The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Xia said he considered eight prospective clubs, including teams in Spain and Italy, before settling on Villa, which he said attracted him with its "mature" academy system.

He isn't a Villa fan (don't forget Lerner was the one who said this), but judging by his indepth knowledge of how the game works is a vivid football follower and certainly a genius in the game.

Just now, mjmooney said:

"Improving Chinese soccer, he said, "is actually our biggest objective". 

Well if the Chinese players are good enough and playing for us we will benefit as a club

• Like 2

I think this is is one of Xia's core 'private' companys (XWHO).  This links to Hollis' statement about him being instrumental in the regeneration and the building of cities and his background in design and architecture.  If you look at the scope of service it looks like it is a pretty major and longstanding company in China and with all the regeneration in China of late I would bet this is where a lot of the moneycomes from, along with the close ties with Government.  If you look at the link there are loads of projects.  Just posting because this gives me a bit of assurance that his business has some substance and he is more than just Lotus Healthcare.

http://www.xwhodesign.com/en/project.asp?li=4&page=1&c=1

Edited by Gary Thomas

Just two days since the take over was announced, the posts on one of the most popular chinese online chatting forum about Aston Villa has increased from 5 a day to 50,000 a day.

See this: http://tieba.baidu.com/f?ie=utf-8&kw=%E9%98%BF%E6%96%AF%E9%A1%BF%E7%BB%B4%E6%8B%89&fr=search 

In comparison to Man Utd sub forum where posts are normally around 500,000 to 1.5 mil a day.  http://tieba.baidu.com/f?ie=utf-8&kw=%E6%9B%BC%E8%81%94

The attention to Villa and the new owner is certainly increasing in China. This is quite encouranging for Xia. I think this may add to his confidence of this take over.

To fulfill Xia's may-be ambition of making Villa the most famous club in China, he clearly has a lot to work on.

Edited by Deisler123
  • Like 2

And for those saying the club has mislead by saying a sale is confirmed I believe the wording is "Aston Villa Football Club this week announced that an agreement has been signed for the sale of 100% ownership by Randy Lerner to Recon Group owned by Dr Tony Xia subject to the approval of the Premier League and the Football League. "

16 minutes ago, meme said:

the club is too much of a shambles to sit back in China and run it from there.

Besides, if he's learnt anything from Lerner, it's to actually GO to games.

Well yes and no. Going to games is irrelevant - Sheik Mansour doesn't go to Man City games, for example. The club is a shambles, but I'd hope that someone who knows about Football is given the job of running it. I'm wary of people who have no knowledge fo football being in charge of the running of clubs. The wise rich men employ experts to do what the expert are good at.

If Dr. Tony wants to go to games, great. But we know that "interfering" owners are a menace. By all means enjoy and observe, but don't "know best" when they clearly don't "know best".

• Like 1

People seem to overlook the fact that our badge was changed (at cost, and to some bemusement) not that long ago.  I'd wager he/whoever now owns us have had an influence on us for quite a while.  

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

"Improving Chinese soccer, he said, "is actually our biggest objective". 

Yes, hard to see how this will be a benefit to us. Chinese players are **** terrible, and they will be terrible for a long time. 

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

If I may summarise for you

1. Hollis said he was involbved in the Birds Nest - the FT disputed this.  So a statement not made by XIa but by AVFC

2. In the official announcement yesterday it was said he owned 5 compa nies.  Again the FT have disputed this and it turns out they are negotiating to buy five companies .  Again a club statement not a statement by Xia

3. There have been concerns about uncertain issues since yesterday and that there is little "clarity" on Xia and his business.  So again nothing XIa has said,  more things that he has not said.

4. There seems to be general unease because he is Chinese,  this may be being unfair but comparisons to the unwashed persist.

So in a nutshell nothing Xia has said more reports from others which people on this site seem to be losing their mind over

For me it is not what he said or didn't say but more of where is he getting his money from? You can not become super rich through 1 company that lost millions last year. 5 companies yes but he doesn't own 5 and if he is buying another 4 then .... where is that money coming from? If it is all via borrowing then we may live to regret this in the future if the economy tanks or China has some sort of major slow down. If he has private backing or government backing then I would be happier but he has denied this. I live in hope but 2 and 2 is not yet equaling 4.

"The little-known businessman who bought Aston Villa is hoping to improve both the English club and Chinese soccer in general."

This concerns me, a little - if he has been involved in the regeneration and building cities in China, I would have thought that he would have been a very well known individual (or at least the companies that are doing the work would be high profile).

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

And if they turn out to be not good enough they won't play for us. What's the problem?

Yep, agree with this. It'll get us exposure in China at the very least.  I'll draw a line in demanding players play for us but that has yet to be put on the table and me, being the optimist, doesn't think that'll happen. 

Edited by trekka

4 minutes ago, VillaBrum said:

"The little-known businessman who bought Aston Villa is hoping to improve both the English club and Chinese soccer in general."

This concerns me, a little - if he has been involved in the regeneration and building cities in China, I would have thought that he would have been a very well known individual (or at least the companies that are doing the work would be high profile).

Thing is, you can be involved with that sort of thing and still not be well-known. I bet there are loads of people who do similar things here who hardly anybody is aware of.

Wasn't he a billionaire yesterday with 100 billion turnover or something from his companies and a space launch program, now he is borrowing money?!

Don't honestly know what's going on, I'm pretty positive everything is above board tho, hopefully he is a multi-billionaire who wants to make Villa one of the worlds top clubs, where his money comes from, that's up to him.

Edited by Tommo_b

3 minutes ago, Texas_Mike said:

For me it is not what he said or didn't say but more of where is he getting his money from? You can not become super rich through 1 company that lost millions last year. 5 companies yes but he doesn't own 5 and if he is buying another 4 then .... where is that money coming from?

The Recon group appears to have investments in lots of companies, definitely more than 5.  The 5 just refers to those that are publicly listed on the stock exchange - they have interests in many more companies than that.  I posted above that my bet would be that XWHO (link) is one of his main sources of income - it ties in with what Hollis was saying about him and the HUGE regeneration that has been going on in China over the last 10-15 years.  Looking at this I actually feel reasonably confident we are going to be OK with this guy, but time will tell. 

6 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Wasn't he a billionaire yesterday with 100 billion turnover or something from his companies and a space launch program, now he is borrowing money?!

He was also an ex Harvard professor and had control of 5 companies, that was bollocks too. Lots of unfortunate misunderstandings around this chap.

Have we figured out if he's 30, 39, or 40 yet?