The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Has anyone considered whether the retention of Reilly and the link with this guy  - both of whom are a bit more along the 'moneyball' route - could mean we are continuing with that strategy and that this could be another thing that may have been at complete odds with any changes King and Bernstein wanted ?

Again, I care enough to say it but not to think too hard about it, I'm afraid I am nearly all 'Villared' out.......

Since when has Riley been classed as a moneyball bloke? Last year we signed a mixture of experienced and foreign players. I don't think any signing was a cheap gamble all were decent money with good or improving reputations. Our problem was not having a manager who bought into it which left us with a lop sided disenfranchised squad. We have a target man yet no one who crosses the ball! We play attacking full backs that can't cross. One up front with no midfielders that hit the box. Individually Riley's signings are decent it's just we haven't got a squad with a plan of play. I don't blame him for that. He supplies the players. He doesn't fill out the squad. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Duck said:

Because so far all of our ex arsenal staff have been AMAZING.

Cant argue with his record though. Just a bit dubious about another arsenal connection

And at Spurs and Liverpool?

I prefer the Dan Ashworth link a few weeks back although seems like that was tenuous. 

44 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Moneyball is just a buzzword nowadays.

Agreed.

But my point was really whether Reilly and Corleone were 2 that worked in a similar way.  I thought they did, and that might have been a different way to what King etc envisaged..........but as I said I don't know whether that is the case or whether its relevant, just a thought.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2885487,00.html

I knew Id seen it somewhere.........this database approach ..........

Anyway, databases are used by loads of people, I just had it in my head that the 2 of them were a bit more 'sciencey' and a fair bit less 'go and watchy'.

That's me done.

Edited by terrytini

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Agreed.

But my point was really whether Reilly and Corleone were 2 that worked in a similar way.  I thought they did, and that might have been a different way to what King etc envisaged..........but as I said I don't know whether that is the case or whether its relevant, just a thought.

Corleone?

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Corleone?

Yeah, him and his Chinese partners are going to make Lerner an offer he can't refuse.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well we've been flogging a dead horse for longer than I care to remember..........Ba dum Tish !

Time for the Fredo of the Lerner family to sell up

46 minutes ago, terrytini said:

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2885487,00.html

I knew Id seen it somewhere.........this database approach ..........

Anyway, databases are used by loads of people, I just had it in my head that the 2 of them were a bit more 'sciencey' and a fair bit less 'go and watchy'.

That's me done.

On databases they are used by loads of clubs. There is a company here in Birmingham called Scout 7 who are one of the service providers for many clubs in Europe. I've been lucky enough to see the back end (ooh er missus) of it, it's pretty impressive. 

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:Since when has Riley been classed as a moneyball bloke? Last year we signed a mixture of experienced and foreign players. I don't think any signing was a cheap gamble all were decent money with good or improving reputations. Our problem was not having a manager who bought into it which left us with a lop sided disenfranchised squad. We have a target man yet no one who crosses the ball! We play attacking full backs that can't cross. One up front with no midfielders that hit the box. Individually Riley's signings are decent it's just we haven't got a squad with a plan of play. I don't blame him for that. He supplies the players. He doesn't fill out the squad. 

http://www.myoldmansaid.com/sir-alex-ferguson-says-aston-villa-moneyball-undermines-manager/

"There’s a lot of this Moneyball thing happening, Brentford, Brighton, Aston Villa, a lot of them are doing this thing and I’m not sure it’s the right way ahead,” said Ferguson.