The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

One of my concerns about this deal is the fact David Bernstein and Mervyn King left Villa at a time when this deal would have been in negotiations, their business savy and have the Villa at heart......why did they walk away from the club and this deal if it was a good sound business deal? 

They were acting on behalf of Lerner so, like Hollis, would be gone when the takeover happened anyway. They walked for exactly the reasons they said - King subsequently came out and said how exciting things would be if the takeover went through.

The media are playing on a mistake on the OS and things that were possibly lost in translation.

I suspect there's nothing to see here but time will tell.

I'm still excited.

• Like 2

The biggest worry I have is that Xia doesn't have great wealth, that an entity like the Vibrac Corporation have lent the cash to him and will swallow up the parachute payments and then proceed to asset strip the club when Xia doesn't have the cash to pay them back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrac_Corporation

Reading

Reading secured a £10m loan against the August 2014 parachute payment due after their relegation from the Premier League, this was secured after relegation.[6] Upon receiving the £10m parachute payment Reading will owe Vibrac a remaining £1.5million. With Reading seemingly unable to make the remaining payment Vibrac called in BGT to oversee the sale of the club. Vibrac pushed through the sale of Adam Le Fondre to Cardiff and seemingly made things difficult for the chairman, Sir John Madejski, by changing terms of sale on several occasions. This led to many potential investors disengaging with the club, whilst Vibrac sought to push through sale to the mystery Phoenix consortium, which involves former Director, and person for bringing Vibrac into Reading, Chris Samuelson. This called the Football League to look into the inappropriate role that Vibrac have given themselves, of running the club without having undertaken the Fit and Proper Persons Test.[7] Reading were subsequently fined £30,000 by The Football League in March 2015

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

This is suggesting that he might fail because of 'concerns over the financial muscle' of Recon. That has to be nonsense - the fit and proper test has nothing to do with wealth and nor should it. Most of the clubs in the football league are broke...

Yes, I think that is it really. The powers that would rather not have a Chinese government funded premier league team competing against the status quo, will now do all they can to make this takeover difficult and will use every lever at their disposal including certain media outlets. But again, it comes back to Hollis, he will know exactly what is required of an international company when it comes to presenting financial credentials - if he thinks it will happen, it probably will.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yes, I think that is it really. The powers that would rather not have a Chinese government funded premier league team competing against the status quo, will now do all they can to make this takeover difficult and will use every lever at their disposal including certain media outlets. But again, it comes back to Hollis, he will know exactly what is required of an international company when it comes to presenting financial credentials - if he thinks it will happen, it probably will.

Think the only way financially he could fail the test is if he had been bankrupt before which i dont believe to be the case

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The biggest worry I have is that Xia doesn't have great wealth, that an entity like the Vibrac Corporation have lent the cash to him and will swallow up the parachute payments and then proceed to asset strip the club when Xia doesn't have the cash to pay them back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrac_Corporation

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic.

No your not. Be very worried Mr Samuelson is involved  in this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Think the only way financially he could fail the test is if he had been bankrupt before which i dont believe to be the case

Apparently there isn't a set of audited accounts for the Recon group - so I can see why that may raise a few eyebrows, but as a millionaire, surely Tony has a bank account of his own with 500 million quid in it and that would do the trick - Tony just shows them his last 3 bank statements and we're golden. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

They were acting on behalf of Lerner so, like Hollis, would be gone when the takeover happened anyway. They walked for exactly the reasons they said - King subsequently came out and said how exciting things would be if the takeover went through.

What was the trust issue? These two are proper business people with true credentials, King loves the Villa and he would have had all the facts, Lerner is just a distant figure with money , if there was loyalty to Lerner and the deal was 90% right  he would have stopped, in fact they both would have. 

Resigning together is a statement , its not just fate, people like these two plan and would never just walk away on minor issues.

If this was the deal on the table when they walked then in my opinion it doesn't seem right, the lack of accounts adds to this suspicion. 

My feeling is we will be refinanced to fund the deal after the sale goes through. Let's hope the football league take a real good look at this deal and speak , unofficially, to a couple of people who have all the facts at their disposal.......

• Like 1

Steve Hollis does not compare to Mervyn King when it comes to credentials, he's a minor player. King was the head of the whole  British economy.

King was in it for the love of the club, he left Hollis stayed.

• Like 1

Steve Hollis does not compare to Mervyn King when it comes to credentials, he's a minor player. King was the head of the whole  British economy.

King was also the one who said that Lerner needs to sell, and was positive about our future (and presumably he would have known about the buyers putting offers on the table). He would have definitely said something in his resignation letter about buyer he deemed to be a disastrous choice.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

Not many people do compare to Merv, but to be head of KPMG is not bad on the CV to be fair.

I know what amount of paperwork is required when someone wants to take $10m of shareholder protection, in a basic keyman insurance case. Companies like AVIVA and Zurich will want shit loads of information to ensure the anti money laundering aspect is not a factor in the deal, plus the premium and sum assured is affordable and justifiable. This is something that we structure all the time, so I can't imagine what is required in order for a asset transfer such as our club sale.

Randy's team will know whatever is worth knowing about Tony X, and for Steve Hollis, this sort of thing will be his bread and butter. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tinker said:

What was the trust issue? These two are proper business people with true credentials, King loves the Villa and he would have had all the facts, Lerner is just a distant figure with money , if there was loyalty to Lerner and the deal was 90% right  he would have stopped, in fact they both would have. 

Resigning together is a statement , its not just fate, people like these two plan and would never just walk away on minor issues.

If this was the deal on the table when they walked then in my opinion it doesn't seem right, the lack of accounts adds to this suspicion. 

My feeling is we will be refinanced to fund the deal after the sale goes through. Let's hope the football league take a real good look at this deal and speak , unofficially, to a couple of people who have all the facts at their disposal.......

You need to go back and re-read what they both said at the time if you are unwilling to accept the perfectly correct answers that have already been posted in the posts above.

We all want this to be a fairy tale...But we are right to challenge the validity.

i suspect the thought of RL leaving us has got the better of our sense of judgement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Is it confirmed that the 'Samuelson' involved is the guy that everyone is so worried about?

No it's not, it's a rumour that seems to stem from the fact there was a shirt that said Samuelson in that photo with Tony Xia in the locker room. He could be involved, but there's pretty much nothing to go on.

5 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

No it's not, it's a rumour that seems to stem from the fact there was a shirt that said Samuelson in that photo with Tony Xia in the locker room. He could be involved, but there's pretty much nothing to go on.

It has been reported in many papers that Samuelson advised Tony Xia on the deal.

2 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

It's also been reported in many papers that Comoli was involved, and now he hasn't even been contacted by them...

Touché, but Comolli didn't have his jersey on the wall and doesn't have past links with Wyness. On the balance of probabilities it is almost certain that Samuelson is involved.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro