The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

6 hours ago, Daweii said:

The issue with Lerner is he was spending his own personal money. Lerner himself if he had carried on as he started wouldn't have been bad but when you see your own personal finances vanishing you put on the brakes pretty fast. Xia may wind up to be better or worse but it also seems that wherever he's getting the money from he's not spending his own money, which in the short to medium term at least means we will likely get insane financial support. Our issue is if after he's spent £300, £400, £500 million+ if we still haven't won the league and started to reap financial benefits in China and success in China for his other businesses we might be in trouble. 

I believe it was Diesler talking about Evergrande who took over a team several years ago. The business was only worth £2-3 billion but Evergrande's owner spent over £1 billion on the club over three years, yet after several super league wins his core business is now worth £10+ billion due to popularity of his sports team. He also got a non-political place in the government as a reward of sorts. We don't know how much Recon Group is actually worth, but it could be that Xia is hoping for the same so is willing to spend billions of his companies money to do it knowing it could pay off big time. If Xia's goal is for Recon to be at least known China wide and worth far more than it is now then we are certainly a way to do that if previous Chinese owned clubs are to go by.

Good point

it could well be that while things look ify in terms of western corporate values, they have an alternative method of reaching our holy grail.

The bottom line is it may be worth keeping an open mind and just watching football events unfold and make our judgements as we go.

assuming Tony X passes the leagues tests.

• Like 1

Dr X has stated that his main objective from owning the Villa is to improve football in China.  This 100% aligns with the known policy of the Chinese government.  Am I wrong to draw a line between those two things?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Ultimately if we win I couldn't care less if we were owned by Lex Luthor

That would be cool though wouldn't it!? LexCorp also owned the Daily Planet for a little while, so could get some good press from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyC said:

one bad experience and you taint a whole nation. The company I work for has worked with the Chinese for 15 years, they have helped us triple the businesses turnover and they cant do enough for us. I personally have been dealing with our Chinese suppliers for 5 years on a daily basis, their commitment to get the job done day or middle of the night is brilliant.

I have emailed my contacts there asking if they know anything about our new owner.

No not 1 bad experience, he's had many instances. He's not the only person I know who finds dealing with the Chinese businessmen difficult but there's not much point in going into detail here.

You'll find out what you want to hear....no doubt.

4 minutes ago, SeanO said:

No not 1 bad experience, he's had many instances. He's not the only person I know who finds dealing with the Chinese businessmen difficult but there's not much point in going into detail here.

You'll find out what you want to hear....no doubt.

You are correct, there will be many examples of dodgy Chinese business deals and men, just the same as the UK, USA, Spain, France etc etc. Every country in the world has a cess pool of white collar criminals, that does not make the whole country corrupt though.

For the time being we have to put our faith in Hollis and the fit and proper test.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SeanO said:

I've dealt with Chinese, Brazilian, Indian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, English etc. businesses and businessmen. Yes there have been difficult Chinese firms but there have been fantastic ones, I can say the exact same thing about every other country I've bought products from.

Including British firms.

• Like 1

Why didn't we just take the easy route and accept Ellison's bid

Was he not rich enough or something

Do we vs know for a fact that Ellison bid?

And I thought it was a consortium with ties to Ellison? If they had bought us we'd have the FT and other naysayers currently sat combing through what the exact ties to Ellison are...

We were never on the brink of Ellison putting his $50bn in to the club

1 minute ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

We should know from the outset because the cost of it going wrong is too high.

I think this is the case with most takeovers, if not all. There is always a chance that something will go wrong and/or the owner turns out to be a right mess.

Only time will tell what will happen to our good club.

Best case, Xia never misrepresented anything, Hollis is a **** buffoon who misunderstands comments, then publicly repeats his misunderstandings without verifying it. Which is still a little worrying in terms of due diligence he's done, but it's significantly less worrying than our new chairman deliberately trying to mislead us.

In that pic of Samuelson at the newcastle game, nearly everyone in the exec box was looking bored in their posh chinos, while Tony was sat wearing a villa shirt taking a pic of the game on his phone - that gives me a lot of confidence in our new owner.

• Like 2

(More than likely) Unrelated but something I saw as exciting was the prospect that with Chinese investment, Villa would be the platform upon which ties between Birmingham and China grew and we would benefit as a result. The very recent announcement of regular direct flights to China from BHX was a massive step forward.

However, yesterday that particular train fell off the rails too China-BHX Flights Scrapped

Shame

39 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Best case, Xia never misrepresented anything, Hollis is a **** buffoon who misunderstands comments, then publicly repeats his misunderstandings without verifying it. Which is still a little worrying in terms of due diligence he's done, but it's significantly less worrying than our new chairman deliberately trying to mislead us.

But when you point this out you get berated by others and informed of his 32 years experience at KPMG. Well did they teach buffoonery at KPMG? Although to be fair, having worked in that industry, I think I can safely say that the answer to that question is yes.