Midweek football 25/28 MNF Champions League & Europa League Semi Final 1st leg

andykeenan

If they hold on here then it will be Atleti's 8th clean sheet in 11 Champions League games this season.  Only Benfica and Barcelona have scored past them so far.  They've only conceded 16 goals in the league this season too (played 35 games). 

33 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

As good as the goal was, I don't think there's anything that kills a match of football more than a 1-0 lead for Atletico.

Yes so true I don't know whether to love them or hate them. They use every trick in the book to grind out results. The tie is in the balance. No favourites now. Expect 90% possession for Bayern 2nd leg.

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Eight 0-0 results for Real in Champion's League first-leg ties - they've gone through seven times.

I imagine Wolfsburg were pretty happy taking a 2-0 lead there in the last round.

Yes I'm not disputing the fact a win would have been a better result, thats obvious, but beating Real clearly isn't an easy feat. 0-0 is the next best thing, I'm sure City will be delighted with it.

1 minute ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Leicester are the new Atletico.

I was watching that thinking how alike they were.

Happy for the opposition to have the ball, well organised, hard working and looking to nick a goal in the break. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes so true I don't know whether to love them or hate them. They use every trick in the book to grind out results. The tie is in the balance. No favourites now. Expect 90% possession for Bayern 2nd leg.

The beauty of football though is such an anti football team can score one of the most beautiful individual goals scored all season and against another top class team.

As they said on BT if Messi had scored that goal the 10pm news would've shown that for half an hour instead of Hillsborough...(o.k I made the last bit up). 

Personally I hugely respect Atletico and Simeone for constantly selling their best striker each summer and yet remaining a major force. Great fans aswell. 

13 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

There definitely was an article knocking about a few months ago highlighting the similarities between the two, which basically came down to the preference for 4-4-2 and the influence of Italian football on Simeone.

I shared this a while ago, can't remember what thread, might be what you're talking about.

http://twentyminutereads.com/2016/02/04/secrets-of-the-italian-4-4-2/

"The anatomy of the 4-4-2s used by Simeone and Ranieri are comparable. Both teams tend to stay deep, with the lines positioned between twenty and fifty yards. Particularly at Atlético, the wingers tuck inside to form a tight-knit midfield four that cuts off potential passing angles centrally. (A Spanish journalist once called Simeone’s team “denser than stone”.) In both sides, the strikers drop down to disturb the opposition’s deep-lying central midfielders, a move that allows their own ball-winners to fall back and protect the defence. A pedant might call it 4-4-2-0. Going forward, long balls fly over the top, into the channels and down the flanks. Atlético won their title with a possession average of 49.1 percent, the ninth highest in the league, while Leicester currently have the third lowest average, with 43.9 percent, and the worst pass completion rate, with 69.5 percent."

Definitely worth a read.

Villareal's home record in euro competition must be ridiculous, especially against English teams. I remember back in their champions league days likes of Man. United and Arsenal could never beat them.

Still it's Anfield next week so you write Liverpool off at your peril although they could've done with an away goal.

Went to the usual club after playing football tonight, caught the 2nd half, we had a full blown 10 minute explanation to a group of Liverpool die hards as to why that goal wasn't offside, it was getting embarrassing at times

• Like 1

Â