The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Touché, but Comolli didn't have his jersey on the wall and doesn't have past links with Wyness. On the balance of probabilities it is almost certain that Samuelson is involved.

Yes, but can you explain what you believe him to be up to and why it would be detrimental to villa? What is Samuelson's plan and where does Dr Tony fit in?

9 hours ago, Deisler123 said:

sure. I will collect some information and translate here. I have to say all of those are rumours - he has not been convicted to any crime/fraud activities afaik. 

I saw this accusation before. Something about misrepresenting himself to get the Harvard gig or not having gone there at all or something.  I find this hard to believe The Chinese government would be allowing a guy who has stitched them up to be trapsing around China running businesses earning hundreds of millions in personal wealth and buying high profile overseas sports clubs in a sport they are keen to project their power into. I am pretty sure somewhere along the way the Charlatan might have received a word in his ear from a representative of the government. 

Therefore I am pretty sure it's horse kack 

1 minute ago, Chicken Field said:

King and the other guy left because they disagreed about something, may it have been that they thought this was a bad idea ? and wanted Lerner to sell to someone else ? (I'm still optimistic though and hoping for the best) 

I think it's probably more to do with the manager search. Or the fact they wouldn't have a role to play. Either way, I couldn't give a monkeys what a bloke (regardless of who he is), who walks out after 4 weeks, thinks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I saw this accusation before. Something about misrepresenting himself to get the Harvard gig or not having gone there at all or something.  I find this hard to believe The Chinese government would be allowing a guy who has stitched them up to be trapsing around China running businesses earning hundreds of millions in personal wealth and buying high profile overseas sports clubs in a sport they are keen to project their power into. I am pretty sure somewhere along the way the Charlatan might have received a word in his ear from a representative of the government. 

ye they are rumours. I decided not to translate those in the end.

Edited by Deisler123

9 hours ago, KSV said:

the fact that AVFC official web site changed their statement of Xia. Surely this must mean the FT are right in their accusations. 

This is purely speculation on my behalf but I do wonder if this Recon thing really is just a front for indirect investment from the Chinese government. They have been rumbled by some pesky western journalist pdq as they are not really used to being questioned.  It is well documented that the Government regularly operate via companies  It's probably far fetched. I am sure there is a lot of money on the way this just may have been the story put out to distance the government but has not stood up to scrutiny 

I think if Cameron really is any kind of Villa fan he should immediately cake James Bond in some serious bronze foundation and dark eyeliner and parachute him into Recon and find out what's going on. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have had a lot of dealings with China and it is wrong to assume that "the Chinese government"  is a single unified body. Whoever Dr.Tony Xia claims to be, his source of wealth, connections etc may not be as straightforward as many assume. 

Since the initial euphoria I have become more concerned by the day. 

• Like 1

It's very much a case of wait and see for me, as others have said we'll see soon enough as we need to crack on with appointing a manager and signing some bloody players and also getting shot of half the squad.

What I will say though....if people like Venkys and Cellino can come in and be allowed to cause chaos then I can't really see Football league denying the Doctor and then the rest is up to him as to how he runs things.

2 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Been out for most of the day, and have come back to see a level of doubt cast on our new lord and masters.

Firstly, with Hollis and Xia confirming the deal is worth a lot more than the £60m quoted, it's a reasonable assumption to make that it's not Big Tone's personal wealth that is financing the purchase of the club. Especially if, as mooted, it's a cash deal paid in one installment.

Secondly, there seems to be some misinformation on Recon and their ownership of various brands, but knowing KPMG as I do through my work, I'm satisfied that a bean counter such as Steve Hollis will know all about the 'source of funds' for the club sale. That doesn't necessarily mean that we're privy to this info, but I'm sure the people involved are happy with the arrangement. Basic AML on deals much smaller require a huge amount of evidentiary statements, accounts and data before being permitted, so the sale of an international brand in excess of £75,000,000 will require bucket loads.

It's plausible that the company structure of Recon isn't what we initially thought it was, but that doesn't mean the funds aren't there. If a third party stated that Recon owned 5 brands but it turned out they only owned 2, but neither statement came from Dr. X then surely that's not a slight on him. Has he ever stated or mention the structure of Recon, or the source of funds for Aston Villa that's subsequently turned out to be false?   

I must echo this. This kind of thing is Hollis' forte.  We do about 5 different AML searches on a normal person taking out an investment portfolio never mind a transaction such as this.  However, this is all dependant what the FL/PL have as their process for AML and proof of source of funds/wealth.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I must echo this. This kind of thing is Hollis' forte.  We do about 5 different AML searches on a normal person taking out an investment portfolio never mind a transaction such as this.  However, this is all dependant what the FL/PL have as their process for AML and proof of source of funds/wealth.

AML searches for Chinese citizens are relatively meaningless. 

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 15:00, John said:

In "The Times" yesterday it was said "The Duke of Cambridge engages with the Chinese to get what he wants. During a trip to China in 2015 the prince sought their help in stifling the illegal trade in animal parts. He sat down for relaxed talks with Mr Xi even chatting about their common interest in football". I wonder did he mention we are for sale and that he wants a takeover to happen. Might this have played some little part in any Chinese interest in buying our football club that there might be? :detect:  

Given my reference above to a meeting in "The Times" and whether or not this chat about football had any impact at all on our takeover I suspect that if there was any real cause for concern about this first 100% takeover of an English football club by a Chinese businessman President Xi along with his advisors would be less than enthusiastic for such a deal to go through. If things went pear-shaped following this takeover that could lead to embarrassment they would rather avoid and I guess this would be particularly the case given a future king and the current Prime Minister of the UK happen to support the club concerned.     

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

AML searches for Chinese citizens are relatively meaningless. 

True to an extent.  There are plenty you can do though and more importantly you can still trace the money if you get enough evidence from Xia.  All depends how thorough you are.

24 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Problem is it could take us five years to realise he's bad. Happened with Lerner.

The issue with Lerner is he was spending his own personal money. Lerner himself if he had carried on as he started wouldn't have been bad but when you see your own personal finances vanishing you put on the brakes pretty fast. Xia may wind up to be better or worse but it also seems that wherever he's getting the money from he's not spending his own money, which in the short to medium term at least means we will likely get insane financial support. Our issue is if after he's spent £300, £400, £500 million+ if we still haven't won the league and started to reap financial benefits in China and success in China for his other businesses we might be in trouble. 

I believe it was Diesler talking about Evergrande who took over a team several years ago. The business was only worth £2-3 billion but Evergrande's owner spent over £1 billion on the club over three years, yet after several super league wins his core business is now worth £10+ billion due to popularity of his sports team. He also got a non-political place in the government as a reward of sorts. We don't know how much Recon Group is actually worth, but it could be that Xia is hoping for the same so is willing to spend billions of his companies money to do it knowing it could pay off big time. If Xia's goal is for Recon to be at least known China wide and worth far more than it is now then we are certainly a way to do that if previous Chinese owned clubs are to go by.

3 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

King and the other guy left because they disagreed about something, may it have been that they thought this was a bad idea ? and wanted Lerner to sell to someone else ? (I'm still optimistic though and hoping for the best) 

This keeps coming up, but AGAIN, in his interview afterwards, he said we had a bright future and he hopes the sale is concluded quickly!

• Like 2