Pre-Match Thread

John

We play our last home game of this desperate season on Saturday 7th May at 15.00. This will be our last Premier League game at Villa Park for at least one season although we may well welcome our visitors again next year as they might yet be "going down with the Villa" this season. We need to avoid defeat to avoid breaking the club record of 11 consecutive defeats that we equalled when snatching defeat from the jaws of victory at Watford on Saturday. Is that too much to ask for?

Newcastle were relegated at Villa Park in May 2009 and appear to have had a problem with us since then because some of us may have given them a bit too much stick for their liking on that day. Well we have taken a fair bit of stick this season from visiting fans and the press alike but we seem to have developed thicker skins than they had back then. No doubt Newcastle will relish a further opportunity for revenge should they beat us at Villa Park for the third time in the last four seasons (we managed a goalless draw last season). A 3rd home win of the season rather than a 13th home defeat would be nice as would be a 5th home draw given it would avoid yet another sorry defeat.

This is a meeting of two clubs with a proud history but with uncertain futures at best. I would like to think that our players would show some respect to Norwich, Sunderland and not least to Villa fans by giving 110% on Saturday but I have my doubts. This is a "must not lose" game not for the points, or to send our visitors down but to give us a little bit of respect back and to have our visitors planned party plans postponed.        

I have no doubts we will manage to beat yet another horrible club record since that's how we roll these days. However, the sadistic schadenfreude of grinding Newcastle's hopes back a gear or two would be so pleasing. Too bad we aren't allowed happiness.

I bet the players can't wait to get this last chore over and done with before jetting off to the Caribbean. If you were Rafa Benitez you'd be thanking your lucky stars that you have a game against Villa. This is set up for a thrashing and for revenge to be the word of the day. 

0-3

Edited by One For The Road

Average attendances have understandably dropped below last season's numbers.  If we want them to break even, a turnout of 41,470 will do it :) (not bloody likely).

I don't see us getting another point this season, so another three points towards safety for Newcastle. Our only chance is if the Newcastle kit man forgets the players boots and they have to play in slippers, even then I wouldn't fancy the chances of our defenders keeping a clean sheet.

Made me laugh

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lame-banner-really-newcastle-uniteds-11279443

Is this lame banner REALLY Newcastle United's answer to Aston Villa's Sob on the Tyne taunt?

The fierce rivalry dates back to May 24 2009 when a 1-0 Villa win condemned Newcastle to relegation.  That day a less-than-sympathetic banner proclaiming 'Sob on the Tyne' was displayed in the Holte End, along with another asking: 'Who will be you next Messiah - Ant or Dec'. The Toon Army have not forgiven the Villa Park faithful for mocking their misery and it could be a feisty encounter in B6 this weekend. Now this 'Glum in the Brum' banner, purportedly made by Newcastle fans is doing the rounds on social media.

Newcastle United banner aimed at Aston Villa

Edited by Gary Thomas

Made me laugh

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lame-banner-really-newcastle-uniteds-11279443

Is this lame banner REALLY Newcastle United's answer to Aston Villa's Sob on the Tyne taunt?

The fierce rivalry dates back to May 24 2009 when a 1-0 Villa win condemned Newcastle to relegation.  That day a less-than-sympathetic banner proclaiming 'Sob on the Tyne' was displayed in the Holte End, along with another asking: 'Who will be you next Messiah - Ant or Dec'. The Toon Army have not forgiven the Villa Park faithful for mocking their misery and it could be a feisty encounter in B6 this weekend. Now this 'Glum in the Brum' banner, purportedly made by Newcastle fans is doing the rounds on social media.

bannernewc.jpg

Oh no we have been burned.

I can't go to the game as I am in Stratford Upon Avon attending the wedding of a friend.

Please folks - out-banner the bitter and twisted Toon. Just have a relegation party and let all your hairs hang out... Make their banner backfire on them. 2009 was such a long time ago, it's virtually historic. We've moved on, so why can't they? It's because they're obsessed, just as much as the Small Heath and Sandwell crowers.

It's not as if they didn't get their revenge earlier is it? August 2010 - 6-0 drubbing at St James Park anyone?

Meh - out-banner the twunts.

9 hours ago, Mantis said:

I really hope the fans let certain players know what we think of them.

Yes, I really want Gabby, Richards, Okore, Bacuna et al to start just so they can get the appreciation they so fully deserve. 

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

I really hope the fans let certain players know what we think of them.

If they are stupid enough to do a lap of honour fair enough, but I hope we don’t start booing during the game tbh. They're not worth it and it’s pointless at this stage. They already know what we think of them, most will be gone in the summer and quite honestly booing our players makes us look like idiots.  It won’t be long before we are trying to attract players to Villa – abusing our players won’t help that, even if we know certain players deserve it.  Personally, I hope we create more of a party (away game) atmosphere. F**k it, we’re down, we’re crap, we’ve been let down but we’re still here supporting  and having the craic - proclaiming our love for Villa, celebrating a few old players, being defiant with a bit of gallows humour.  That would be more enjoyably and it would be nice to bow out of the league reminding everyone what a great atmosphere VP can be.

Edit some hours later: not one like you miserable f**kers - some party this is going to be!

200.gif

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2