The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

2 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

Sorry where in my posts did I say that ? 

I just said that I'm exited and looking forward in hope.

It's the classic VT argument - basically there is no middle ground.

• Like 2

I think Samuelson's  disreputable past is being over exaggerated.  As far as I can tell he was accused of potential money laundering but was not charged.  I don't think it's fair to assume he is guilty when he had not been convicted of the offence.  

Also  I haven't read of any financial irregularities at Reading when he was there or subsequently after.

Looking at previous comments people seem concerned that he had tried to buy clubs and failed.  If failed takeovers were an indication of dodgy behaviour then most business men in the world would be unsuitable (including Richard Branson) ;).   

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

No - I'm in the middle ground. Hopeful and worried at the same time.

This guy is "astounded that anyone has any concerns"

8 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

and have no concerns at all (and are ASTOUNDED, if anyone else should have some reservations)

None at this stage as I have said.

So far you have said worried, concerned ,reservations and fearfull unless I've missed any?

Any more ? 

15 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

That's like having 7 terminal illness' but not being concerned about possibly dying! 

Some would call it positivity, some blind optimism. Nigel Pearson would call you an ostrich! 

Your comparing 7 terminal illnesses to some speculation about a football takeover ?

I bet your the life and soul of the party.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The middle ground is; We are all chuffed Lerner has gone. We all HOPE this is the dawn of a great new era. We all WANT the doc to be our saviour - a man to take us back to the Prem and beyond. We are all desperate to see it work. 

What splits people is the detail (or lack of it). 

People like me might be making too much of certain things, but for people to not have any concerns at all about this deal? Now that's astonishing. 

There are legitimate concerns all over the show. Anybody denying that is basing their opinion on hope/optimism alone and ignoring the rest. 

• Like 1

Just now, wazzap24 said:

The middle ground is; We are all chuffed Lerner has gone. We all HOPE this is the dawn of a great new era. We all WANT the doc to be our saviour - a man to take us back to the Prem and beyond. We are all desperate to see it work. 

What splits people is the detail (or lack of it). 

People like me might be making too much of certain things, but for people to not have any concerns at all about this deal? Now that's astonishing. 

There are legitimate concerns all over the show. Anybody denying that is basing their opinion on hope/optimism alone and ignoring the rest. 

Of course, but some are going way over the top.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dounavilla said:

Your comparing 7 terminal illnesses to some speculation about a football takeover ?

I bet your the life and soul of the party.

I thought it was an astonishingly accurate analogy :P

1 hour ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Well, yes. If it turns out that this deal is, for lack of a better term, state sponsored, then serious questions need to be asked. A lot of fans couldn't give a toss about where the money comes from as long as it keeps coming. Others, myself included, are less keen to see the club become, directly or indirectly, entangled in the political maneuverings of the CCP.

But as we have no clear evidence that this is the case, I'm just going to focus on scrutinizing what has been said and whether or not Recon group are capable of backing up their words. At the moment, I don't think they are.

The irony would be brutal if the same fans who protested about free-speech when their banners were confiscated, kept silent about accepting dirty money from a country like China.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You want it to fail? That would be really bad for us as a club 

In reference to the person you quoted. The only reason to want this to fail should be if it is dodgy not on the assumption it is dodgy.

The only likely positive outcome is if it goes ahead and it is all ok. Dodgy we are screwed and if falls through we are screwed as it would be difficult to resurrect another bid in a timely manner.

The way I see it, nobody buys a football club stumping up £60-£75mil and a further £40mil if you don't have the cash, bearing in mind it's been paid straight up. That's a lot of money to pay in one hit. He's making bold claims about being in the top 3 in the world which indicates ambition and ambition in football cost money. I think the concerns about the recon owning x amount of companies is just an idiot at villas press office not understanding what is going on and the more everyone is thinking about it all, the worse it's going to get. I personally can't wait for the months ahead, bring it on

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cosofsaunders said:

The way I see it, nobody buys a football club stumping up £60-£75mil and a further £40mil if you don't have the cash, bearing in mind it's been paid straight up. That's a lot of money to pay in one hit. He's making bold claims about being in the top 3 in the world which indicates ambition and ambition in football cost money. I think the concerns about the recon owning x amount of companies is just an idiot at villas press office not understanding what is going on and the more everyone is thinking about it all, the worse it's going to get. I personally can't wait for the months ahead, bring it on

It sounds like the Chinese government wouldn't allow one of their own to invest over here either unless it's with their will/backing.  Ultimately I can't tell either way, at least not until the fit and proper person test is completed and when the manager is revealed next week.  I think those two things will reveal a huge amount - there are obviously some very complex and unusual things going on with this but I just go back to Hollis and Lerner being convinced that this deal was the right one compared to a half dozen others ones.  I suspect that he has government backing and Recon is mainly going to be used as the company they are going to funnel the funds through.

• Like 1

It sounds like the Chinese government wouldn't allow one of their own to invest over here either unless it's with their will/backing.  Ultimately I can't tell either way, at least not until the fit and proper person test is completed and when the manager is revealed next week.  I think those two things will reveal a huge amount - there are obviously some very complex and unusual things going on with this but I just go back to Hollis and Lerner being convinced that this deal was the right one compared to a half dozen others ones.  I suspect that he has government backing and Recon is mainly going to be used as the company they are going to funnel the funds through.

Which if u ask me can only be a good thing. Next week we will have mourinho unveiled at a press conference saying he can't wait to make us huge and he was offered the Utd job but chose this as it had more potential.. It's good to dream

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Deisel in the understanding China thread explains the relationship really well. To run a land owning/development company in China you first need to buy from the government. Then as your business evolves you still need the government on board. The government now decide that it wants to take over football so that becomes an authorised opportunity for your business to expand abroad. I don;t believe that Tony actually needs government funds to run AVFC, but for sure if he needs a loan in the future he'll be getting it at minimal interest rates. This is a very good situation for us. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

This "dirty money" thing is mostly bollocks.  I can't bothered to do dig out the figures, but China is the second biggest economy (soon to be the biggest) in the world. It has been growing at an astounding rate over the last 10-15 years, mainly because just about every 'western company' in the world (e.g. BMW, Starbucks, Tesco, Apple - hundreds of firms) have been scrambling over themselves to pour investment (billions) into the country since it opened its borders in the 1980s and 90s. The growth rate and Foreign direct Investment has been staggering and that has created enormous wealth in China.  Have you not noticed all the countries in the world (including the UK) trying to attract inward investment from China.  I am not saying their Government is whiter than white - no Government is and China's human rights record is not great, but to try and suggest everything out of China is dirty money is bloody ridiculous.  Your just ignoring the blindingly obvious.

This.

I'm still optimistic but It's all been a bit crap at the thought that it might go wrong. 

I just saw a little lad in Chippenham with a Villa shirt, without a care in the world and a smile on his face. I'm taking a leaf out of his book. Positive thoughts fromnow on until there is a reason not to.

• Like 1