The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

looking at their wiki they own 20% of atletico madrid, they bought the swiss tv company that owns the rights to the world cup footage, they are going to sponsor the next 4 world cups, they've got some deal in spain that will see 30 chinese kids a year train there, they sponsor a chinese league team, they are trying to boost sports in china and their own position in global sports

i think most importantly for me they are property developers, they own commercial properties, lots of them... tons of cinemas, shopping centres, they have $60bn worth of assets, form what i can see they've only tried to develop 1 thing in the UK, a $1.1bn hotel in london but the plan was scrapped

the only way i can see these coming for villa is if they are coming for birmingham

devflyingpigs.jpg

I'm not getting my hopes up until it's final, announced on the news and Lerner has taken his name off the office door and is never to return. We've been down this speculative road before and it just ends up in utter frustration. I'm out.

34 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Whats unbelievable about it?

I would dearly love to own an e-type Jag, and I would own it and drive it for my own enjoyment.

I have an idea of what I think a reasonable price is for a one in a reasonable condition. That doesn't mean I'm going to rush out and buy one straight away though if I could afford it. I'd have to enter into extensive negotiations first (with the missus).

I certainly wouldn't buy one more expensive than i think it should be, just because i want one and i can afford it.

If I find one cheaper than i would think it should be, it doesn't mean I'm less likely to buy it just because i didn't buy one at fair value. In fact, I would be more likely to buy it.

Exactly the same principle here in my opinion. Doesn't matter if the club is bought for personal enjoyment as opposed to a business investment.

• Like 1

A nagging sense of inevitability set in against Leicester City despite the late lead we enjoyed. Can't say why although I doubt I'm alone...

How many seasons after all can one hold on and hope to slide through? That is not Aston Villa. That kind of desperate existence is totally unacceptable, unbearable and totally incompatible with Villa's glorious past. That is not what, or why, I looked to get involved back then and it is why I've looked for some time to make a change. I can say certainly in good faith that I have tried to sell since my May 2014 announcement and put our beloved club in better suited hands - but that hasn't happened.

I write to Villa supporters to make clear that this relegation lies at my feet and no one else's. And because I believe in Aston Villa and know it will come back stronger and more able, with love and care for the community it serves, with the edge and attitude it must have to represent our history and tradition. Memories of Acorns on the shirt, and Ashley Young scoring a late winner against Everton still romantically nourish me. I know Villa will return better, stronger.

I will continue to try to put the club into worthy hands as I have, and also do my best to position Villa for the quickest possible return to its rightful place among England's elite.

R Lerner

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5514988,00.html

Statement by Lerner.

Edited by DoubtGin

That doesn't sound like a sale is on. 

Just PR shit to combat the fact 2 directors have just made it clear to the public he's a word removed.

Talking like he's always cared for us. Yeah that's why we're down. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, I don't believe a word of it. I'm pretty sure I was at least partially responsible for beginning the Wang Jianlin rumours in the first place. 

I think I am due a slice of the blame as well for putting the Wang Jianlin story from "FinanceAsia" out there in the "custodian's" thread on the 13th. Although the article was under the heading "What if..Wanda bought Aston Villa" and is from a column that "analyses unusual M & A ideas in Asia. These deals might not take place, but perhaps they should". It seems the press have run with it as they have yet again with the Ellison claim. 

As I said last week "nothing may of course come of this but it at least puts the for sale sign up again and someone at Wanda or somewhere else who reads this just might bite". At least the press did. I hope others have as well. For me Wang Jianlin or Ellison bidding to take us over is too good to be true so probably it is not. I also think that having anyone already waiting in the wings to take us over was more than a tad unlikely at the point that news of the departure of King and Bernstein got out. Still we can but hope!           

Edited by John

I don't understand that statement, or even why it's called a statement.

It's more of a ramble than anything. Maybe this is why he doesn't speak very often because he's clearly not very good at it :lol:.

• Like 3

I don't know why he bothers with statements. The only statement he can give that doesn't get criticised or is pointless is the one that says 'this morning I've flogged the club to the first person who said the magic number that gets this midlife crisis millstone from round my neck as fast as possible'.

Anything else he's wasting his time. Although of course he also gets criticised for not saying anything, so he's damned either way. He can't really say anything that isn't 'the sale has happened' with any good outcome. He can't say he's in the process with a party, because of it falls through he looks moronic, or it may affect deal processes with any interested parties. Anything else doesn't say anything.

He may as well just shut up. Or release periodical one line 'yeah, still trying to flog it' statements.

• Like 2