Midweek football 2/5 May MNF Championship Champions League & Europa League 2nd legs

andykeenan

59 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

So success or failure at Munich then? Imperious domestically but no euro cup in three seasons when Jupp Heynckes and Hitzfeld both won it. I'd class it as the same as when Mourinho was at Real Madrid, advancements but not quite as good as it could've been.

The premier league won't be a walkover for him at City either.

I think he hit par.  

I'm not sure failing to win the Champions League can be seen as failure.  It's really really really difficult to win. Even the teams who do manage to win it can never retain it (hasn't happened in almost 30 years when Milan did it in 88/89 and 89/90) so to expect it as a minimum for a season's work is both arrogant and deluded. Just because Bayern fans are bored with sweeping up the domestic league and cup with alarming regularity doesn't mean any manager who fails to win the big cup has gone and **** up. 

• Like 2

The Mourinho at Madrid comparison is interesting. It seems that when it comes to the highest level the two have been sussed out: Mourinho's last CL win was 2010. Guardiola's was in 2011, and neither have reached the final since. Interestingly, both have been sussed out by Simeone in recent years!

In my mind, a quality manager is adaptable. SAF was adaptable. Ancelotti is adaptable. Both Mourinho & Guardiola seem set in their very different ways. They had initial successes, Mourinho's more impressive admittedly, but have since struggled to replicate it as their methods became known and readily countered.

Certainly, a lot of things have to fall into place for a team to win the CL, but given their reputations (and reported salaries) one would expect a lot more from both managers.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Dreadful decision. Stupid foul but miles outside the box.

Justice done with Torres missing.

Torres penalty record is absolute woeful, surprised he was allowed take it

35 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I think he hit par.  

I'm not sure failing to win the Champions League can be seen as failure.  It's really really really difficult to win. Even the teams who do manage to win it can never retain it (hasn't happened in almost 30 years when Milan did it in 88/89 and 89/90) so to expect it as a minimum for a season's work is both arrogant and deluded. Just because Bayern fans are bored with sweeping up the domestic league and cup with alarming regularity doesn't mean any manager who fails to win the big cup has gone and **** up. 

This.

Improved them domestically, if that was even possible, but would have failed to meet expectations (about the most diplomatic way to put it because I agree that not winning the CL shouldn't be seen as a failure) in European competition.

Still expecting him to take Man City to another level.

Is getting to semi-finals of the champions league and dominating your domestic league a failure, I don't think so. The domestic league in England is much tougher than Germany, he has less of an advantage over other teams so I dont expect him to dominate it. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Is getting to semi-finals of the champions league and dominating your domestic league a failure, I don't think so. The domestic league in England is much tougher than Germany, he has less of an advantage over other teams so I dont expect him to dominate it. 

it is when you take over the best team in Europe at the time, plus the defeats in Europe have been quite poor. Juventus and Porto should really have knocked them out in last 2 seasons

Yes the Atletico tie could have gone either way. If Muller scores that pen we could be talking about Bayern getting to the final. Small margins in these cup competitions. Best teams always win the leagues but not neccessarily the champions league. 

Bayern are able to outspend the rest of their competitors several fold and are also in a position where they can buy players from rivals and not play them regularly, almost simply to just weaken rivals rather than improve themselves. 

What Guardiola has done is simply hit par, any other half decent manager on that budget would have achieved similar results. 

Guardiola is just criminally overrated and I can't wait to him flatter to deceive at City.

• Like 2

Bayern are no different than Celtic, any chance of a rival sure we will weaken them. Hummels joining in the summer to go with Lewandowski(cheating prick) and Gotze(whatever happened to him)

id compare what Guardiola did at Bayern to Ronny Deila at Celtic, they both won easy leagues compared squad they have and both struggled in Europe unlike managers they took over from

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Harsh calling that an own goal.  It took a nick off of Fernando's boot but it's a Gareth Bale goal for me.   (replay)

Bale was crossing the ball. He had no intention to shoot there at all. You can see on the 2nd replay for the half a second before it hits fernando, the ball was going into the middle of the box and not on target. 

21 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I think he hit par.  

O.k rephrase that slightly...getting to three semis and not making one final.

I'll bet he says he was shooting in the post match interview, especially if there is a goal bonus involved. :P

Â