Villa Academy XI

villanwesty88

What would be your academy XI? I'm annoyed at the lack of opportunities our players get and how easily we let them go - be it for free or massively undervalued. I think it would be a solid Premier League side all home grown. 

I'm creating my XI from living memory so about mid 90s onwards 

Here is my choice;

--------------------- Myhill -----------------

Ridgewell---- Cahill ---- Clark --- Scimeca

Albrighton ---- Barry --- Davis ---- Hitzlesperger ---- 

-------------Vassell -----Agbonlahor (pre 2012)-----

Rest of the squad;

Grealish

Weimann

Johnson

Graham

Lichaj

Hendrie

Craig Gardner

Whittingham

Bannan

Olejnik

Ward

Hogg

Herd

Carruthers

Luke Moore

Just now, dounavilla said:

Are those players all meet to be home grown ? Because I count at least three that are not. 

Yeah I know home grown is a grey area - like Crowley is technically home grown for Arsenal but we all know they nabbed him from us for their academy. I included the area ones mainly because I wanted Barry

Myhill

Lichaj - Cahill - Baker - Clark

Davis - Barry - Bannan

Albrighton - Moore - Whittingham

Subs: Olejnik, Grealish, Johnson, Gardner, Weimann, Herd, G.Gardner

They are all still playing but I'm not sure we could stay up with a team like that. Probably have Cahill, Barry and Davis plucked off us in a summer transfer and we'd be where we are now. 

Still gutted we let Johnson go, looks really good at PNE. Apart from him, Davis and Albrighton, when all the others left I wasn't too bothered. They went to continue their careers, and probably wouldn't be the players they are without that experience.

• Like 1

I said in another thread I thought the arrival of MON and Lerner's open chequebook actually screwed all the potential we had in our academy. Letting Davis and Gardner go while getting in Sidwell and Reo-Coker who I would argue were only marginally better players than both and of course Zat Knight and Davies over Cahill was just stupid. 

We had a decent crop of players from our academy that we frankly wasted. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

slightly off topic but on MOTD heard some boos when Davis was on the ball, dont think he deserved it at all

He was a good player for us, I always rated him, I still remember his debut at villa park against Manchester United, he was the best player on the pitch

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

slightly off topic but on MOTD heard some boos when Davis was on the ball, dont think he deserved it at all

I didn't hear any from the Holte, I n fact when he took his first corner he was applauded by quite a few. 

My Wolves supporting mate is raving about Jordan Graham, he was gutted when he was out for the season with injury.

Seems another good one we let go on a free.

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

My Wolves supporting mate is raving about Jordan Graham, he was gutted when he was out for the season with injury.

Seems another good one we let go on a free.

The problem was he had had a bad injury and never really got fit with us. Is a shame though, my wolves mate said he was a class act. Hopefully Grealish will outperform him next season like he did at youth level

On 4/24/2016 at 15:07, Zatman said:

I didn't notice this at the game. I'm pretty sure he got a good reception when taking a corner.

Â