The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yes. Aston Villa are re-locating to Belfast. John Snow is to be the new chairman and the Black Watch will be stewarding the ground.

Is this a spoiler for tonight's episode?

• Like 1

Lion = Dragon in Chinese zodiac - 

Those who wish to know the deeper side of Leo (and they DO have one!,) should know that this slinky, proud Sign is called "The Dragon" in Chinese Astrology; that huge, magical mythic creature who can lay waste to everything around it with a single breath, gathers up Jewels plundered from far and near to sleep on, and who is more than just a little bit vain. All of that would be merely amusing were it not for the fact that ONLY THE DRAGON CAN REALLY MAKE A NATION (or any OTHER gathering of people) "NOBLE" AND PROSPEROUS; for The Dragon truly IS a Monarch, and it's words can make one a Lord or Lady of the Court.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yes. Aston Villa are re-locating to Belfast. John Snow is to be the new chairman and the Black Watch will be stewarding the ground.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Is this a spoiler for tonight's episode?

jon_thrones_w.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

I think there's always going to be a high degree of scepticism when potential buyers are described as 'venture capital' or 'private equity' firms. Conjures up images of Gordon Gekko stripping down Bluestar Airlines in Wall Street.

Truth is, we were always going to be on the radar of the VC's as one could view us as a club that's in the High St. sales. Or last season's Premier League club that's now ended up in TK MAxx. We have a Premier League infrastructure and profile, but are now in the Championship. Not quite a distressed sale, but not far off.

I work with VC's in my work and naturally their aim is to turn a profit off their investment. However, by their very nature, the concept of investing in their project is part and parcel of their remit. A good venture capital firm will realise that in order for any project to succeed it will take not only time and money, but also expertise in the field.  We then have to factor in what the objective of the owners will be. It could be, as others have said, to raise the profile of another company, country or product, thus making the direct revenue of Aston Villa less important. We could simply become part of a larger group's marketing budget.

It's also worth pointing out that without venture capitalist, most entrepreneurial enterprises would not succeed. Struggling companies would go to the wall and expansion projects never come to fruition.

Facebook is a great example where VC's injected money, but let the experts run the company to their business plan (i.e. not going after the quick buck) as they bought into the bigger picture. Without a particular hedge fund that I work with, certain rare examples of collectible classic cars would have perished. Instead have been restored, curated and retained as ever-appreciating assets with no plans for sale. As far as 'asset stripping' goes, we don't really have enough to justify making a profit on the purchase price. The land owned is not in premium locations, and waiting for these areas to be redeveloped is an unnecessarily long-game for the mooted returns.

All this is reliant on the prospective buyers being GOOD venture capitalists of course, but without knowing more about the parties, their track record and motives, it can be misleading to tar all 'investment firms' with one shitty brush. 

I have no idea if this group can be classed as a good example of a VC firm, but I did hear a whisper that Blue Horseshoe loves Anacot Steel.

Thats a great post for us non finance people. Puts it into a lot of perspective.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Lion = Dragon in Chinese zodiac - 

Those who wish to know the deeper side of Leo (and they DO have one!,) should know that this slinky, proud Sign is called "The Dragon" in Chinese Astrology; that huge, magical mythic creature who can lay waste to everything around it with a single breath, gathers up Jewels plundered from far and near to sleep on, and who is more than just a little bit vain. All of that would be merely amusing were it not for the fact that ONLY THE DRAGON CAN REALLY MAKE A NATION (or any OTHER gathering of people) "NOBLE" AND PROSPEROUS; for The Dragon truly IS a Monarch, and it's words can make one a Lord or Lady of the Court.

If this astrology nonsense gets us nice new owners, then I'm all for it :)

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If this astrology nonsense gets us nice new owners, then I'm all for it :)

Yeah, I think it could be significant - I'm sure not a deciding factor but nonetheless makes for some effective marketing in China...

The Sanskrit word for lion is Simha. This name was given to their land, which later became Sina and finally China. In China, the lion is regarded as the king of the forests and of the other animals. It has thus long been used as a symbol of power and grandeur. It is even believed to offer protection from evil spirits. That is why imposing statues of lions were placed at the gates of imperial palaces, official residences, temples and tombs. In cense burners and imperial seals were also often decorated with carved lions. Indeed, like images of the dragon, carved lions can be seen almost everywhere in China. The most famous carved lions are the pair that guard Tian-anmen, the main entrance of the Forbidden City. Several meters tall, these marble lions have been poised imposingly on the stone plinths for more than 500 years. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

...but we're currently running at £30m annual loss, reduced revenue coming in plus Randy couldn't sell it for £150 over the past 2 years either...

The new TV deal means we won't lose much revenue this year. It'll only become an issue if we don't go up at first attempt then with the new TV deal being huge we should easily be able to turn a profit. We have been very badly run on and off the pitch for years. A club of our size should be having a much bigger turnover than what we have. None of that will matter if we don't get up next season though. 

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

we do not have a premier league infrastructure.

Ground, support, brand, facilities are all worthy of the top tier.

Staffing will need to be addressed, but the framework is there to be a Premier League club again.

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Ground, support, brand, facilities are all worthy of the top tier.

Staffing will need to be addressed, but the framework is there to be a Premier League club again.

There is a difference between having physical assets,  ie the ground and training facilities and having an infrastructure to support a top flight football club.

I have no doubt our ground is good quality,  our training facilities are second to none,  our fans are amazing and a credit to any club.  The brand i do not agree is a good one.

However ,  the structure is most definitely not supportive of a top flight club