is too cautious in his whole approach but he needs to throw caution to the wind and play a far more aggressive game on the front foot taking the game to opponents rather than sitting back like frightened rabbits .

Bruce to me is in the last chance saloon and could be gone in 10 days unless he brings about a change in fortune fast . 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2017 at 15:36, ColonelBlimp said:

Guys Guys Guys (and Gals)

Calm down a bit eh, enough of the wrist slashing. 

You've got good players, you have a good manager. All you have at the moment is a bad run of form. Every club in this league has it, there's 46 games. Have a look through every club's results and, maybe apart from the top 3, all have had runs of 5 or 6 games where it appears the wheels have fallen off.

I know this, I'm a Derby fan, happens every year.

You'll scrape a win in the next week or two, then a draw, then a win and so on.

50 points is the accepted cut-off target for staying up in this league, you will get 14 more points easily.

If you could just start collecting them from sunday onwards I'd appreciate it, ta.

Nice to see a bit of outside perspective. :thumb:

next 2 weeks looking a bit important - 

blues (40) - wolves, leeds, wigan

villa (36) - derby, bristol, rotherham, huddersfield

forest (36) - wigan, brighton, brentford

wolves (35) - blues, reading, ipswich

burton (35) - blackburn, bristol, sheffield wednesday

bristol (32) - fulham, newcastle, villa, burton, norwich

wigan (30) - forest, blackburn, blues

blackburn (29) - burton, derby, wigan, cardiff

rotherham (17) - brentford, villa, brighton

we cant all keep losing, wolves vs blues on friday is looking a big game for wolves with reading and ipswich coming up, bristol could have a nightmare whereas wigan could go on a run, i dont think its out of the question to say we could be 8-10 points clear of bristol by the 7th, 5-10 points clear of blackburn and wigan

looking at our fixtures we have 4 of the top 7 to play at home and 4 of the bottom 7 to play away, it could still end up being tight

As the family are watching the Britt's I have spent the last hour on YouTube watching some great games, god I am depressed now. What we would give for a Bosnich, McGrath, Taylor, Houghton, Townsend, Mortimer, Yorke, Withe, Evans, Shaw or even a Phil King.

12 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I've seen you mention the metal aspect a few times. What possible mental problem can there be when the owner, chairman, manager and players have all been swapped out? Mental problems aren't contagious which can be caught when a player walks through the doors of BMH.  The only mental problems I can see is a team who have no idea how they should be playing. This comes from the manager.

I get the whole "we're a big club and there's pressure" argument, not that I necessarily agree with it, but the manager needs to deal with that and make sure the players are up to it. As far as I can see i'm not sure even the manager is up to it. You don't see Rafa having trouble managing Newcastle, or their players having this huge mental problem which we seem to have, even though they were shite last season too. 

For me the problem stems from the manager, his negative tactics breeds negativity. The way he's unsure on how we're supposed to play will make the players unsure. We need a manager to come in and say "this is how we're going to play, we're going to do it til you get it right" and work on it. Not keep chopping and changing when we can't get the basics right and have no identity whatsoever.

Honestly, I do believe these mental problems can be "contagious". It's the environment. Villa have been in decline for a prolonged period of time and the club is shrouded in weakness and generally used to losing. It drags players and managers down. It's why we tend to get players come in who have done well elsewhere and just not perform. The club has been totally bereft of confidence (except for a couple of short bursts) for the better part of 6/7 years.

I'm not saying that it's the only problem because it certainly isn't but the fact that we've changed so many things and yet many of the same problems exist kind of proves my point I think. As I've said before, I'm not happy with Bruce and I'm probably leaning more towards getting rid but remember he's proven at this level. And yet still we're seeing the same kind of shit we've seen from unproven managers and proven shit managers.

I think the core of the problem is that we can't deal with setbacks. When teams score we crumble. When a relatively decent run (e.g. before Christmas) is bought to an end we can't bounce back from it.

That Bristol City game is key for us as that will potentially give us an 7 point cushion over them. They're in complete free fall so losing that should be an instant dismissal type result for Bruce IMO. 

Wigan will be looking for points against Forest, Blackburn and Blues to drag themselves out of the bottom three. We simply have to take six points from the Bristol City and Rotherham games - nothing less will do. 

• Like 1

Just now, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Almost safe and with over ten games left of the season to play. When was the last time we could say that!? 

Congrats to Bruce, Wyness, Round and Xia plus all the lads for making this a season to truly remember.

I eagerly await the season review DVD

• Like 1

Shall we put this thread to bed? 22nd Place for last 10 years:

2015-6 – 40 points

2014-5 – 41 points

2013-4 – 44 points

2012-3 – 54 points

2011-2 – 40 points

2010-1 – 42 points

2009-10 – 47 points

2008-9 – 46 points

2007-8 – 52 points

2006-7 – 42 points*

Average: 44.8 points

(*Leeds had a 10-points deduction due to entering administration so would have been on 46 points and relegated anyway - pushes the average to 45.2 points if you take that into account).

A win on Saturday and we will be 45 points and then another 11 games against Blues, Brighton, Norwich, QPR, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn, Burton, Fulham, Huddersfield and Wigan. The shame is that the home games are against tougher opponents and the away matches are teams in the bottom, but we *should* be able to  scrape 10 more points which would put us at 55 points – more than anyone who has been relegated since we were last in the 2nd tier. 

Rotherham already look to have sown up 1 spot and I can’t see 2 of Ipswich, QPR, Forest, Burton, Wolves, Bristol, Blackburn and Wigan getting above us in any event (with both Bristol and Wolves below us in the form table).

We have not been great, by any stretch of the imagination, however we surely are not being relegated?

Time to lock this thread? For this season, anyway…;)

• 4 weeks later...
Â