The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

Sounds like it's big money investors then.

The Chinese would be my personal preference. Much more potential for puns :D

Bit dubious about the European/British consortium. Might fall apart after the European referendum...

• Like 2

It's season ticket renewal time. 

I'm only half joking. Let's be honest, Lerner is a **** hopeless businessman. I wouldn't trust him to sell Buckingham Palace for 50p to a tourist. So take absolutely everything with a mountain of salt. 

After all, it has been barely a week since this "football board" collapsed and their letters didn't strike me as "because the club is about to be sold". 

Let us all pray it's not another smokescreen. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

The 'Rich Fan Consortium' doesn't particularly whet my appetite. Dunno why because I don't know anything about it but I just imagine a couple of Howard Hodgsons. 

i couldnt think of anything better than rich fans buying the club, surely people at the top with the clubs interests at heart would be win win win? Or am i being silly?

Regarding the rich fans; it would be great to have people in charge that love the club but surely being a capable owner is more important? Football'a a cut-throat business that requires someone to really know what they're doing. I don't profess to know all of the ins and out of running a club but it's not going to be easy. For me the most important aspect is their ability, and their bank balance. It's not necessary that they are fans for me. Whether the combination of rich, successful business owner and villa fan exists out there though, I've no idea.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

i couldnt think of anything better than rich fans buying the club, surely people at the top with the clubs interests at heart would be win win win? Or am i being silly?

I guess my thing is how rich is rich?

A couple of Howard Hodgsons? Nah thanks. I don't mean that to sound as bad as it does - it's just I couldn't see that working out. It's a ridiculous thing for me to have that opinion when we don't even know who is involved. Just because someone has the the club's best interests at heart (note thinks - I'm sure Collymore thinks he's got the best interests of the club in his heart) doesn't mean that it could be translated.

Similarly, we need someone who is more than just a lot of money. 

Seeing as the games are so crap these days perhaps last home game of the season at half time everyone in the home end could take an X Factor vote and we go to the winner. At least that'd sell tickets. :D Note to self - stop giving club ridiculous ideas.

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Who is the richest man in birmingham?

And does he support Aston Villa ?

Apparently Lord Bamford of JCB and his family are the richest in Birmingham.

No idea who he supports though. I'd guess Wolves looking at his companies brand colours.

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Regarding the rich fans; it would be great to have people in charge that love the club but surely being a capable owner is more important? Football'a a cut-throat business that requires someone to really know what they're doing. I don't profess to know all of the ins and out of running a club but it's not going to be easy. For me the most important aspect is their ability, and their bank balance. It's not necessary that they are fans for me. Whether the combination of rich, successful business owner and villa fan exists out there though, I've no idea.

Agreed, Randy was a 'rich Fan' after all and that didn't turn out so well!

My guess is that King has been involved all along with smoothing things over with a takeover, it would make sense with the Villa fan links.  Perhaps a last minute bidder came in and tempted Randy to look elsewhere, hence the fractious last week or so.  As long as Randy sells to the right person, I don't mind.  Tbf I still have trust in him to get it right.

This is last years Birmingham rich list. Not much choice, look who's number four :rolleyes:

1 Lord Bamford £3.3bn    Manufacturing

2 Lord Paul of Marylebone £2bn    Manufacturing

3 Jacques Murray £1.0bn    Manufacturing

4 Randy Lerner £950m   Banking/Football

5 Ranjit and Baljinder Boparan Singh£800m   Food

6 John Bloor £750m   Manufacturing/Construction

7 Steve Morgan £650m   Construction/Football

8 Sir Peter Rigby £550m   IT/Aerospace

Way I read the BMail story is that there is an British group that have been accepted as one of the three bidders, and another 'mystery' British consortium who haven't quite got their act together yet.

The story looks approximately authentic to me (as a totally OTK observer).

Makes you wonder why its taken so long for these bids to come in? Shame wasnt around xmas time we might have had a chance to stay up.

I would assume the price has dropped dramatically with thw relegation 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Makes you wonder why its taken so long for these bids to come in? Shame wasnt around xmas time we might have had a chance to stay up.

I would assume the price has dropped dramatically with thw relegation 

Depending which source you believe we've gone from about £200m to as low as £75m with the current figure banded about being £100m. So at the very least we're going for half-price right now which is going to make us look rather enticing.